Which shotgun for hd ?

This is a discussion on Which shotgun for hd ? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; mossberg 500 or remington 870? They are both pump actions and I intend to put 1000 rds in 90 days. Which one could I trust ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which shotgun for hd ?

Which shotgun for hd ?

mossberg 500 or remington 870? They are both pump actions and I intend to put 1000 rds in 90 days. Which one could I trust again and again? Has anyone shot these guns for that long?
    Smith and Wesson SW40VE -SOLD
    XD9 4'' -Current
    Kimber Ultra Carry II- coming

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    The 870 is the better built gun and will take the abuse better. If you want to compare apples to apples, ask about the 590 and the 870.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I dont know, it seems as though the 870 reputation has been questioned lately (not by me, I dont have one). I have seen a lot more negative feedback by 870 owners recently than I have ever noticed before. I would recommend searching this excellent forum and maybe some other forums also. Good luck.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by firestarplus View Post
    I dont know, it seems as though the 870 reputation has been questioned lately (not by me, I dont have one). I have seen a lot more negative feedback by 870 owners recently than I have ever noticed before. I would recommend searching this excellent forum and maybe some other forums also. Good luck.
    Thats because Remington has folded to the tacticool crowd instead of sticking with what works... buy the correct model, and you will be fine.
    "Just blame Sixto"

When I was in the Marine Corps we used Mossberg 590's and put tons of rounds through them without problems. Now I think they carry Benelli's. As a LEO we use Remington 870's and again, we put a lot through them without issues. If I had a choice, I am partial to the 870 as a more versatile platform.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Buy you a standard Remington 870 Express or Wingmaster. Then buy an 18" barrel, tactical grip and forend kit, a tac light if you want one and some Self Defense #00 buck shot and you will have a great reliable HD shotty.

I think the 870 is the best bet. I have never had problems with mine, and they're reliability is legendary. Just keep it clean & lubed!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    When I was in the Marine Corps we used Mossberg 590's and put tons of rounds through them without problems. Now I think they carry Benelli's. As a LEO we use Remington 870's and again, we put a lot through them without issues. If I had a choice, I am partial to the 870 as a more versatile platform.
    These days its a mix of Benelli's as well as 590's and 500's.

I'm partial to the 500, I like the controls a bit better, but you can't really go wrong with either one. Honestly I'd buy whichever one you found a better deal on. Just my $0.02
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Based on the reputation of the Rem 870, I've got one on order: a factory 870P SBS, 14" bbl, +1rd extension, short stock, ghost ring sights. I fully expect it will take several thousand rounds per year without missing a beat. Should, with the Police model's innards and massaging, and a local shop that has been a Remington authorized service/repair shop for a long while. Tick tock ... tick tock ... waitin' on the ATF paperwork.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    I Like to controls on the 500 better, but I own both a 870 and a 500. Either one is fine
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

+1 on the 870
    I just bought my first shotgun for sport shooting but bought a 18inch barrel for home defence. I have only had it 4 weeks, been through well over 1000 rounds (I love shooting clays) and have yet to hae a problem.

like Sixto says, "There is nothing tactical about the word tactical" Just get a shotgun with a 18'' barrel and your good to go. I wanted a shotgun that I could change around for diffrent jobs, and the 870 is great for my needs.

I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

I am going to go against the grain here. I agree with Sixto that the 590 is superior to the 500. They are still in use in the sandbox along with the Benelli.

I just read an article in a gun mag last night that was written by a Marine who is over there carrying a 590.

Where I am going to disagree a little is in the assertion that an 870 is as good as a Mossberg 500. Now I don't want to intentionally ruffle any feathers , only relay my opinion based on what I have seen.

I have a pretty big group of redneck family and friends who are pump gun people by nature. I know a few guys who have fired thousands of rounds through both and also a few Winchester 1200's. Two of these fellas in particular are not into gun maintainenece whatsoever. Thier Mossy's look like crap but they still run. Whether in a muddy duck blind on a salt marsh, covered in dirt mud in the FL swamps, whatever, Mossbergs work. My Dad has bounced his Mossy around in the woods for over 30 years with no problems. He does keep his clean BTW.

I have seen more malfunctions with 870 express shotguns than any of the other two pumps mentioned. I would not trust my life to an 870 express. A wingmaster, yes. They were well built and I know of two that have bounced around behind the seat of a truck for 20 yrs without much care, and they always function.

If it were me, I would take a Mossberg over an 870 express any day. I would, and do, also rely on a Winchester 1200. (My HD shottie is a Winchester Defender, but my hunting guns, which are used for both hunting and pump gun runs in sporting clays and skeet, are both Mossberg 500s.) One of my cousins has a 1200 and it is his only do all gun for everything from clays to deer to trukey. He's never had a problem with it. Same with another cousin who has a Mossberg 500, and a two other close friends, one of which has shot literally thousands of rounds in clays competition as well as hunting.. At clays courses, every malfunctioning pump gun I have seen in "pump gun scramble tourneys" has been with an 870 except one time I saw a guy who had trouble with a Win. 1200 or 1300, I'm not sure which.

I had an 870 express that would double feed a lot, (release two shells form the mag when pumped) and also had problems with the ejector. I got rid of it. It was a new gun when I got it and I never managed to fire more than 500 rounds though it. My other cousin had the same double feed problem with his 870 express and a broken firing pin. His gun was never run hard or shot much either.

Again, this is just my opinion, and is admittedly anecdotal based on my experiences. You asked; I answered. YMMV
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Well, I am a trapshooter and have put many thousands of rounds out of 870's in the past and the older ones are bulletproof. I can't speak for the new ones though. If you want a great HD gun that will never skip a beat, go with the 870 or an Ithica M-37. Those are probably the best two defensive shotguns in the world. The 590 and 500 are good too though and pretty inexpensive to boot. I have been shooting shotguns since 1967 and have shot everything from H&R toppers to Ljutics and Perazzis and if you point it in the right place, an 870 will do the same job on the target.

Administrator
    I would take a 590 over an express as well, but the 870P or wingmaster is my first choice.
    "Just blame Sixto"

It's your gun so do with it as you will, but the only extras I would consider are perhaps rifle type sights if you intend to ever use slugs. I would add a leather lace on slide to the stock that holds five rounds or so. If you ever intend to take the gun afield, a sling might prove handy. And there are some situations where a mounted light might be useful. But I'd forget the magazine extentions, pistol grips, folding stocks, etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links