Chicago Arms Shotgun?

This is a discussion on Chicago Arms Shotgun? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ran across a 12 gauge pump action shotgun made by a company called Chicago Arms Co and was wondering if anyone knew anything about them. ...

Thread: Chicago Arms Shotgun?

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar

Chicago Arms Shotgun?

Ran across a 12 gauge pump action shotgun made by a company called Chicago Arms Co and was wondering if anyone knew anything about them. Such as what are they worth ect.

It was 12 gauge 18 inch barrel and had what looked like an extended magazine tube.

The whole gun looked like it was made out of steel, and it was very heavy but balanced nicely. Also it had an external hammer setup that the pump opperated instead of an internal system.

Google has failed me greatly on this so I turn to better sources.

For what it is worth the shotgun looks very old, but still very functional.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

2. Remove Ads

Chicago Arms Co was a trade name used by Fred Biffer and Sears Roebuck & Co of Chicago IL

A boxlock hammerless was mfg'd by Andrew Pruber Mfg, 1903-1905 and sidelock hammer guns were imported from Belgium 1885-1914
    Source: chicago arms 12ga HEEELLLPPP!!! - THR

Re. Chicago Arms Co. Shotgun

Hello all!
    I realize this is a rather old post, but I also have one of these mystery guns. Chicago Arms Co. 12 GA. Model A. serial # A5481 those are all the markings on the gun, but it is a 12 ga. pump with external hammer.
    I was given mine by my grandfather, it had been in a closet in his house for at least 50 years at that time. He couldn't even remember exactly where it had come from, but thought it had been left to him by another relative. I took it home, cleaned & oiled it, & shot it a couple days later. It shot great! Functions smoothly, aims straight! I shot bird shot mostly & a few slugs I had laying around.
    But was never able to find any info about it. One day I let a friend of mine take it over to show a friend of his who claimed to be an expert on old shotguns. He returned without my gun & told me his friend said that it is not safe to shoot with modern ammo, & probably not safe period. But, he would be willing to trade me a brand new 12 ga. pump for it. I had shot it quite a bit by this time with no trouble, & was not about to trade off the shotgun my grandpa gave me! & his eagerness to trade me a new gun for it seemed a little odd. Needless to say I kept my old shotgun!
    So, how many people out there have these Chicago Arms shotguns? It seems to be a rare piece, & I understand that rare doesn't always translate to valuable. But I'm the type of guy that likes odd makes, I collect AMC Ambassadors. So, what more can you people tell me about this gun? I will try to get some pictures taken & loaded soon!
    Thanks! ...Steve...

I have no info for you, but would enjoy seeing some pics of it. I too like oddball brands/manufacturers.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Probably banned in the very city it was build in.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

All the pictures I took turned out blurry, I'll try again!

VIP Member
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.amb View Post
    Hello all!
    I realize this is a rather old post, but I also have one of these mystery guns. Chicago Arms Co. 12 GA. Model A. serial # A5481 those are all the markings on the gun, but it is a 12 ga. pump with external hammer.
    I was given mine by my grandfather, it had been in a closet in his house for at least 50 years at that time. He couldn't even remember exactly where it had come from, but thought it had been left to him by another relative. I took it home, cleaned & oiled it, & shot it a couple days later. It shot great! Functions smoothly, aims straight! I shot bird shot mostly & a few slugs I had laying around.
    But was never able to find any info about it. One day I let a friend of mine take it over to show a friend of his who claimed to be an expert on old shotguns. He returned without my gun & told me his friend said that it is not safe to shoot with modern ammo, & probably not safe period. But, he would be willing to trade me a brand new 12 ga. pump for it. I had shot it quite a bit by this time with no trouble, & was not about to trade off the shotgun my grandpa gave me! & his eagerness to trade me a new gun for it seemed a little odd. Needless to say I kept my old shotgun!
    So, how many people out there have these Chicago Arms shotguns? It seems to be a rare piece, & I understand that rare doesn't always translate to valuable. But I'm the type of guy that likes odd makes, I collect AMC Ambassadors. So, what more can you people tell me about this gun? I will try to get some pictures taken & loaded soon!
    Thanks! ...Steve...
    If it has a "damascus" barrel it is not safe to shoot with shells loaded with modern smokeless powder.
    You can safely shoot it, if you reload or buy shotshells loaded with black powder.
    Damascus steel barrels will not withstand the pressures from modern smokeless powders.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Links