Thoughts on the Ruger Mini 30

This is a discussion on Thoughts on the Ruger Mini 30 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a chance to pick up a Ruger Mini 30 (7.62 X 39) in stainless. this rifle has some upgrades done to make it ...

Thread: Thoughts on the Ruger Mini 30

I have a chance to pick up a Ruger Mini 30 (7.62 X 39) in stainless. this rifle has some upgrades done to make it "more accurate" It has a black synthetic stock and an H&K type muzzle break. It also comes with six factory magazines. I like the look of the rifle but know little to nothing about them. I would like to know some of the positive and negative things about them. From what I have gathered on the forum they are less desirable than an AR but I already have a Bushmaster and I though this would be a nice truck gun.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Administrator
    It would make a nice truck gun... and it would be nice to have something that shoot 7.62x39 to compliment your AR. Other than that, they are a typical Ruger; Built tough and lack the refinment of more expensive guns.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Only negative I've ever read about them is it's hard to find high capacity mags that are reliable. Hit or miss and what not.

And Ruger doesn't sell parts if that bothers you.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

The high cap mag thing doesn't bother me. I do want a reliable 7.62X39 caliber weapon. I sold an AK underfolder in the late 80's and I'm trying to replace it now but that might take some time.

It will be reliable for sure. Unless the deal is super sweet you might want to look at a WASR10 though. Unless AK is off the list for you.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by joleary223 View Post
    I do want a reliable 7.62X39 caliber weapon.
    Get an AK. Nothing against Ruger, but I can't think of any reason why I would pick a Mini-30 over a quality AK.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

What I have is a Romanian RPK 47 on a Hess receiver I paid 550.00 for back in the day. It's just a little big for what I want to use it for so when I saw this Ruger on a local forum I thought I might trade.

I've had one for several years. I like it. Nice, compact truck gun. I shoot cheap Wolf ammo in mine with misfires being common. (It's the ammo, not the rifle) It's totally reliable with good ammo.

JT
    I've never had a single problem with Wolf in an AK. I've had some under powered Wolf .223 that made an AR FTF, but never a problem with Wolf 7.62x39.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    I've never had a single problem with Wolf in an AK. I've had some under powered Wolf .223 that made an AR FTF, but never a problem with Wolf 7.62x39.
    Maybe I've got a bad batch. I get 5% or so that don't go off. They have a good, deep indentation in the primer - they just don't go bang. If I ever get it all shot up, I may try them again.

I have a mini 30 ranch and i boght a couple of 10 round usa mags that feed well ,you can also make a frankenmag by taking an AK or SKS mag cant remember which one and cutting spot rivets removing top of mag and replacing with the usa mag floorpate removed and mag bottom bent out to slide over top of 30 rounder then spot welded on.I lovemy carbine as i'm handicapped and can shoot from my vehicle,I have taken 2 deer 1 at 300 yards with this rifle and with soft point ammo dropped him like a rock,gun is more accurate than an AK or SKS IMHO
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by libertarian5 View Post
    Maybe I've got a bad batch. I get 5% or so that don't go off. They have a good, deep indentation in the primer - they just don't go bang. If I ever get it all shot up, I may try them again.
    I have had some wolf ammo n the past that had dud primers there were some if i remember right I refired them and they went bang on second hit,might be really hard primers
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I have had a Mini 30 for several years and have found mine to be a decent, reliable rifle. My 30 seems to be a little finicky about ammo and as long as I feed it Winchester white box ammo it does pretty good. I went with the Ruger because it just felt better in my hands than some of the other options out there, so it was a personal choice.

This modification is on the "to do list" for me sometime too:

Beartooth Bullets > Tips & Comments > Accuracy improvement for Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30
    ‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’

— Abraham Lincoln

Thanks for all the info but the deal fell through. Oh well, still looking for a good AK underfolder.

JT

Sponsored Links