AR15 or AK47?

This is a discussion on AR15 or AK47? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; First of all let me say , please forgive my ignorance, but beyond the fact that they look different, I don't know much about either ...

View Poll Results: Which would you rather have as a "everythings gone to heck" weapon.

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • AR-15

100 57.14%
  • AK-47

75 42.86%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AR15 or AK47?

AR15 or AK47?

First of all let me say , please forgive my ignorance, but beyond the fact that they look different, I don't know much about either the AR or the AK. I would like to get a good rifle that is high capacity, but I really don't know very much about them, so please , enlighten me.

2. Remove Ads

For me, an AK: Simple manual of arms, limited number of parts, plentiful ammo dependent on caliber, easy to work on, spare parts inexpensive and readily available, dependable, famous for durability under duress and abuse...but not the most accurate creature past 100 m. Fun and easy, plus less expensive than many AR's.

Here's my Norinco Mak-90 with mods, the stock is folded:

AK all the way.
    easy to fix, plentiful, will fire no matter what you do to it(almost). easy to get ammo, cheap, don't jam, i could go on.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

It's what I have, with lots of ammo and an EO Tech scope...if the SHTF, I CAN reach out to touch someone...don't know much about AK's...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well----Hhhhmmmm. I figure since I won't be picking out my cleaning supplies while bugging out, just ammo and mags-----the AK goes with me.

Mo
    I didn't vote because I think everyone should have both! The AR offers higher presision and a lighter load-out at the cost of penetration and higher maintenance. The AK offers less accuracy, but better reliability and greater terminal effectiveness and light barrier penetration.

Let me put it this way - if I had to leave tomorrow and head for the hills Red Dawn style, and didn't know when I would have access to proper cleaning supplies, I would want an AK-47, not an AR.

AK for me as well...even though I'm a lot more familiar with an AR. My next rifle will be an AK, unless of course Osama gets elected.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I own an AK. Particularly the Romanian WASR-10. While the AR's are great guns, in a situation like you asked about (civil unrest, disaster or invasion) I'd much rather have the AK for the simple fact that it would take an act of god to stop working. It would last me a long time and I could teach a monkey how to take it apart and clean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Cloud View Post
    AK for me as well...even though I'm a lot more familiar with an AR. My next rifle will be an AK, unless of course Osama gets elected.
    Quick get one soon

AK...simple, reliable, accurate enough to get the job done.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

The AR15...it will be more accurate, reach out longer, and it's easier to swap magazines...

Does anyone else find it incredibly annoying to change mags in an AK? I can do it, I just think it's ridiculous...

Quote Originally Posted by Lange View Post
    Does anyone else find it incredibly annoying to change mags in an AK? I can do it, I just think it's ridiculous...
    Never worked with M1A/M14's, FALs,or HKs have we? Same basic mag change. The AR is a little faster mag change but is a finicky action in adverse conditions,when not cleaned. The M4/CAR 15 action is a little worse than the fullsize AR15/M16 ACTION.
    Glock 19/FEG/FM HiPowers/Keltec P32 for me. When I can't use my 870,N98 or Marlin .30-30 of course...

Nope, the M14 was long before my time and FAL and HK are expensive.

I've never had an issue with my M16 or AR or M4...keep them clean and you'll be fine. Heck, even if they aren't clean (sand storm or dumped in the swamps of Camp LeJeune) they will still work.

Mo
    Quote Originally Posted by Lange View Post

If you're not retaining mags, it's really easy if you just use your new mag to push forward on the release with a goodly amount of force. The old mag drops free and you pop the new one in, charge it and you're good to go.

Administrator
    I like the best of both worlds.
    My choice would always be the Galil SAR that is over-built by I.M.I. from the ground up on the AK47 design with true "match grade" accuracy and totally rugged functional reliability.
    The Israeli magazines are super high quality and the internals are for all intent and purpose indestructible.
    The Galil laughs at muck, dirt, and sand.

The disadvantages of the Galil would be that due to the milled receiver (as it was originally designed as a full-auto Squad Weapon) it's quite a heavy AK - and.....lastly - the price.
    My first import Magnum Research Galils are fetching big buckos these days though I originally paid $990.00 each for them (way back when.) They are selling for 3 Grand (and sometimes upward of that) now in great condition.

Though recent American built Galils are far less costly.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm an AR guy. Reliability shouldn't be an issue because I know how to clean a gun.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links