Ermmmm..... AR what?

This is a discussion on Ermmmm..... AR what? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been reading all the threads about building an AR15. All of what I have read has just confused me to a point where ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ermmmm..... AR what?

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

Ermmmm..... AR what?

I have been reading all the threads about building an AR15. All of what I have read has just confused me to a point where I simply stopped looking anymore.

I am interested in one myself, but I have absolutely no intentions of competition shooting or hunting of any kind.

I would like a home defense rifle only.

All I know is that an AR rifle can be built out of pieces from multiple sources.

I will have to do some more reading to figure out just which pieces do what and what maker produces a certain type of this n that for their AR's.

All I want is reliability and enough accuracy for home defense. Tacticool isnt necessary.

If I want to stay well under the $1000 mark, what makers will I be looking into? What do I want in a lower? Upper? Which barrel for home defense? Chromed or not chromed? Do I want/need a carry handle? Do I want .223 or 5.56?

I have seen complete AR's in Streichers magazine for under $900. One was a DPMS and another was S&W, which was a little more than $900.

2. Remove Ads

Bushmaster 16" Shorty Carbines are reasonably priced and I find it a nice size for HD.
    Got mine for $820 here Jackson Gun & Ammo - Store

I bought local, because its a PITA to get things shipped to NY.

But that should give you an idea on pricing

Administrator
    Unless you want to build for the sake of building, I suggest you get a complete rifle for the first go around.
    "Just blame Sixto"

BAC
    Or buy it in separate upper and lower halves (cheaper that way), but otherwise I agree with SIXTO.

-B

Administrator

Shop around on the DPMS website.
    Click Here To Go There

Check out their offerings. They have some very basic No Frills offerings.

Select Rifles - then your desired caliber - that will show you what they have - click on those rifles and that will give the specs.

Clicking on: Build Me This Rifle will give you the price.

You should be able to find at least one or two in the mid to high $700 range.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Whether you piece it together or buy whole, read this. Great info for newbs, and probably most AR people!

So you want to buy an AR-15, huh? - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com

Cliff notes on what to look for;

1- Gov't profile
    2- Chrome lined chamber and bore
    3- 5.56 NATO chamber
    4- 1/7 twist
    5- Parkerizing under front sight base
    6- M4 feed ramps
    7- Magnetic particle tested

VIP Member
    I'm not 100% sold on that link, Rusty. What does the average guy need a govt profile barrel for? Even chrome lining is probably not that important to a guy who will fire a few hundred rounds over the life of the rifle... Don't get me wrong, most of these are desireable features, to be sure, but are they "deal breakers" for a rifle that will see vastly more time in a safe than it does on the range? All these things come with an associated cost...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I'm not 100% sold on that link, Rusty. What does the average guy need a govt profile barrel for? Even chrome lining is probably not that important to a guy who will fire a few hundred rounds over the life of the rifle... Don't get me wrong, most of these are desireable features, to be sure, but are they "deal breakers" for a rifle that will see vastly more time in a safe than it does on the range? All these things come with an associated cost...
    I agree. I've read that post over and over... IMO it is aimed at someone going class III, and in addition, it assumes that government specs are the best available options.

Check out Stag, good value for the money.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

I built my AR for basically the same thing you are wanting one for, basically a SHTF home defense rifle. Mine is a 16" light weight upper with a chrome lined barrel on a DPMS lower. I got my fully assembled upper along with the parts kit with all the parts I needed from Del-Ton.com. That included the stock and a stock wrench which made putting the stock on easier. But it's not neccesary. I got my lower from a local gun show but you can get them from Buds Gun Shop, Guns for Sale for $100 plus FFL fees. The total cost of my build was just about $700. I used a write up I found on AR15.com: AR15.COM :: Forums :: Assemble your own LOWER, UPPER, FREE FLOAT, TRIGGER, GAS BLOCK - Step by step instructions! using no special tools. All you really need is a punch set(I got mine from Harbor Freight for a few bucks) and a set of vice grips(which I also got from harbor freight).

Using that guide you can have your AR-15 together in no time.

AR-15's are really easy to assemble. Don't let all the parts intimidate you. You can do it! I hope this all helps and doesn't confuse you. Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

Wht

Here's what mine looks like:
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I agree with OPFOR as well. Many of the features are not really needed for a home defense/ non hard combat situation. Check out here CDNN Sports, Inc. they did have bargin bin AR's for under $600 dollars.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Any brand will serve you well.

I'd suggest an A2 upper with a 16" barrel.

Light barrel, heavy barrel, stepped barrel will all be sufficient.
    Chrome lined is nice. stainless is nicer. Neither is required here.

A1 / A2 / telescoping shoulder stock based on what fits you.

CMMG bargain bin sounds like what you want. You'd still have money left over for practice ammo.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

I'll be getting my first one very soon and like this one since it's basically what I'd be putting together if I was making one myself.

Stag Arms Online Store

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I agree with OPFOR as well. Many of the features are not really needed for a home defense/ non hard combat situation. Check out here CDNN Sports, Inc. they did have bargin bin AR's for under $600 dollars.
    Bargain Bin appears to be over.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links