Verticle Foregrip Position

This is a discussion on Verticle Foregrip Position within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok I see on TV all the guys that are supposed to know what they are about and they have their grips way forward. To ...

Thread: Verticle Foregrip Position

Verticle Foregrip Position

Ok I see on TV all the guys that are supposed to know what they are about and they have their grips way forward. To me its not nearly as comfortable as having it almost on the magwell of my AR, which is where I fired my M16 in the Army for years. I do well, but could be better with long guns and wondered, is there a particular reason for the way forward grip those folks use?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    The forward grip helps with muzzle climb during full auto fire.

Semi it is not a problem
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Having the grip far to the rear is real comfy. Its quite similar and familiar if you are used to holding the mag well. I put mine quite a bit further forward because it is slightly less comfortable, but I have much more control and can drive the muzzle to the target much more precisely with the grip further out.

Austin

as far foreward as i can for control. if im stuck w/ a bibod and an acog its about mid rail otherwise 7/8 foreward.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcat35 View Post
    as far foreward as i can for control. if im stuck w/ a bibod and an acog its about mid rail otherwise 7/8 foreward.
    "Stuck with"... I'd love to be "stuck with" an acog...

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    ...but I have much more control and can drive the muzzle to the target much more precisely with the grip further out.

Austin
    This is the underlying idea behind it. On a subgun I imagine a closer grip is alright (never used one, so that's pure speculation), but on a rifle you want the muzzle to go exactly where you want it to go and nowhere else.

-B

VIP Member
    Bingo on muzzle control. Holding way back by the magwell is great for precision shooting from a static position, but it is much weaker when you are moving, turning, and otherwise in a "dynamic" situation.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

First of all, I love RCO's (ACOG's) and consider myself lucky to be "stuck" with one.

Secondly I put my broomstick pretty close to the magwell. I use it for all sorts of stuff, especially with Urban stuff.

I haven't noticed any major problems with control during either burst fire, or rapid semi-auto.

stick it where it is comfortable for you to shoot with, its your weapon, I'm used to holding the magwell to begin with, so it was more natural for me to keep it close.

Ours have a nifty feature of being a bipod and broomstick, and to get the most from the bipod it should be further out really. But guys around here have theirs all over the bottom rail. IMO its mostly person preference, but I can see where the guys talking about reduced control are coming from. Then again my A4 has some extra weight up front from other optics and devices.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Jeez, I remember the uproar when they were talking about getting rid of the triangular forestock!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member
    Yeah, I guess I should note that I'm 6'4" and have the corresponding wing span - farther out is more natural for my knuckle-dragging arm length!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Ok, so farther out seems to give everyone a little more control. I haven't tried it at the range yet, just while sitting around seeing what is comfortable. Just wondering. Thanks.

Links