New shottie question

New shottie question

This is a discussion on New shottie question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I was up at Gander looking at a new shotgun to get myself (For all those anti-Ganders out there, i'm not buying it there, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New shottie question

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Question New shottie question

So I was up at Gander looking at a new shotgun to get myself (For all those anti-Ganders out there, i'm not buying it there, just looking at the larger selection. I have a cheaper place to buy my guns... so calm down ) Anyway... I want something better for home defense. My 27' Mossburg does the trick, but it has a 27' barrel. I use it for hunting. I like the tactical style pump shotguns with the grips and colapsable stocks. I saw the Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag 12 gauge and I loved it It fit nice, it felt right... then I got the glare from the wife and I set it down like a good boy and walked away from it. I plan on getting one at some point tho. Does anyone own a tactical style shottie? Advantages and disadvantages?

Senior Moderator
    I would buy a 18 or 20 inch barrel for your current gun.

For me that's all the "Tacticle" a shotgun needs to be.

Of course a new barrel is nowhere near as fun as a new gun, but it is a heck of a lot cheaper.

Check out their website here Shotgun Barrels

You may find a better deal at Midway or one of the other large shooting supply shops
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Good site... now what about adding a grip? I don't think my current shotgun has a spot for a grip... I'm assuming you can get that with a new stock?

Senior Moderator
    From the same place you can order, stocks, pistol grips, heat shields etc....

I like a traditional full stock on my shotguns, but thats me.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Good site... now what about adding a grip? I don't think my current shotgun has a spot for a grip... I'm assuming you can get that with a new stock?
    Check out this one: Knoxx Recoil Solutions

Christ... by the time I buy all these new parts and have them shipped, I could have just bought a new one

Seriously tho... are there any dis-advantages to a tactical shotgun?

Senior Moderator
    Well besides if you see the word "Tactical" on something it costs more there is not a lot of difference.

Look at Mavarick 88 (<link) from bud's gun shop.

Should be just over $200 delivered to your FFL (including transfer fees)

― Robert A. Heinlein,

there is a few IMO. One of my friends found out REAL quick that you can not take up sights and aim. One busted lip later he began listening to me. I went ahead and put a collapsiable butt on it for myself. I can shoot it we either way, but that is me.
    SAPPERS BREACH BUTT NAKED

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting hunting is not supporting the 2nd Amendment !

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Well besides if you see the word "Tactical" on something it costs more there is not a lot of difference.

Look at Mavarick 88 (<link) from bud's gun shop.

Should be just over $200 delivered to your FFL (including transfer fees)

I have a Maverick 88 currently. It has a 27' barrel. I do like it, but don't really want to change it. I guess what I am looking for is something smaller to maneuver in the house if a BG breaks in. A 27' barrel feels like its reaching clear to the other wall and its rather heavy... good for sitting in a tree stand, bad for maneuvering in the house.

Remi 870 marine magnum w/ ATI acc.

Administrator

See my signature
    "Just blame Sixto"

THe only read disadvantage I can see to "tactical" shotties is the short barrel affects accuracy at long range, but its for accross the room distances anyways. Instead of the 835 I'd be looking for a 500 or 590, simply because you probably won't be using 3 1/2 in shells for home defense (although I guess you could), so why spend the extra money for that feature?

A nice short side by, like the stoeger coach gun, which is much shorter and easier to maneuver is also an option, although obviously your ammo capacity is greatly reduced.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Christ... by the time I buy all these new parts and have them shipped, I could have just bought a new one

First sentence...exactly. Although putting one together is fun and you can do it a little at a time which will help the budget. It's up to you. I built my first one...sold it...and bought my next one pretty much set up. (shameless benelli plug coming) The advantage with a Mossberg is that they come in every shape, form and fashion...stripped to almost loaded. Endless aftermarket accessories abound. They are very well respected, rock solid shotguns. Several other shotgun manufacturers are jumping on the tactical wagon. (black and evil) I jumped on the Benelli Super Nova tactical for 460. bucks. It came with the combination pistol grip/full stock and ghost ring sights and of course...an eighteen inch barrel. All I had to add was a mag. extension to bump it up to an 8 rd. capacity.

Second sentence...none that I'm aware of.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

VIP Member

Mossberg 835 being used by Mr. Chooie.
    I changed the barrel to a unchoked smoothbore with rifle sights, installed a B-Square mount and a refurbished Tasco Red Dot. Oh! and it has one of those elastic shell holders on the buttstock. One of these days I might buy a tube extension to hold 3 more shells.

IMHO it shoots like a dream.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

My gosh those 27' barrels must be quite a load vs. the 27" barrels but at least you can swat pheasants out of the sky with 'em when you run out of ammo!! Awe c'mon, someone had to say it

In all seriousness I have a Mav 88 with a 18.5" barrel and a light. My Knoxx specops folder should be here in a few days and that should do it:

Mav 88 $165 @ Wal Mart
    18.5 barrel $58 used at local gunshop
    Light- $20 w/ scope rings @ Wal Mart w/home engineering
    Knoxx folder $110 (ouch)new off Ebay (ouch again)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links