Question about Shotgun Chambers and More

This is a discussion on Question about Shotgun Chambers and More within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In a thread I posted in previous, I am getting into the world of shotguns. I want a basic setup to get involved in some ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Shotgun Chambers and More

In a thread I posted in previous, I am getting into the world of shotguns. I want a basic setup to get involved in some of the clay games. As this is my first shotgun I don't know were to help becasue after some reading and researching I have have a couple question:

1. Can a shotgun chambered for 3" shoot 2 3/4" shells ? And the other way around?
    2. Do the chokes just screw into the muzzle? (I am looking for a full and mod choke)
    3. What does vent-rib barrels do?

Also, I don’t want to spend more then 500 dollars, so I decided on a Remington 870 express. While browsing the internet I ran across the brand Charles Daly (wal-mart) and was wondering if it is junk? The Charles Daly semi’s can be had for around 400, but I am thinking you pay for what you get and I should stick with a name brand. Any other insight would be helpful. Thanks.

EDIT: maybe I should also be asking Is there any big diffrence between 3" and 2 3/4" shells? Mainly going to be a range gun, and shooting clays at the parents farm. I know the rage I go to I can use #71/2 and lower.
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

Lead Moderator
    3" can take 2 3/4 but not the other way around.
    Muzzles that are threaded for chokes do just screw in.
    vent ribs help align the barrel /sights to the target.

Charles Daly guns are typically made by some company , then branded w/ the name. you do get what you pay for .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

1) Yes and no. A 3" will shoot 2+3/4. A 2+3/4" will not shoot 3".
    2) Some screw in, some are integral with the barrel. If the muzzle end has a few slots, it likely unscrews.
    3) Vent rib gives you a wider sighting plane and easier sight pickup against flying birds. It also disperses heat better from the top of the barrel, and the heat distortion wigglies will not be nearly as troublesome.

I have a Daly/Miroku (aka: Citori) O/U, 30"vent rib, IM/Full, love it, great trap gun. 30" is a little big for hunting though

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    MadDog, You can shoot 2 3/4" shells in a gun chambered for 3" shell, but you can't shoot 3" shells in one chambered for 2 3/4". And yes, the choke tubes just screw into the muzzle end of the barrel. Most shotguns with interchangeable choke tubes come with a wrench especially for this. As far as the vent rib, I think it is mostly for a flat sight line and it may help dissapate heat. The local gun shop has Benilli Nova pumps for 485.00 and if i remember correctly they come with 4 choke tubes.
    Greg

It's not what you go thru in life, but how well you go thru it.

I love this wbsite site, thanks for the quick replys, I just wanted to make sure I was reading all this infromation right. How much does the recoil differ between a pump and an auto?

Lead Moderator
    typically an auto will absorb more recoil due to operation and weight. Pump guns are not that bad once you get used to them. I have hunted with a 12 ga. pump since I was 14 yrs. old.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I think you guys are wrong on the chamber part of the shotgun. It is the RECIEVER that determines what shells it will handle, not the chamber.

You can install a 3" chamber barrel on a shotgun designed only for 2 3/4" shells, but the reciever itself may not be designed for 3". It tells you on the new barrel what it is chambered for, but the instructions will tell you not to install a 3" chamber on a shotgun with a reciever designed for 2 3/4" only.

So, if you want to use 3" shells, you need to check that the shotgun you are buying has a reciever that will handle 3" shells.

maybe I should also be asking Is there any big diffrence between 3" and 2 3/4" shells? Mainly going to be a range gun, and shooting clays at the parents farm. I know the rage I go to I can use #71/2 and lower.

I think you guys are wrong on the chamber part of the shotgun. It is the RECIEVER that determines what shells it will handle, not the chamber.
    3" shells need to fit in the chamber. A 3" shell wont fit in a 2+3/4" chamber. If the receiver is set for 2+3/4", it is unlikely a 3" shell will fit. If you jave a pump or autoloader, yes both receiver and barrel should be 3" if you want to shoot 3" shells.

But there ARE shotguns that dont need to worry about recevier clearances. Over unders, side by side, single shots, etc.

2+3/4" is fine for all of the shooting sports.

Lead Moderator
    3" shells are longer . They will be marked 3" . Do not use 3" shell unless the gun specifies it takes 3" shells. Just like any gun, use the proper ammo. 2 3/4 " are more common and easier to find. Usually 3" and 3 1/2" shells are hunting loads. Turkey, duck ect.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Thanks rocky, when i was looking at all the shotgun shells it seemed as if the 2 3/4" were mostly target loads, and the longer shells hunting loads. Just wasn't sure on it.

Lead Moderator
    Not a problem.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

You can eat just fine with 2+3/4". Especially after you practice with a few rounds of trap or clays!

You can shoot a 3" shell in a 2 3/4 " chamber,but they recoil really hard and you can blow you're gun up,I know because i was hunting with some guys and 1 guy was shooting an o/u 12 ga we were quailhunting and after about 6 shots he said man this gun kicks,I don't think i can take much more.So i said what ya shooting and he said 3" #6 so i said here try some of my 2 3/4"reloads there pretty light loads and when he walked over i looked at his gun and it said 2 3/4" chamber ,when i read that he bought crapped,it was a borrowed gun and he assumed it was chambered for 3".

Administrator
    I'd stay with the Remington.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links