5.56 or 6.8 SPC?

This is a discussion on 5.56 or 6.8 SPC? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Another question from me about ammo for the AR. Hope you guys dont get sick of this too quickly. I am still trying to decide ...

Thread: 5.56 or 6.8 SPC?

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

5.56 or 6.8 SPC?

Another question from me about ammo for the AR. Hope you guys dont get sick of this too quickly.

I am still trying to decide on a caliber for my upper assembly. I know eventually I can add as many other uppers as I need to the lower, but, for my main purchase I am thinking about going with the 6.8 SPC.

I know the military isnt gonna give up on 5.56 too awful soon, but its a possiblility and is also a good chance more law enforcement agencies may go with this round which would make it more popular with ammo manufacturers.

The round looks like a real scorcher as for performance and ballistics. However, I have noticed it isnt as easily found as 5.56/.223.

Give me your opinions on this route. Would I be making a mistake to jump on the 6.8 SPC wagon this early?

2. Remove Ads

I love the round,it's just finding reasonable ammo!
    If money wasn't A object that's what I would get.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

6.5 Creedmore! Just kidding, but not 100% kidding. LOL! Get the norm--5.56mm chamber if you must.

Lead Moderator
    I fear 6.8 may be a passing fad for caliber , kind of like the 45GAP. For the money 5.56mm chamber will make you ammo buying much cheaper and easier to find.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I think it really depends on what the purpose of the rifle is. If it is going to be your primary long gun in a SHTF or EOTWAWKI scenario I would go with 5.56 because at least in theory there will be more of it around. If it is going to be for situations where you believe you would not be needing a time critical resupply you could go either way. I would also consider the range you expect to be engaging targets at. I have two AR platforms, one carbine and one H-bar match. They are both in 5.56 and I consider them to be my close to medium range rifles. If I need to engage anything that the H-bar wont reach I am grabbing my .308 bolt action. If you don't have that luxury the 6.8 might be the way to go.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

6.8 is expensive if you plan on doing a lot of shooting i would shy away from it,reloading is a little cheaper but initial brass and bullets will be costly
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    The round looks like a real scorcher as for performance and ballistics.
    Not really. PDF of 6.8 SPC

That's just one example, but even using match and high quality ammo it's performance isn't really that much better than the heavier 5.56 rounds.

For comparison, check out this thread. Actually a pretty good discussion there, and some good charts as well. No ballistics gelatin, though.

Were I you, I'd pick a 5.56 rifle and be happy. If you really wanted an oddball AR caliber (which the 6.8 SPC is), my two top picks are .300 Whisper and 6.5 Grendel.

-B

my vote would be for the 5.56

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Yes, y ou are all correct. I did another days worth of reading and searching on the 6.8 SPC and it seems it just didnt win much favor so far. It is hard to find and the performance isnt much better, if any at all, over 5.56.

So, with that knowledge I will proceed with 5.56 and maybe later build another upper for 6.5 Grendel which seems to be more logically viable.

BAC
    I like the Grendel a lot. Because of the wide range of bullet sizes possible with the Grendel, it's a lot easier to tune it to specific functions (long range tack driving or shorter ranger personal defense). The SPC just doesn't have that flexibility.

Now, if one wants a really fun oddball AR round, snag a .300 Whisper and suppress it. More energy at 300m than a suppressed .308 at 100m, and it's quiet. Out of my price range, but a man can dream (and save).

-B

I'm pretty certain the 6.5mm Grendel is supierior to the 6.8mm SPC in almost every aspect. Not sure about ammo costs though.

Links