Defensive Carry banner

Ruger Mini 14

7K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  Rob72 
#1 ·
as a defensive rifle? I was originally thinking of an AR 15, but I'd like to be able to bring my gun on the boat for long weekends. The rust factor concerns me with the AR 15s.

The stainless Ruger mini 14 looks like a good home and boat rifle. Here are some pics from the ATI web site with folding stock;

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like a good choice to me!

#4 ·
Hm. For a new stainless-steel ("all-weather") Mini-14 you're looking at $800 and up. Factor in the cost of mags (steel 20-rounders are $50 from J&G Gun Sales), and recognizing that you'd end up with a gun that won't win any accuracy contests and is rarely as, much less often more, accurate than an AR, and I have to wonder why one would look into a Mini-14 as a defensive rifle. It's not a fighting rifle.

If it were a lower price than I'd say go for it; you're already running into AR-territory, and will get into nicer AR territory if you plan on getting any number of magazines for it.

Just keep in mind that stainless steel is not stainfree steel. My Leatherman Wave taught me that lesson very quickly on a diving weekend.

I strongly suggest getting a Mossberg 500 Mariner, for a couple big reasons. First, it's purpose built. It'll handle salt water fine, if you wash it. Second, it's cheap: $385 at Able Ammo. I think that's better suited to your needs than a rifle would be, and if you needed longer shots you can easily get a longer barrel for slugs Maricoted as well. The only reason I'm suggesting the Mossberg over the Remington is price; Mossberg is simply a better "budget" gun.

If you want a rifle, specifically, than get a rifle. For the price you're already looking at, I suggest an ADS M4 from G&R Tactical. Grant's a good guy and can customize orders if you want. But if you just want to be armed with something better than a handgun, and don't want to break the bank doing it, I suggest the Mossy.

#29 ·
That is correct. The Mini-14's LOUSY accuracy is well documented.:mad:

Other than that, I like the gun too:smile:........but what is the purpose of the gun......to look at or to hit the intended target with the fired projectile?:rolleyes:
I guess if yo could spray and pray like Mister T, you would eventually hit the target!:rofl:

I agree that the 870 Marine Magnum (in any configuration) is a fine weapon for you boating pleasure! I own one and I don't even have a boat!

#7 ·
I have an older stainless Mini-14 & the only reason I still have it is that it is a rare original with factory folding stock (pre-ban). The reason i don't shoot it is it's accuracy sucks! My ARs are a lot more accurate & reliable.

#8 ·
A number of years ago, I bought a new stainless /synthetic stocked Mini 14. I really liked the look and feel. Unfortunately, I could throw rocks more accurately. ( 10-12" groups at 25 yards --- pitiful !)

Sent it back to Ruger. They sent it back with little improvement. At 25 yards , I was still more accurate with a handgun. I was beginning to think that I had developed a flinch or something. Traded the Mini for a Bushmaster --- Guess what , I could now shoot those 10" groups at 150 yards (standing -off hand-open sights).

I still like the looks and feel of the Mini, but I own one of those "ugly" Bushmasters..... Pretty is as pretty does.... mike

#9 ·
I would suggest the AR, too. For $30 you can buy a DIY bake-on teflon finish that goes on nicely over park.

If you happen to decide on the Mini, avoid the "cool" ATI stock; it won't help an already accuracy-challenged weapon. Choate is much more solid, and easily bedded.

#10 ·
Seems to be an idea floating (pardon the pun) around here that standard finish AR rifles are excessively proned to rust. Are we talking about fresh or salt-water boating weekends here?

I agree that the Stainless Mini 14 is likely less sensitive than the AR to neglect (they're found lashed to the seat of a LOT of Alaskan outback snowmobiles). But a well-maintained M4 isn't a fragile weapon either. If rust was at all an issue...somebody in the Black Rifle World would be marketing a model expressive configured to address the problem (there's only several zillion varities already available!).

Nope, I don't think you're gaining a single advantage (except maybe a few bucks of original purchase price) by going with the Mini. I've owned several models of both rifles...and I sold my last Mini last year.

#11 ·
I second BAC's suggestion of the mossberg. I really think that it would serve your needs quite well. If it has to be a rifle, then it really depends on your purpose for it. If you want to just throw on the boat and forget about it, then maybe the ruger would be better, but if you want it for a defensive weapon and range gun, then i think that an AR would be a lot better.

#12 ·
Rust?

I'm confused, AR's are forged or billet aluminum (some heavy target lowers in stainless and other materials), aluminum does not rust. it may corrode, but you would have to SEVERELY neglect the weapon for that to ever happen.

Just get a hard chrome lined bore and chamber for the barrel and a hard chromed bolt carrier assembly if you are paranoid about it.

#13 ·
Parked weapons happily rust in salt water environs (barrel, BC, trigger group, front sight assembly).

Most folks aren't removing the handguards on a regular basis, and in a humid environment, that's were most of your corrosion will occur. An epoxy over park coat is the current standard.

#15 ·
no-one said you couldn't get a stainless barrel on an AR, an aluminum gas block, an all aluminum 2 stage match trigger, and an aluminum front sight of your choice.

Heck you could replace the pins with KNS stainless pins.

