870 I just picked up

870 I just picked up

This is a discussion on 870 I just picked up within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Picked this up last week, put a box through it for the first time yesterday. I really like it so far. Anyone got any tips?...

Thread: 870 I just picked up

870 I just picked up

Picked this up last week, put a box through it for the first time yesterday. I really like it so far. Anyone got any tips?

Nice! I am looking for a 870 right now (for trap) yours looks great for home defence.
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Very nice. I'm looking in to getting an 870 for home defense as well. What kind of stock is that?
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Can you get that stock (or one like it) that fold the other direction, hence lefty friendly?

Very nice.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    I much prefer the standard issue.

I have had a couple 870s in the past (like an idiot sold them). I'm going to pick up another one this year and can't decide between the tac models and the 7-shot express. Does anyone know if the finish is exactly the same between the two lines?

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Tips: Keep it clean and lubed, dont neglect it, use it as often as you can for practice, maybe add a tactical light with pressure switch, keep it away from children if they are around and dont sell it!

def won't sell it! i think i take good care of it, ( i cleaned it as soon as i got it home from the store). How often should I clean it? i want to shoot it as much as possible, i love shooting it.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I dunno about the cleaning schedule but, if you have nothing better to do there isnt many things more relaxing and enjoyable than cleaning a gun, (to me anyway). I tend to clean mine after every range trip. I dont think you could "over-clean" one, but you can certainly over-oil one. Dust can collect on the excess oil and gum things up. Go light on oil. Just a light coat when reassembling should do then wipe it down with a clean swab or cloth.

Wipe the outside down with a clean silicone gun cloth after you handle it and it should be fine. Store it in a dry clean environment when not in use unless it sits beside your bed like mine does.

If you have this mainly for home defense and have no children or adult idiots in your home I would suggest having it ready at all times. This means:
    - Make sure the magazine tube and chamber are both empty, then rack the pump grip to cock the weapon. Pull the trigger. Then load the magazine tube with a full compliment of self defense buck shot. Do not chamber a round!
    This allows you to rack the foregrip to chamber a round without having to engage the release button. That small release button might cost you time if you fumble or forget to push it to chamber a shell. Remember that you cannot rack the foregrip back if the trigger has not been pulled before hand!

I keep mine this way since I rather chamber a shell when needed than to have the safety on with a round chambered all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by mattd View Post
    I have had a couple 870s in the past (like an idiot sold them). I'm going to pick up another one this year and can't decide between the tac models and the 7-shot express. Does anyone know if the finish is exactly the same between the two lines?
    The finish is essentially the same, but the Police models have no plastic or powdered-metal parts, and undergo more quality inspections. That said, I have a mid-80's vintage 870 Express that has all good parts and has had thousands of rounds thru it with no problems. It's in the bedroom closet wearing a short, rifle-sighted barrel and is loaded with defensive rounds.

Sponsored Links