Preferred method for mounting Aimpoint to AR-15

This is a discussion on Preferred method for mounting Aimpoint to AR-15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have an old pre ban Bushmaster AR-15, A1 style with carry handle. No rails. What is the preferred method for mounting an Aimpoint Sight? ...

Thread: Preferred method for mounting Aimpoint to AR-15

Question Preferred method for mounting Aimpoint to AR-15

I have an old pre ban Bushmaster AR-15, A1 style with carry handle. No rails. What is the preferred method for mounting an Aimpoint Sight? Should I mount it low on top of the hand guards so I can co-witness with the iron sights? Or should I mount it high on top of the carry handle. Pros and cons would be nice for all you experts out there.

Thanks for your input,

Jeff
    Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeros everywhere... and I thought I saw a two.

2. Remove Ads

I dislike using a goose-neck mount with the Aimpoint. It sits too far forward for my taste. I also find it more difficult, and therefore slower, to pick-up the dot with the entire carry handle in my line of sight.

I had my Aimpoint mounted on a see-thru mount on top of my carry handle for two of my combat tours. I found the set up had a good deal to offer.

First, this arrangement provides an uncluttered sight picture. I prefer a uncluttered sight picture when using an optic as I find it easier to acquire the dot. Typically, I am ~.10 seconds faster getting a hit from the low-ready when using an uncluttered sight picture over having the sights in my field of view with the optic.

Second, I think the additional height of this arrangement also contributed to an increase in speed. I found it easier to interpose the optic in my line of sight when mounting the rifle from a low-ready position.

Additionally, I liked the fact that it was easy to transition to my iron sights. There was nothing to flip or fold up. I simply dropped my head a bit and I was on the irons. There really is no faster way to transition to your irons other than to shoot with them already in your field of view.

This arrangement does require you to use a "chin-weld" as opposed to a "cheek-weld" when using the optic. It does take some getting used to, but I do not consider it a negative.

Your rifle will also be taller than most. This can be a consideration when attempting to stow your rifle in the cramped quarters of a vehicle or aircaft.

It can also be an issue when shooting through a small opening. On a couple of occassions I was unable to shoot through a small opening because the rifle was too tall to allow me to clear the muzzle and see through the optic without significantly canting the rifle.

The biggest negative I found was related to zeroing and hold-offs. I prefer a zero that keeps the trajectory of the round close to my line of sight. Because the optic was mounted higher, it was difficult to find a zero that did that. I never really found a zero that I liked.

I experimented with a number of compromises. The best I found was to zero the optic at 100 meters and use my irons for longer shots. I found this to be marginally acceptable and I did not like the fact that this set-up limited my ability to use the optic further out. For a HD rifle, this arrangement might not be as big a problem.

Additionally, your hold-off at closer ranges is fairly substantial. To make hits in the cranio-ocular window inside 10 yards, I had to put the dot on top of the target's head. While this is really a training issue, it was an unnecessary complication.

Given the fact that you are limited to these two options, I would opt to mount the optic on top of the carry handle without hesitation.

For $110 you could get a new upper with a rail mount. I doubt a gunsmith would charge very much to switch out the barrel for you - or you could do it yourself if you buy the tools. I haven't done this, I'm in the process of collecting parts for some builds right now. Then the preferred method for mounting would become a Larue Tactical mount, or maybe branch out and try the up and coming ADM brand. That's my suggestion....

Austin

Thanks Blackhawk for the very informative response. Lots to consider before I decide how and where I am going to mount the Aimpoint. I have a ARMS A2 Plus MOD Mount which will allow me to mount the Aimpoint on top of the hand guard or on top of the carry handle. Which by the way, Austin, cost me more than a upper if the price you quoted is correct.
    Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeros everywhere... and I thought I saw a two.

Rainier Arms, LLC™ | Browse | Receivers - Upper | Upper: CMT / STAG Assembly

I don't know much installation would cost though. I'd guess less than $50 for sure, but then you would still end up having to buy a mount for the Aimpoint, which I think the good ones are ~$100+

LaRue Tactical Comp M2 Mount QD LT-150

Welcome To American Defense Manufacturing

I don't know how much money you have to throw around....budget makes a big difference with ARs. You can spend as much as you want!

Lots of people like their red dot sights to have a lower 1/3 cowitness. It keeps the irons out of the sight picture somewhat but they are still usable if need be. This is especially important if you have fixed iron sights. I don't know much about carry handle mounts, but if you already have one and it works for you and seems sturdy enough, I'd just keep that.

Austin

Links