Yet again - another help me decide thread

This is a discussion on Yet again - another help me decide thread within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I posted a couple of days ago seeking help to decide on a new rifle. I have been convinced that my current needs/desires is directing ...

Thread: Yet again - another help me decide thread

Yet again - another help me decide thread

I posted a couple of days ago seeking help to decide on a new rifle. I have been convinced that my current needs/desires is directing me to a good bolt action rifle. Accuracy is going to be key. Total package (including scope) should come in less than $1300 (preferably less than $1000).

All medium calibers (.22's and .50's are not in the mix) will be considered.

Let the suggestions begin! Don't hold back! I will research each and every suggestion, and eventually will post back the results!
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

Are you looking for a "hump it through the woods gun" (lightweight) or something that will be carried infrequently and shot mainly from position or solid rest?

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

The primary purpose will be target shooting at a range, but the occasional hump through the woods is a possibility (although remote).
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

You could hardly go wrong with a good bolt action .308 for general purposes. I like most any non-magnum rifle round from .243 to .358. In my view cartridges of less than .30 caliber and which wear the magnum moniker are about useless.

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    The primary purpose will be target shooting at a range, but the occasional hump through the woods is a possibility (although remote).
    Regardless of purpose, I think the current Savage rifles are hard to beat for out of the box accuracy. Though I don't own one, my best shooting buddy has several and they are very nice. While the AccuTrigger is not as good as some of the better after-market triggers, it is much better than most factory triggers.

If you are going to be carrying this any distance, I'd stay away from the heavy barrel contours. You might want to look at something like the Model 16FCSS in Savage's Weather Warrior series.

If I were looking at a strictly bench fired target rifle, I'd be more prone to go with the Model 12F/TR from their Precision Target Rifle Series. This model also has the target version of the AccuTrigger but this is a single shot rifle.

My personal favorite rifles are still the Model 700 Remingtons. For a general purpose 700, I'd look at the Model 700 VTR.

For more of a benchrest rifle, I'd look at either the Model 700 SPS Varmint or the Model 700 VSF.

The Remington 700 has the advantage of having tons of aftermarket parts so that you can customize the rifle to your liking.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Entry Level Howa Tactical Package

I just bought the same rifle and it should be home anyday
    SAPPERS BREACH BUTT NAKED

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting hunting is not supporting the 2nd Amendment !

I love my Remington 700 BDL in .308 Win. the action is very smooth and it is very light.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    I agree with the Remington 700 series. I own 3 of them, the one pictured below is chambered in 243, I replaced it with a Sako 6mm PPC for benchrest shooting. BTW, It is for sale, including the weaver 3X9 scope.
    Attached Images
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Links