AR-15 Ammo choice & barrel selection

This is a discussion on AR-15 Ammo choice & barrel selection within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Building my first AR-15. I am not decided on which barrel configuration I will get. Please answer the poll as best as you can with ...

View Poll Results: Which combination ammo/barrel might be best for Self Defense AR-15

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Light bullet with 16" 1 in 9 twist barrel

9 25.00%
  • Light bullet with 16" 1 in 7 twist barrel

1 2.78%
  • Heavy bullet with 16" 1 in 9 twist barrel

9 25.00%
  • Heavy bullet with 16" 1 in 7 twist barrel

7 19.44%
  • I prefer a completely different combination not listed

7 19.44%
  • Go pound sand

3 8.33%
    Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

Building my first AR-15. I am not decided on which barrel configuration I will get. Please answer the poll as best as you can with what you have experienced regardless of what has been written or suggested in other articles and forums.

I will mostly use this for fun/plinking but it will definitely be set up for a home defense rifle.

I added to the 'I prefer a completely different combination not listed' category. My current AR is a 1/9" twist 11 1/2" barrel. 45gr JHP's in the HD mags. HD or coyotes to 100 yds?

I selected 'other', pound sand was tempting but only because it's my favorite phrase.

1:9 14.5" is my favorite so far. I shoot mostly M193 (55gr). Zero complaints. Big heavy match ammo is a no go, same with really light 40-45 gr. varmint bombs.

Well, you guys who talk about the "shorter than 16" barrels", how do you legally have these? According to what I have seen and read, shorter than 16" is illegal for regular civilians to use.

A 1:7 barrel offers the most versatility with regard to ammunition selection when self-defense is a consideration. It will allow you to shoot the heavier bullets that are generally regarded to be the best terminal performers in the caliber. You will also be able to shoot cheaper 55-grain FMJ for plinking/practice.

1:7 means you can shoot 50 to 80+ grain bullets. 75 grain TAP just happens to be the best for shooting people (terminal ballistics wise). 1:9 twist barrels may be able to stabilize the 75 grain bullets. Some people say they shoot fine. Others get huge groups at 25 yards. I think it will vary from barrel to barrel, likely the deeper grooves will work better. 16" as a total overall length is the minimum legal length. I have a 13.7 inch barrel and my barrel has an overall length of 16.1", some barrels will be 14.7" with a permanently attached A2 hider that makes 16", or there are 14.5" barrels with various flash hiders that will make 16 inches as well. If you want a 16" barrel you don't have to use a flash hider at all - you will likely want to, but it won't have to be permanently attached.

Hope this helps....

Austin

Now we're gettin' somewhere!

That info, if correct, will mean I can now choose my barrel and not worry so much as to which one I SHOULD get. If the 1:7 works well in "most" situations and also with the heavier ammo, that will be what I want.

Hornady TAP and/or the Federal Tactical .223 are the two SD ammo types I have looked at for what I will purchase. Lake City .223 or some rejected 5.56mm will be my target/practice ammo.

I like 55 gr. TAP from my 16" M&P shoots great nice recoil nice groups at 100 yrds. and good penitration for self defense. Just my thaughts, but I am new to AR's so take it with a grain of salt.

My AR's with 1:9 twist don't like heavier bullets. I have a R.R, with a 1:8...it seems to really like 75 & 77 gr. bullets...so I voted for the 1:7 with heavy bullets...specifically thinking along the lines of the TAP ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Well, you guys who talk about the "shorter than 16" barrels", how do you legally have these? According to what I have seen and read, shorter than 16" is illegal for regular civilians to use.
    Actually you can have as short a barrel as you want and even put a suppressor on it. All legal...depending on your state and your willingness to pay the government for the $200 tax stamp. That said I run a 10.5" 1/7 with 75g TAP for social encounters

Quote Originally Posted by Final Option View Post
    Actually you can have as short a barrel as you want and even put a suppressor on it. All legal...depending on your state and your willingness to pay the government for the $200 tax stamp. That said I run a 10.5" 1/7 with 75g TAP for social encounters
    I'll add that in WA, you can't have an SBR, and you can have a silencer, but you can't install it or use it. Seriously.

So I order my 14.5" barrels with a permanently attached flash hider to make me legal (16" and a hair). That is an option you may want to keep in mind, as another poster also pointed out.

Bushmaster 11 1/2" barrel, 5 1/2" bird cage flash suppressor. The 'commando' upper.

Any of those combos will work. I have a 7 inch twist AR and use 64-77gr bullets.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Why would you get a SBR and then and a 5 inch flash suppressor to it? Doesn't that negate the advantage of the shorter barrel? Why not just get a 14.5" or 16 inch barrel with a shorter flash suppressor?

Links