Ruger Mini 14

This is a discussion on Ruger Mini 14 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; as a defensive rifle? I was originally thinking of an AR 15, but I'd like to be able to bring my gun on the boat ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Mini 14

Ruger Mini 14

as a defensive rifle? I was originally thinking of an AR 15, but I'd like to be able to bring my gun on the boat for long weekends. The rust factor concerns me with the AR 15s.

The stainless Ruger mini 14 looks like a good home and boat rifle. Here are some pics from the ATI web site with folding stock;

2. Remove Ads

Looks like a good choice to me!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Good luck on finding factory mags for a reasonable price.

Last time I bought mags I paid $55 each.

You are better off spending more for the AR-15 and having cheaper mags available.

BAC
    Hm. For a new stainless-steel ("all-weather") Mini-14 you're looking at $800 and up. Factor in the cost of mags (steel 20-rounders are $50 from J&G Gun Sales), and recognizing that you'd end up with a gun that won't win any accuracy contests and is rarely as, much less often more, accurate than an AR, and I have to wonder why one would look into a Mini-14 as a defensive rifle. It's not a fighting rifle.

If it were a lower price than I'd say go for it; you're already running into AR-territory, and will get into nicer AR territory if you plan on getting any number of magazines for it.

Just keep in mind that stainless steel is not stainfree steel. My Leatherman Wave taught me that lesson very quickly on a diving weekend.

I strongly suggest getting a Mossberg 500 Mariner, for a couple big reasons. First, it's purpose built. It'll handle salt water fine, if you wash it. Second, it's cheap: $385 at Able Ammo. I think that's better suited to your needs than a rifle would be, and if you needed longer shots you can easily get a longer barrel for slugs Maricoted as well. The only reason I'm suggesting the Mossberg over the Remington is price; Mossberg is simply a better "budget" gun.

If you want a rifle, specifically, than get a rifle. For the price you're already looking at, I suggest an ADS M4 from G&R Tactical. Grant's a good guy and can customize orders if you want. But if you just want to be armed with something better than a handgun, and don't want to break the bank doing it, I suggest the Mossy.

Administrator
    Buy an AR, get it refinished in something a little tougher if thats your concern.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I like the looks and feel of the Mini-14. I used to own one prior to getting my 1st AR-15.

The mini had some accuracy issues that weren't an issue in the AR.

VIP Member
    I have an older stainless Mini-14 & the only reason I still have it is that it is a rare original with factory folding stock (pre-ban). The reason i don't shoot it is it's accuracy sucks! My ARs are a lot more accurate & reliable.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

A number of years ago, I bought a new stainless /synthetic stocked Mini 14. I really liked the look and feel. Unfortunately, I could throw rocks more accurately. ( 10-12" groups at 25 yards --- pitiful !)

Sent it back to Ruger. They sent it back with little improvement. At 25 yards , I was still more accurate with a handgun. I was beginning to think that I had developed a flinch or something. Traded the Mini for a Bushmaster --- Guess what , I could now shoot those 10" groups at 150 yards (standing -off hand-open sights).

I still like the looks and feel of the Mini, but I own one of those "ugly" Bushmasters..... Pretty is as pretty does.... mike

I would suggest the AR, too. For $30 you can buy a DIY bake-on teflon finish that goes on nicely over park.

If you happen to decide on the Mini, avoid the "cool" ATI stock; it won't help an already accuracy-challenged weapon. Choate is much more solid, and easily bedded.

Seems to be an idea floating (pardon the pun) around here that standard finish AR rifles are excessively proned to rust. Are we talking about fresh or salt-water boating weekends here?

I agree that the Stainless Mini 14 is likely less sensitive than the AR to neglect (they're found lashed to the seat of a LOT of Alaskan outback snowmobiles). But a well-maintained M4 isn't a fragile weapon either. If rust was at all an issue...somebody in the Black Rifle World would be marketing a model expressive configured to address the problem (there's only several zillion varities already available!).

Nope, I don't think you're gaining a single advantage (except maybe a few bucks of original purchase price) by going with the Mini. I've owned several models of both rifles...and I sold my last Mini last year.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I second BAC's suggestion of the mossberg. I really think that it would serve your needs quite well. If it has to be a rifle, then it really depends on your purpose for it. If you want to just throw on the boat and forget about it, then maybe the ruger would be better, but if you want it for a defensive weapon and range gun, then i think that an AR would be a lot better.

Rust?

I'm confused, AR's are forged or billet aluminum (some heavy target lowers in stainless and other materials), aluminum does not rust. it may corrode, but you would have to SEVERELY neglect the weapon for that to ever happen.

Just get a hard chrome lined bore and chamber for the barrel and a hard chromed bolt carrier assembly if you are paranoid about it.
    Obama didn't get elected to warranty your muffler. He's here to warranty your life.

Parked weapons happily rust in salt water environs (barrel, BC, trigger group, front sight assembly).

Most folks aren't removing the handguards on a regular basis, and in a humid environment, that's were most of your corrosion will occur. An epoxy over park coat is the current standard.

+1 on the AR; Buy one and have it Hard Chromed. Hard Chroming is almost impervious to corrosion.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Parked weapons happily rust in salt water environs (barrel, BC, trigger group, front sight assembly).

Most folks aren't removing the handguards on a regular basis, and in a humid environment, that's were most of your corrosion will occur. An epoxy over park coat is the current standard.
    no-one said you couldn't get a stainless barrel on an AR, an aluminum gas block, an all aluminum 2 stage match trigger, and an aluminum front sight of your choice.

Heck you could replace the pins with KNS stainless pins.

You have 5,000 more options with the AR platform than a mini 14 if you really want to get crazy with rust/corrosion resistance hehe.

Look into Ion Bond, a super hard coating thats even superior to hard chroming. A couple of dealers on ar15.com offer if on entire carrier assemblies and barrels, or any part you can imagine really.

If you take decent care of your gun and dont leave it in a musty basement for 50 years without any protective oil coating, then i don't even think its anything to worry about.
    Obama didn't get elected to warranty your muffler. He's here to warranty your life.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links