unreliable 870

This is a discussion on unreliable 870 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey all, I know the Remington 870's reputation for reliability. However, I have one that I regularly shoot skeet with out at our farm that ...

Thread: unreliable 870

New Member Array catfish hunter's Avatar

unreliable 870

Hey all,

I know the Remington 870's reputation for reliability. However, I have one that I regularly shoot skeet with out at our farm that seems to jam constantly after firing a few rounds. It refuses to eject the spent shell, usually causing a delay in the fun while I struggle to get it out. The gun is on its second professionally installed extractor pin. My father, a much better shot than me even in his old age , has the same problem when he shoots the gun, so I do not believe i am "short-shucking" it, or whatever term you may use for that. I am losing confidence in this gun. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Ads

Suggestions...hmm ill give you $100.00 for it!! JK unless you want to?
    Is it opening up and not ejecting or just staying locked where you have to hit the slide unlock to eject the shell?
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

heck, I'll go $115 for it.

Seriously though, I haven't seen this happen before. You may need to send it to Remington and let them take a care of it.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

What size shells are you shooting in it 2 3/4 or 3 inch,.Also there is an ejector in the receiver that strikes the far side of the case to kick it out,if it's worn or missing you won't be getting the hit you need to flip the case out.Try running some shells through the action and see if when they clear the barrel if they eject ok,if the extractor is pulling them back but they aren't flipping sideways you probably got ejector problems

Administrator
    Express or Wingmaster? What type of shells?
    "Just blame Sixto"

did you buy the shells at wal mart ?

3 things to check: extractor & spring, the ejector (riveted to the inner wall of the receiver), and the shell latches. When you say "extractor pin" I'm not sure, but I think you're referring to the ejector. If you have bent/damaged shell latches, it/they could be dragging the following shell, causing it to push the case being extracted out of position. A weak extractor spring or damaged extractor won't get enough grip on the fired shell to pull it clear.

hey all, thanks for the replies. Ill try to answer ya'lls questions.

First, this is using 2 3/4 shells, and yes, some of them were from wal-mart. The gun is staying locked where you have to hit the slide unlock to eject the shell. Its an express, not a wingmaster.

I will try some of these suggestions this weekend, see if I can figure it out. I just cant understand why my buddy's cheap Maverick can stay out there all day shooting the same shells as me, and my 870 is constantly locking up.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by catfish hunter View Post
    hey all, thanks for the replies. Ill try to answer ya'lls questions.

First, this is using 2 3/4 shells, and yes, some of them were from wal-mart. The gun is staying locked where you have to hit the slide unlock to eject the shell. Its an express, not a wingmaster.

I will try some of these suggestions this weekend, see if I can figure it out. I just cant understand why my buddy's cheap Maverick can stay out there all day shooting the same shells as me, and my 870 is constantly locking up.
    When was the last time it was completly taken down and cleaned? I've had a few pumps Mossberg and 870s start getting gummed up around the action bars creating problems much like you described.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    When was the last time it was completly taken down and cleaned? I've had a few pumps Mossberg and 870s start getting gummed up around the action bars creating problems much like you described.
    well, its probably only had a couple hundred rounds through it in its life. i have never completely taken it down, but have cleaned it fairly regularly. but in all honesty, i figured the gun was still too new to need that type of cleaning, thought pumps didnt need to be tore down that frequently. am i misinformed?

Administrator
    No you're right, typically they dont need to. This is why I asked if it was an express or wingmaster. The express line does not have its action stoned or smoothed out much at all. Sometimes burrs will work their way into odd places, or there is a defect somewhere not caught at the factory.
    I'd tear it down and go over everything, grease it lightly, and try it again.
    "Just blame Sixto"

tore it down, cleaned and greased it a little bit this weekend. feels a little smoother, but havent got a chance to shoot it yet. ill let you all know. thanks.

Yeah,
    The big difference bewteen the wingmaster (and police) model and the express is that the wingmaster has every piece inspected before it is installed. (also, there are a few parts that are higher quality, but they are technically interchangable. The inspection is the biggie, IMHO)

You save money getting the less-labor express, but every now and then a bum-part gets through...

Personally I bought an express and have loved it... But I knew what I was paying for and was (mentally) ready for any issues when I first took it out.

Hopefully you just had something sticking that the new lube will free-up.

Links