.223 Vs .308

This is a discussion on .223 Vs .308 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by OPFOR If I had only one rifle, it would be a carbine length AR style platform in 5.56. With the right bullets/optics/set ...

View Poll Results: If you one black gun what caliber would it be

Voters
304. You may not vote on this poll
  • 223 I am a civilian

133 43.75%
  • 308 I am a civilian

101 33.22%
  • 223 I have combat experience

34 11.18%
  • 308 I have combat experience

36 11.84%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: .223 Vs .308

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    If I had only one rifle, it would be a carbine length AR style platform in 5.56. With the right bullets/optics/set up, it can do just about anything you could ask a rifle to do reasonably well - and it's quick and easy to change that set up if the task changes. Ammo is light, (relatively) inexpensive, and easy to find. Mag capacity is high. Recoil is almost nil. Suppressors work quite well. Platforms are generally light, compact, and easy to handle. Accessories are unlimited. With a good quality set up, you can hit at 500m, or you can clear an apartment with authority. All around, general purpose, jack-of-all-trades (and admittedly master of none) rifle/ammo combination.

That being said, I'm buying a new rifle in both calibers as soon as I hit the sandbox again!

When you "hit the sandbox" ???

Or did you mean when you get back from the sandbox with your combat pay ?

Remember, no one get's away with taking POW's into theater.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

2. Remove Ads

I made out pretty well - the other RIPees that came to my Company went to Weapons Platoon and ended up humping mortar baseplates!
    I thought you where an officer ? Since when do officers go through RIP ?????

VIP Member
    Skygod - I'm not going with .mil this time, though I may as well be for what my job entails. And I was talking about spending the money, not bringing the weapon, though I know that I could get away with bringing any upper that I want - as long as I'm using an issue serial number (lower) I'm good to go.

And I came in as an E-1, it wasn't until many moons later that I went to OCS...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Administrator
    I got a broken leg in RIP... Ahh, the memorys this thread has brought back.
    "Just blame Sixto"

.308 FAL Para 18'' were I a rich man.
    Glock 19/FEG/FM HiPowers/Keltec P32 for me. When I can't use my 870,N98 or Marlin .30-30 of course...

Skygod - I'm not going with .mil this time, though I may as well be for what my job entails. And I was talking about spending the money, not bringing the weapon, though I know that I could get away with bringing any upper that I want - as long as I'm using an issue serial number (lower) I'm good to go.

And I came in as an E-1, it wasn't until many moons later that I went to OCS...
    I went through as an E-2, many moons ago also. No mortar plates here, rifle platoon.

Somehow I was alway's under the impression that you have been with the officer corps your entire military career. No problems Bro'

If your PMC'ing, then yes, take what you want.

VIP Member
    No worries...I was enlisted for 7+ years before OCS. EB to gunner to senior gunner/acting weapon squad leader to rifle team leader to rifle squad leader to scout squad leader to rifle platoon leader (x2) to scout platoon leader to recon/sniper platoon leader to S-1 to "hey, staff sucks" to IRR. I'm going to have to squeeze in a few more "good" years here and there to get my retirement, but I think I've done just about every fun job in the infantry, so I'm not fighting for more service.

And no, I'm not PMCing, though I'll be with them basically 24/7. I'm still under .gov, but with a bit more leeway this time. Once I'm settled and know for sure what I'm doing, I'll let you know. It has the potential to be pretty interesting... Oh, and I'll be packing a 5.56N, regardless!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

No worries...I was enlisted for 7+ years before OCS. EB to gunner to senior gunner/acting weapon squad leader to rifle team leader to rifle squad leader to scout squad leader to rifle platoon leader (x2) to scout platoon leader to recon/sniper platoon leader to S-1 to "hey, staff sucks" to IRR. I'm going to have to squeeze in a few more "good" years here and there to get my retirement, but I think I've done just about every fun job in the infantry, so I'm not fighting for more service.

