What configuration? - Page 2

What configuration?

This is a discussion on What configuration? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If I'm going to be using an AR within the legal limits (16" barrel minimum), I want 16" of barrel, not 11.5" with a 5" ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What configuration?

If I'm going to be using an AR within the legal limits (16" barrel minimum), I want 16" of barrel, not 11.5" with a 5" tube that only destroys ballistics or similar things. I want an extra 2" of sight radius, etc. I want handguards that take advantage of that. I don't want an extra 2" of pipe sticking out. I also want a heavy barrel. On a 16" gun, that's no big deal as far as weight is concerned, but I'm also used to my FALs.

For me, that meant the only option was really the RRA Elite CAR upper in a mid-length configuration. I also will only buy a flattop - the thing should have been built that way from the get-go.

I also have no need for four sided-rails and most of the other stuff. I do have BUIS with the rail extension and a red dot that's permanently mounted to extension for zero in the event that I actually remove the night vision scope.

Resale hurts you with a A2 only option these days big-time.

Any of the major brands (RRA/Colt/Bushmaster) will deliver quality rifles with good resale value.

Don't get me wrong - for me the AR is a special purpose rifle (light enough to be effective when moving with a night vision scope) only.

But I think I've pretty well outlined my how and why.

Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    If I'm going to be using an AR within the legal limits (16" barrel minimum), I want 16" of barrel, not 11.5" with a 5" tube that only destroys ballistics or similar things. I want an extra 2" of sight radius, etc.
    THAT is the best point I've heard and I agree. I see so many of these things with suppressors and whatnot welded onto the barrel. I concur.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    if i was buying Again .... I would go with a HBAR flattop with the M4 6 postion stock and the good adjustable sights on the carry handle and the flip up sight for the front ...

Might cost a little more but still

I have a Std 16 inch HBAR now has the 6 postion stock but would still love a flattop

I have never replaced a part in my Bushmaster orther than the rear stock change been a good gun with lots of rounds
    I'm 100% with you on this one, Bud. I'd add either a low power ACOG sight or a Holo Sight.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    What I built, and if you're going to buy I suggest building. Segway:
    Go to your local gun store and buy a good stipped lower reciever. Then go to Model1sales.com and order a full kit. You will save about $200, you learn the weapon well and have the pride of saying "I built it!"
    Anyway, M4 config with the A2 upper. Love the collapsible stock, the kids acna shoot it easily.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Senior Moderator
    Euc,

I've got an Armalite flat top and a carbon fiber model. I like'em but I rarely shoot them any more - don't know why. As of late, I've pondered the role of the AR type weapon for a civie and especially as home defense weapon. Indoors, with no ear protection, the muzzle blast of these things must be nearly incapacitating. I suspect it would be well beyond the threshold of pain. Once your hearing has basically shut down by the muzzle blast, you are at an extreme disadvantage. The muzzle flash would likely shut down your night vision.

I've about decided to go with my 9mm Beretta Storm (carbine) as a home defense gun. A 9mm handgun cartridge fired through the rifle length barrel shouldn't have near the muzzle blast and all the powder of a handgun cartridge should burn before the bullet exits the barrel so there shouldn't be much of a muzzle flash. It is light, compact, short, agile, holds twenty-one rounds and doesn't have a big magazine sticking down in the front of the gun. While it doesn't have the range of a .223, it is good out to 100 yards and I can't imagine needing to shoot in self-defense over 30 yards and the 9mm is certainly effective at that range and the Storm is more than precise at that range.

Just some things to think about. But if this is for purely home defense or SHTF scenarios I'm not sure the AR15 is the best choice. But, I hope others will express their thoughts about this.

But, of course if the justification is you're wanting a AR type rifle, that's justification enough!

Actually Tangle I'm looking into one because it's just so easy to own. Need a part? There's millions of them. Need ammunition? Everyone makes it. Need training? Everyone trains it. The upfront cost may be expensive but over time it pans out pretty well.

I don't really own a "good" semiautomatic centerfire rifle either. I'm not really an EBR type. I reason I need one and probably just exactly one real EBR to be prepared though.

OD*
    and the Storm is more than precise at that range.
    More precise than an AR?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OD
    More precise than an AR?
    "...and the Storm is more than precise at that range." That may not have been clear. I didn't say the Storm is more precise, I said it was more than precise at that range [30 yards], meaning it would have ample accuracy at 30 yards for say a precise head shot.

I was actually thinking more in terms of the Storm's advantage over a pistol for longer shots.
    Last edited by Tangle; October 11th, 2005 at 01:04 PM.

Senior Moderator
    Euc,
    I follow and agree with your reasoning, but what's an EBR????

Evil Black Rifle

Senior Moderator
    Thanks, Bud!

Euc, I had a 20" HBAR Bushy that was simply the Angel Of Death's Right Hand. So accurate, it was just plain boring. One mod that I really liked was Olympic's pneumatic buffer- replacing the spring in the stock. Allows you to adjust resistance for the round pressure/rate of fire, and gets rid of the "sproing" when you fire. Smith Enterprises make the original Vortex, and the most effective muzzle brake I've used. I had a rail and fore grip to hold the muzzle up !

If you're set on .223, it will certainly do. I would note that the JLD HK-91 clones have a sterling reputation, and will actually run a bit less(shop around!) than a comparable AR start-up package.

OD*
    Tangle,

I see your meaning, thank you sir.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OD
    Tangle,

I see your meaning, thank you sir.
    Well, when I re-read my post, I saw it wasn't as clear as it could have been - my bad.

I'm trying to put a 9mm together at the moment. RRA lower assembly with a 9mm buffer and a DPMS hammer (works with both 9mm and .223 uppers), and a SOG armory pad on the M4 stock. The upper is an A3, also from RRA, and its topped off with an A1 carry handle (from CNCgunsmithing.com), and it has an A2 aperture. I dont care much for A2 sight assembly.

Future mods include a Badger Ordnance charging handle latch, a sling (probably a single point from Troy) and a surefire 6P clamped to the FSB. Along with the mag block that RRA hanst shipped yet. They sent the buffer and the upper though, so at the moment I have everything I need except what I need to load a magazine the rifle. I've got a lot of money tied up that single-shot AR. This is torture...

I sold my .223 AR a while back, but I'm going to replace it soon. I'll probably go with a RRA flattop upper with a 16" chrome lined 1:9" twist barrel and CAR handguards. The lower will probably be a stripped Stag assembled with DPMS parts, a 6 postion stock with the H2 buffer, maybe the 9mm buffer. Otherwise set up the same as my 9mm. Thankfully I won't have to wait on a mag block...

If I need (want, lol) any more ARs after i get these two put together, I'll probably just build them myself. I dont plan on using anything from M1S either, I've handled some of their stuff, and I wasnt impressed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links