You have 5,000 more options with the AR platform than a mini 14 if you really want to get crazy with rust/corrosion resistance hehe.

Look into Ion Bond, a super hard coating thats even superior to hard chroming. A couple of dealers on ar15.com offer if on entire carrier assemblies and barrels, or any part you can imagine really.

If you take decent care of your gun and dont leave it in a musty basement for 50 years without any protective oil coating, then i don't even think its anything to worry about.

#14 ·
+1 on the AR; Buy one and have it Hard Chromed. Hard Chroming is almost impervious to corrosion.

#16 ·
Thank you all for the great advice thus far:hand10:

I do my boating in saltwater with excursions into the Bahamas for long weekends. Anyone that knows the saltwater environment also know how harsh it can be on most things.

I do own a Remington 870 marine magnum that is the primary boat gun. I also would like to own a .223 rifle. I try and factor in the boating environment when I look at equipment because I spend a lot of time on boats and hate to have something that will start to rust if I'm not all over it (read high maintenance).

So far it sounds like the mini 14 is a mechanically reliable gun (from the lack of negative operational performance issues), but lacks accuracy and the mags are expensive.

I'm also reading that the AR is the way to go in terms of accuracy and options, including special coatings to resist rusting/corrosion.

I was hoping to keep it simple with a no nonsense, low maintenance rifle in a popular round, but it sounds like you guys are going to suck me into the "dark side" with the AR rifle and the 5,000 different configurations :boese51:

So, I have to ask (because I don't know any better);

If you were building an AR rifle from scratch, knowing that the unit would spend time in a harsh environment in terms of humidity, salinity and sand, what would you build price equivalent to a stainless steel mini 14?

#17 ·
If you were building an AR rifle from scratch, knowing that the unit would spend time in a harsh environment in terms of humidity, salinity and sand, what would you build price equivalent to a stainless steel mini 14?
Actually,

for what you are looking for, I would go with a Cavalry Arm polymer lower to start off with. It's super lightweight, very durable, and being polymer would be totally impervious to any salt corrosion or rust issues.

Cavalry Arms

I have one myself and it is an excellent piece!

Then I would go with your upper receiver of choice, CMMG, RRA, Mega, CMT, LMT, etc etc. They are all pretty much the same, I would go with an A1 carry handle upper for the simplicity of the sighting system, rarely need windage adjustment on the fly using irons.

For the bolt carrier assembly, I would either go with a Young Mfg hard chrome assembly or an Ion Bond BCM assembly.

Here is the Ion Bond version: BRAVO COMPANY ION BONDED M16 BOLT CARRIER GROUPS OUT OF STOCK - BCMM16IONBOND

For the barrel, I'd go with a WOA stainless barrel, some of the better stainless barrels you can get, and they are priced fairly:

White Oak Armament POB 74 Carlock, IL 61725 (309) 376-2288

I prefer midlength gas system in 16" and a medium or light contour, throw in an aluminum gas block and a sabre defence stainless gas tube.

I think it would end up costing a tad more than a mini 14 but it would be a super versatile, more accurate than most shooters, and about as rust/corrosion resistant as possible!

:banana:

#23 ·
Well...yes!

Have you ever seen one firsthand? Owned one?

I would challenge you to find a negative post about the cavarms polymer lower. Cavalry arms is a stand up and QUALITY company, top tier customer support, and they support shootings sports constantly.

Not to mention the lifetime warranty, but hey, what do I know, I've just had experience with them :dunno:

Socuban, I would recommend you take neither or our words, and go research the cavarms polymer lower on ar15.com to come to your own conclusion!

#22 ·
I'm curious, now: why they would be a bad idea for this build? And I ask this honestly, because the Cavalry Arms products, including the polymer lower, that I've handled in the past have all be good stuff. Certainly not the best, good enough that I'd use for a boat gun and, if built right, trust.

-B

#24 ·
Okay...I'm caught. I have never owned an AR featuring a Calvary Arms poly lower. But I shoot with a bunch (two or three dozen) of pretty serious AR builders. I've built some (uh...five) myself. One of our gang made a well-intended, vallant effort to (ignore the rest of us and) base his first AR on a CA poly lower. The results were less than satisfactory. He eventually went with a more conventional alloy lower (there are several perfectly good ones) and found the performance of the otherwise identical components much more to his liking.

If your experience with CA has been excellent, I'm pleased for you. My admittedly limited exposure leads me away from selecting them as a starting point. I would simply prefer a factory built Mini.

#25 ·
I see, the cavarms polymer isn't meant as a replacement for a traditional forged lower, but an alternative. You wouldn't choose it to build an accurized 1/2 MOA range gun, or an SPR build, etc. etc.

But for an all purpose, reach out to 400 yards with irons, lightweight build, truck gun/boat gun/etc., it would be a great choice.

#26 ·
Just a quick note...that ATI stock that you showed the picture of is STILL not available, even though they premiered it at SHOT Show 2007 (yes...over a year ago). Ddon't ask me why, but ATI has been advertising three stocks for over a year now that you can't even buy because they don't make 'em. As a former employee, I can only suggest you look elsewhere if you want one of those stocks for your Mini sometime this decade, because you won't be able to count on seeing them any time soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.