And no, I'm not PMCing, though I'll be with them basically 24/7. I'm still under .gov, but with a bit more leeway this time. Once I'm settled and know for sure what I'm doing, I'll let you know. It has the potential to be pretty interesting... Oh, and I'll be packing a 5.56N, regardless!
    At least you didn't have to accept orders to the 82nd. We had a whole damn rifle platoon and rifle platoon leader who got orders to the 505th PIR and the Fox's went to 321 and 319th.

That's another thread though.

If I had only one rifle, it would be a carbine length AR style platform in 5.56. With the right bullets/optics/set up, it can do just about anything you could ask a rifle to do reasonably well - and it's quick and easy to change that set up if the task changes. Ammo is light, (relatively) inexpensive, and easy to find. Mag capacity is high. Recoil is almost nil. Suppressors work quite well. Platforms are generally light, compact, and easy to handle. Accessories are unlimited. With a good quality set up, you can hit at 500m, or you can clear an apartment with authority. All around, general purpose, jack-of-all-trades (and admittedly master of none) rifle/ammo combination.

That being said, I'm buying a new rifle in both calibers as soon as I hit the sandbox again!
    Glad I asked this. Getting some interesting unexpected responses. Gents that I know coming back from the sand box generally say their preference is 7.62 as it has superior barrier penetration, longer effective range. I understand about ammo weight and that is in fact part of why I am asking. Except from the perspective of how many different kinds of ammo I am able to bug out with, same applies to ammo stashes. I have .308 bolt actions my thought was a same caliber AR maybe more practical.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Glad I asked this. Getting some interesting unexpected responses. Gents that I know coming back from the sand box generally say their preference is 7.62 as it has superior barrier penetration, longer effective range. I understand about ammo weight and that is in fact part of why I am asking. Except from the perspective of how many different kinds of ammo I am able to bug out with, same applies to ammo stashes. I have .308 bolt actions my thought was a same caliber AR maybe more practical.
    I would probably take a more serious look at the Rem 6.8 SPC, and 6.5 Grendel in the AR platform. That's just me.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    7.62 may be better for you, then. There is no doubt that the 7.62 is a better round once it gets to the target - the problem is everything involved in getting that round on target. My experience and though processes are shaped by years of being "light" infantry (now there's a misnomer, huh? My kit was never light!). I spent a LOT more time walking with my rifle and ammo than I did shooting it - if I was never operating more than 50m from a vehicle, my thoughts might change.

On the other hand, it seems pretty unlikely that a civilian, even in a SHTF scenario, is going to need extreme barrier penetration at 600m - those shots are just too rare even in combat. For short-term SHTF, I envision protecting you and yours from goblins who want to take what you were smart enough to stockpile, so, unless you have a REALLY big yard, the 5.56N should be able to handle all of your duties quite well, while not breaking your back as you lug it around all day. For long-term SHTF, you may have to do some hunting, scrounging, foraging, and so forth. Now, we are talking a VERY unlikely scenario to begin with, and adding in the even less likely scenario of barricaded bad guys at extended ranges (which brings up this question - why not just get out of there? At the ranges where 7.62 really starts to come into its own, it seems you'll have a very good chance of being able to escape and evade, unless the BG is armed with a .300 Magnum or something...) IMO, it just isn't worth hauling a heavier weapon, heavier ammo (and less of if, most likely), a heavier recoiling weapon (have a small framed spouse or younger children? Can they handle the 7.62 as well as the 5.56? You only have one, remember?) and so on for that small percentage of situations where the 7.62 is significantly better than the 5.56.

"223 vs 308" ? geez why not ask "cars versus women"?

I'd chose 223 for a bug out round, since ammo is so much lighter. Also, I'm in a region that is one big dense forest, there are no clear shots over 100 yards.

Off the cuff , 400-450 yard effective range for .223 against a 550-600yd of .308?

Seeing that you intend to do some hunting, I'd go with the .308 over the .223. It can be used on a wider variety of game and is an outstanding distance gun, call it precision shooting or sniper.

If only just one... 5.56 (.223)

I'm just glad I don't have just one!

I have at least one of each in .223; 7.62x39; .308; .30-06 (not a black rifle but goes bang like one)
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I have a .223 so that is what I said. I will own a 308 one day. I think it really depends what you are going to use it for that really determines what you own.
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links