my new sks

This is a discussion on my new sks within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; here is a pic of my new yugo sks 59/66 all cleaned up and ready to shoot....

Thread: my new sks

my new sks

here is a pic of my new yugo sks 59/66 all cleaned up and ready to shoot.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Nice SKS, I guess. It's pretty hard to tell.

If you switch to jpeg format, you can get a lot better resolution and still keep the size of the picture low. JMO.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Senior Moderator
    How is the bore on your Yugo?

I've seen some that or nice and shiny, some brown but with sharp rifling and some that look like a smoothboore musket.

Overall I think the SKS is one great SHTF rifle
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I love my Yugo. It goes to the range every single time I do, even when other 'more exciting' stuff got to stay at home. It has never jammed, broken, or even complained when I abuse it. I consider that rifle to be the best $150 I ever spent. For a semi-auto rifle, its not bad. For the cost - its unbeatable (as far as I know). I will have that rifle for a VERY long time and I've considered buying more.

I've since installed a scope and a bipod. The scope is essentially worthless beyond 25 meters (an SKS will not keep a zero - just a warning) but I teach a lot of new shooters and they love using it to kill Coke cans.

The day I brought mine home:
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post

I've since installed a scope and a bipod. The scope is essentially worthless beyond 25 meters (an SKS will not keep a zero - just a warning)
    Why won't an SKS stay zeroed? Is it just particular brands? Not trying to argue, just an honest question. I have a Chinese SKS with a 4 power scope and my son hunts with it. Seems to stay true. I don't know alot about an SKS tho!!!
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

SKS's can keep a zero, with a correct mount, unfortunately, options are limited.

People use replacement receiver covers and gas tube handguards with rails on them, but they aren't exactly stable.

The only two ways that I am aware of getting a stable platform is if you tap and drill into the receiver to mount hardware, or to buy a rear sight adapter.

Go here to find more information and photos.
    Scout Scopes offers quality scope mounts for your AK and SKS rifles

ellerblr:

Yeah I forgot about those mounts. I stand corrected. I have one of those replacement receivers - I went with that because I wanted to be able to use my iron sights and couldn't find a system to fit those needs.

Gunnutty: Well if he's had luck with it then bully to 'im! haha I was told that numerous times by some members here when I got mine. From what I understand, the reciever mounts dont stay zero'd because of the abuse the carrier puts on the housing when you fire. There is a small rubber buffer you can by that lowers the recoil but I can't comment on that because I don't have it.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Supposedly, the rear sight adapter can be used as an emergency rear sight if you take off the scope and rail, but I don't actually have one in person, so I can't comment about that aspect of it.

I am curious if it can accurately be used as a backup rear sight, and if it's adjustable in any way.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I appreciate the info guys. The sks my son uses came with the scope mounted. I guess it would be the replacement receiver cover mount that was mentioned. I got the gun already set up for 75.00 dollars. I've been doing some research and evidently I can expect my scope to walk around a little if we shoot several rounds thru the gun. SixBravo my apologies, I haven't shot the gun enough to know. We sighted it in and my son killed a deer. 20 rounds total.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnutty View Post
    Why won't an SKS stay zeroed? Is it just particular brands? Not trying to argue, just an honest question. I have a Chinese SKS with a 4 power scope and my son hunts with it. Seems to stay true. I don't know alot about an SKS tho!!!
    I have had my Russian made SKS for 40 years, and it stays zeroed. Is it possible the the country of manufacture could have something to do with it?

Congrats on the Yugo! I'd work on the pic size, though - I couldnt see anything, hardly.

I've had a 59/66 for a couple of years now, but I've SERIOUSLY bubba'd mine up. Dark Earth Tapco furniture all the way around, and a vest full of Tapco 20 rounders.

These rifles are a joy to shoot.

Ooooo another SKS thread! I'll play!

How about a Russian?

Okay, awesome picture. Now I'm painfully jealous. Happy now?! hahaha
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review

Why yes... yes I am...

Links