.223 Vs .308

This is a discussion on .223 Vs .308 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I chose .223, I believe it is an excellent versatile round. You are looking at the round chambered in a lighter, easier to carry and ...

View Poll Results: If you one black gun what caliber would it be

Voters
304. You may not vote on this poll
  • 223 I am a civilian

133 43.75%
  • 308 I am a civilian

101 33.22%
  • 223 I have combat experience

34 11.18%
  • 308 I have combat experience

36 11.84%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: .223 Vs .308

I chose .223, I believe it is an excellent versatile round. You are looking at the round chambered in a lighter, easier to carry and handle all around gun that is very effective at short to medium ranges.
    Obama didn't get elected to warranty your muffler. He's here to warranty your life.

2. Remove Ads

I've been having cat problems in my barn lately (fighting with a skunk)and today I caught him out in the open at 183 yards away from my front door. I grabbed the Bushmaster Varminter loaded with Black hills 75 gr HP. 1 head shot 1 kill and he didn't even flop around. Did I say I hate cats and have so for many years. Every time I use that Bushmaster I'm more tickled that I purchased it several years ago. It's a fine shooter. I've got several battle rifles but I just plain enjoy shooting the Bushmaster more then the Garand, M1A or 03A3. The only other gun I'm having more fun with right now is our Shiloh Sharps 45/70 shooting 535 gr Lyman 457132 cast bullets.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

I voted for the 5.56 (223).

If I could only have ONE black rifle (which I believe was the OP question) I would opt for an AR w/ 16 to 18 inch 1x8 twist barrel, with a low powered scope (something in the 1.5x4 range) with a set of buis. If I could swing it money wise Id have it suppressed.

There is a whole list of .224 dia. bullets you can select from for an AR configured in this way. Each each one of those would give this rifle a little bit different capablity. As already pointed out, you could carry a lot more ammunition if that became necessary and in reality a 223 will take most of the game animals youd find in the United States provided you did your part in stalking and shot placement. In a SHTF situation what was legal to hunt with really wouldnt factor into the equation.

If Im allowed the black rifle and one other Id still go with the AR15 and use a 270 (or 30 06) bolt action as the other.

BUT WE AREN'T LIMITED TO JUST ONE......YAY
    One of the fundamental truths of the universe is that there isn't anything that cannot be improved with the addition of pirates, ninjas, strippers, midgets or monkeys.

"A car door is not cover. In fact a car is not cover. Cement is." - military contractor in Iraq 2004

Don't confuse 7.62 X 39 (AK) with 7.62 X 51 (NATO's .308)

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I voted for option #4. That being said (seems to be a favorite saying here lately), it will do well short or long range. In an auto-loader----look out. Un-compromised in my opinion. All one needs to do is justify the ammo costs. The .308 will go through more stuff and be a better first round hit for sure.
    You got that right! Used them both in Nam, and it's .308 for me.

older guy

At 61, with a bad neck and shoulder had to go to a .223 due to recoil issues. All my hunting rifles are 6.5x55 and am selling all my 12ga. and keeping the .20ga for the same reason. Put up my .45 pistols and using 9 mm and .22 as well. Rather shoot smaller than not at all.

.223 Vs .308

I voted .308.Like my SOCOM 16.

.223 vs .308

I have been reading every discussion I can regarding .223 and .308. I live in South Texas and am an avid whitetail hunter. I also consider myself a bit of a survivalist nut and I am searching for the one gun that I can use for hunting and as my all purpose bug out rifle. I have narrowed it down to one of two weapons:

1. Springfield Armory SOCOM 16 (.308) Black Synthetic fiberglass stock, 5 to 20 round mags, 37 1/4 inches long, 16.25 inch barrel, and 9.3 lbs (Price $1250 to $1950)

Springfield Armory

2. Ruger NRA Mini-14 (.223) Black Hogue Overmolded Stock, 5 to 20 round mags, 35 3/4 inches long, 16.125 inch barrel, 6 3/4 lbs
    (Price $730 to $1035)

Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifles & Mini Thirty Rifles*Autoloading*Rifles

I am a firm believer in the reliability and accuracy of the .308, based on having taken down several deer and elk with an old .308 Savage Lever-action in my youth in Oregon. However, now in South Texas and taking in consideration, whitetail, cyotes, and an overall bug out survival rifle, I am leaning heavily towards the new NRA Mini-14 in 223. It is shorter, almost 3 pounds lighter, not counting ammunition, and I love the feel of the hogue overmold stock. I feel that it will adequately work as a whitetail deer rifle, and I'm sure I can find the right ammunition to take down bigger game if absolutely necessary. Those facts combined with the price of ammo, and the overall appeal of the gun as a ranch/bug out gun, I think I've come to that decision. So while my heart, and my ego may say get the .308, my mind and my wallet say get the .223.

For those who are big AR 15 fans, and say why not just go with the AR. It is just a matter of preference, that and the fact that some of the old fellas I hunt with can accept a mini-14 on the ranch, but would not exacty take kindly to an AR style rifle in the deer blind. Let me know what you all think and why, thanks.

I did 19 months in Viet Nam. I got to use and carry both rifles, the M-16 and an XM-21 sniper rifle, in the paratroopers. Both rifles will work for you depending on what tactics you use. BUT the 7.62 NATO sniper rifle lets you have, right from the start, more punch, greater range and a lot more accuracy. If I had to choose one rifle for general work it would automatically be the 7.62/.308 rifle. If, however, I was going to be moving around a lot and wanted to carry more ammo, I would use the .223 rifle. So, in all honesty, which rifle I would use would depend on my survival or military situation but, in general, my first choice would be the .308 rifle.
    Imagine that you're an enemy soldier and you are surrounded by U.S. Army paratroopers on one side and American marines on the other side... Talk about a hopeless situation... That has got to be legal grounds for suicide!

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne Sniper View Post
    If I had to choose one rifle for general work it would automatically be the 7.62/.308 rifle. If, however, I was going to be moving around a lot and wanted to carry more ammo, I would use the .223 rifle. So, in all honesty, which rifle I would use would depend on my survival or military situation but, in general, my first choice would be the .308 rifle.
    Interesting, in that combat vets are as equally divided as you can be 34 to 33. I would have guessed that those with the real experience and knowledge would have pretty much the same opinion. So I remain confused and undecided.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Thanks all for your opinions. I had my heart set on getting 2 ARs and 1 M1A variant, but have decided to stick with the 2 ARs for now. They'll double as our backup home defense guns (2 870s are the primaries), we'll be able to use them for the carbine classes we both want to take, and they'll still be quite useful for when the zombies attack, albeit at a shorter range. ("We" is my wife and me ;)

That said, I still desperately want my M1A, but I just can't afford it at this point. If there is no AWB next year I'll get it and the mags I want, but for now, the ARs in 5.56N / .223 will have to do...
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links