I can't trust my 870 anymore

This is a discussion on I can't trust my 870 anymore within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Remington 870 12 gauge that I modified to accept a magazine tube extension. I drilled out the dimples and sanded them down. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

I have a Remington 870 12 gauge that I modified to accept a magazine tube extension. I drilled out the dimples and sanded them down. I took it to the range, and the shells sometimes get hung up in the magazine tube and I have to shake the gun to get the shells to pop into the chamber. The tube extension is from TacStar, and I don't know if I need to do some more sanding or get a different tube extension. I'm thinking about just selling the whole gun and getting another 870 with a tube extension already on it.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Sounds like a project for.... a gunsmith.

It's okay. I have a car that's in similar condition thanks to my playing mechanic. Just the nature of inexpert work in any field is that you risk making mistakes. My car's my project and I'll keep at it until that thing goes right. I imagine that with enough time you'll get your gun running smooth again, if you can afford the time.

Did you use the same spring or put in the extended spring,also put in 3 shells see how it functions,then 4,then 5 and see where it's hanging at,that will let you know which part of the tube the shells are sticking in and if it's where the dimples were then more dremel time,also you might try putting shells in without the spring to see if the spring isn't sticking on something preventing it from pushing the shells down
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

How did you drill out the dimples? You may have compressed the tube, if you ran too hard & fast. Is the opening of the mag tube, where the threading starts still chamfered? If not, your spring may be hanging there

I had this problem once. Cost me 20 bucks to have a gunsmith turn the spring follower around in the magazine. Fixed the problem right away. It was the metal part that is right where the shells feed in. Some idiot (me) put it in backwards. The gun seemed ok but would just not feed right.

Administrator
    Dont blame the gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have to agree. If you're having trouble with a Remington 870 only after you "modified" it...there's a chance you're dealing with a self-induced issue. Time for a professional evaluation.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Administrator
    What extension tube did you use?
    I think some of the best are made by Choate Machine & Tool
    Magazine Extensions
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    What extension tube did you use?
    I think some of the best are made by Choate Machine & Tool
    Magazine Extensions
    The tube extension is from TacStar

Look at his first statement again Don't you just hate it when you speed read.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I blame myself for this, because I altered the gun. It worked fine before I modified it. I'll see what I can do with it to make it work better.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    I blame myself for this, because I altered the gun. It worked fine before I modified it. I'll see what I can do with it to make it work better.
    Diagnosis is the problem. Basically, you need to know here your spring is binding. If you want to check for a dent in the mag tube, strip the shotty down to the trigger group, barrel, mag extension and the receiver/mag tube. Hole the receiver upright, and place the follower over the opening of the mag tube. Put some nickles on it, or even a 00 shell (since I doubt you'll get it to fire w/o any major assemblies) and drop it down the tube. If it free-falls, no dents. If it hangs, then...

As above, next check would be the mouth of the mag tube. It should have a light chamfer on the inner edge. Lightly polishing with 320 wet/dry paper should do it. Also check the follower, and make sure it doesn't have something embedded in its side, making it drag. Then look down the extension with a light, looking for rough edges or debris.

If that doesn't turn up any clues or solutions, an armorer needs to directly eyeball it.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I purchased the ATI nylon polymer extension tube for my 870. I had to modify NOTHING for it to fit and work perfectly. Why did you have to modify your shotgun for this particular tube?

Lead Moderator
    Fix the issue. even if the gun needs a new mag tube, why get a whole new shotgun? you can order parts if you home smithing job doesn't turn out right. I have modded the factory 870 mag tube before. It just takes some patience and work.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Good news!

I got it working again. It turned out it wasn't anything to do with the magazine extension or spring. It was a long metal piece that went inside the receiver that keeps the forearm from coming off, it was bent to where it blocked the shells from entering the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    Good news!

I got it working again. It turned out it wasn't anything to do with the magazine extension or spring. It was a long metal piece that went inside the receiver that keeps the forearm from coming off, it was bent to where it blocked the shells from entering the chamber.
    Brownells - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories and Gunsmithing Tools
    ????? If it's part # 88 or 89, those are generally staked in place. If one was bent, it would be worth seeing about having it replaced, as either the staking was bad or the part has been weakened(either way, the problem can/will happen again, unexpectedly). Unless I much misunderstand what you're describing...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links