.223 Vs .308

.223 Vs .308

This is a discussion on .223 Vs .308 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Its time to get some new toys so I thought I would get some opinions. So please lets hear the reason for your decision. I ...

View Poll Results: If you one black gun what caliber would it be

Voters
304. You may not vote on this poll
  • 223 I am a civilian

133 43.75%
  • 308 I am a civilian

101 33.22%
  • 223 I have combat experience

34 11.18%
  • 308 I have combat experience

36 11.84%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: .223 Vs .308

.223 Vs .308

Its time to get some new toys so I thought I would get some opinions. So please lets hear the reason for your decision.
    I goofed Second answer should be 308, I can not correct a poll answer please answer it as if it said 308
    Last edited by LongRider; March 19th, 2008 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Correct second answer should say 308 NOT 208
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

If you identified the intended use, it would be easier to offer an opinion.

Lead Moderator
    I picked 5.56mm that way I can use .223 or 5.56mm ammo, same caliber as the Military and several LE agencies. Lighter weight, more ammo can be carried , more mags, accessories ect can be had. Easier to find parts too. The bullet works well enough IMO and I am not hampered with only using FMJ ammo.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Each calibre has it's own merits,without knowing what you would use it for primarily it's hard to say,If i'm romping around in grizzly bear country i'll take the .308

I voted for option #4. That being said (seems to be a favorite saying here lately), it will do well short or long range. In an auto-loader----look out. Un-compromised in my opinion. All one needs to do is justify the ammo costs. The .308 will go through more stuff and be a better first round hit for sure.

VIP Member
    If I had only one rifle, it would be a carbine length AR style platform in 5.56. With the right bullets/optics/set up, it can do just about anything you could ask a rifle to do reasonably well - and it's quick and easy to change that set up if the task changes. Ammo is light, (relatively) inexpensive, and easy to find. Mag capacity is high. Recoil is almost nil. Suppressors work quite well. Platforms are generally light, compact, and easy to handle. Accessories are unlimited. With a good quality set up, you can hit at 500m, or you can clear an apartment with authority. All around, general purpose, jack-of-all-trades (and admittedly master of none) rifle/ammo combination.

That being said, I'm buying a new rifle in both calibers as soon as I hit the sandbox again!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I voted .308, but that is assuming I could afford an adequate amount of ammo for practice and stockpiling. My reasoning is that I want it to do double duty as a deer rifle, and I like to very long range capability. If is was for ONLY defensive reasons, I'd probably go with the 5.56, as the ammo is cheaper and the round has plenty of punch, especially if you've got HPs.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    If I had only one rifle, it would be a carbine length AR style platform in 5.56. With the right bullets/optics/set up, it can do just about anything you could ask a rifle to do reasonably well - and it's quick and easy to change that set up if the task changes. Ammo is light, (relatively) inexpensive, and easy to find. Mag capacity is high. Recoil is almost nil. Suppressors work quite well. Platforms are generally light, compact, and easy to handle. Accessories are unlimited. With a good quality set up, you can hit at 500m, or you can clear an apartment with authority. All around, general purpose, jack-of-all-trades (and admittedly master of none) rifle/ammo combination.

That being said, I'm buying a new rifle in both calibers as soon as I hit the sandbox again!
    Agree with the above...... #3, for whatever it's worth.

I'd sure rather try to press the .308 into service as a substitute in the realm of the .223 than the other way around. Give me the .30 caliber every time.

Since your precise question is which caliber if you only have 1 black rifle, I choose 223 - by which of course I mean 5.56 NATO. I'd then choose a M1A with a wood stock...

That's not cheating, I swear! I can't help it if the OP phrased the question the way he did...
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

.308 all the way

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

I will be getting an AR soon but am seriously considering either the 6.5 Grendel or the 6.8 SPC.
    Who knows, maybe I'll get a 5.56/.223 also.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

I can't decide!!! I have three black rifles now. It is a matter of having the right tool for the job at hand. If I don't know what the job is, I'll just bring the whole tool box!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

6 and one half dozen imo.

UNLESS you're using for something bigger than thin skinned, or you want to make longer shots. Longer shots and bigger game = .308. If not - there's nothing wrong with .223 (I voted .308)
    Some people don't deserve saving.

....the water is almost at a boil

Senior Moderator
    I voted .308 mainly because I don't have to hump a lot of it very far.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links