Unfamiliar with hunting calibers

This is a discussion on Unfamiliar with hunting calibers within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Other than .30-06 and .223 of course. So if 450 Marlin was a handgun caliber, what would it be? 44mag? 454 Casull? The new 500? ...

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar

Other than .30-06 and .223 of course.

So if 450 Marlin was a handgun caliber, what would it be?
    44mag? 454 Casull? The new 500? Somethings else?

Anybody familiar with the Wincester M94 Timber in 450 Marlin?
    18" comp'd barrel, lever action, 4 round magazine, ghost ring sights but tapped for scope.

Deer gun? Bear gun? Godzilla gun? Estimated effective range?
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Lead Moderator
    If I recall correctly, the .450 is a straight walled cartridge similar to the .45 LC. It would be a bear suitable cartridge. Lots of power, lots of recoil.

The 450 Marlin is the Actual lloading of what the 45-70 should be and why it was created..

The factorys wont crank up the 45-70 becuse there so many old guns out there that probley couldnt handle the 450 marlin loading just like with the 44 Sp

So Marlin teamed with Hornady i think it was to create a modern loading of the 45-70 like most handloader loaders All Ready do.

Except avaible in Factory ammo and made it a Belted magnum so there was no way they could load it in a old say trap door springfield and blow it up

The 450 should pretty much take anything in north america probley a 200 yard gun with the short 18 inch tube could probley push it farther im sure but that about where i would stop

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    What Bud said 'cept for. Cal is .458"---case size(capacity) is the same as .45-70---is factory loaded HOT unlike a .45-70---ammo only comes in a couple of loadings, 350gr.is the one that comes to mind(Hornady brand)---fairly costly---one weapon Marlin Guide Gun---18" lever WITH PORTS--- I own a .45-70 which I handload for. If you want that kind of power and don't handload,get the .450Marlin -- BUT --if your gonna handload pick up a .45-70. What will it kill ?? Any north american game animal. Including the big bears. If your going after the really big animals(moose??) I would suggest that you get a .45-70 and reload for it(Bullet selection). P.S. These "full power" weapons are a blast to shoot.-----------

Assistant Administrator
    As I reload I use 45-70 - it goes thru my BFR and Ruger #1 tho only the Ruger gets the top load - and that would I know take any darned thing on four legs! I load with a 405 grainer!

To go further into your question Robb - up from .223 two popular cals are 22-250 and 25-06 - both great for varminting. Then on to .243 where I reckon you are getting into the lower end of deer calibers - I load a 105 Spitzer for .243 (6mm) and remember it is the 308 case capacity so - it sings along pretty well! Flat shooting round.

.270 is perhaps next in the common cals tho we should I guess include 6.5mm too - very popular with some folks. Mustn't forget 7mm mag. Next main jump then is to .30-06 and .308 - classic ''30 cal'' offerings. Above these are a few ''hotties'' like 300 Win mag - bit of overkill re deer tho! And of course 375 H&H but hey, that is huge Elk or bear material!

There are numerous less common cals all the way thru but these will do good service.

We have dealt with the big boys, instance 450 Marlin, 45-70 etc - but there are are other useful items too. Considering lever guns perhaps - those cals will do nicely and also we have .444.

A carbine for the Casull .454 would I think do well also at under 200 yard distances.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Theres no such thing as over kill the 300 win mag with a nosler balistic tips is the ticket for deer they move about 5 steps Trust me i know

Assistant Administrator
    300 win mag with a nosler balistic tips is the ticket for deer they move about 5 steps Trust me i know
    Wouldn't doubt that for a minute Bud - what I was meaning I guess is that good kills can be taken with ''just'' good ol' .308 or even smaller, with good bullets and good shot placement
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

OD*
    What will it kill ?? Any north american game animal. Including the big bears.
    And most African game, Vince Lupo took the Big Six with the old 45/70 Gov't.
    http://www.garrettcartridges.com/lupoindex.asp
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Links