Best 5.56 rounds for civilian self defense - Page 2

Best 5.56 rounds for civilian self defense

This is a discussion on Best 5.56 rounds for civilian self defense within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SleepingZ Extra velocity???? I am thinking that the 2 rounds are basically identical, I am under the impression that one of the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best 5.56 rounds for civilian self defense

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    Extra velocity???? I am thinking that the 2 rounds are basically identical, I am under the impression that one of the calibers can shoot both cartridges. Am I wrong here???

Z
    A .223 rifle can shoot 5.56x45, but it is not recommended (potential safety hazards for shooting higher pressure rounds than it was made for) and not optimal (see below). The 5.56 chamber is a hair looser (.224) than the .223 chamber for several reasons. A .223 chamber will be tighter fitting and is better for precision work than a 5.56 chamber. How much better is better I'm not sure, but competitors apparently care enough.

-B

"Having seen both M193 and 75-grain TAP shot into gelatin (which is, admittedly, not a person), I can say the difference is significant. Sorry, no pictures or cool diagrams. You will just have to take my word for it."

Fackler coming back at you.

I've killed some big hogs with my .223 and M193 rounds. Nearly all were bang flops. All were one shot kills. One big hog was standing broadside to me when shot behind the diaphram. Shards of that bullet shredded the heart and lungs.

Military bullet wound patterns

Sleeping Z -

The 5.56mm 75gr TAP is loaded to higher pressures, has crimped primers, a differently shaped ogive on the bullet (supposedly for more reliable feeding) and the primers are the harder military type. The cases are stamped 5.56mm and the velocity I got from my 13.7" 1/7P Noveske barrel averaged about 2625fps.

The .223 75gr TAP is the BTHP bullet with a cannelure. It is loaded to standard pressures for .223 Remington and uses Winchester primers. (They are pretty soft as far as primers go) The cases are stamped .223 Rem and the velocity I got from the same barrel averaged about 2520 fps.

There's some good information on this stuff out there - this is just the numbers I got. The difference averages about 125 or 150 fps out of most normal (14.5-20") barrels IIRC.

Austin

My Black Hills 75 gr HP .223 Remington chronographs at 2915 FPS from my Bushmaster Varminter.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links