HD Shotgun w/a toddler?

HD Shotgun w/a toddler?

This is a discussion on HD Shotgun w/a toddler? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok here's my situation. I want to add a SG to the HD arsenal, but I don't know how I can keep one loaded in ...

Thread: HD Shotgun w/a toddler?

HD Shotgun w/a toddler?

Ok here's my situation. I want to add a SG to the HD arsenal, but I don't know how I can keep one loaded in my bedroom within easy/quick reach and still keep my home safe for my 2 year old toddler. I know that right now, I can just put it somewhere high enough off the ground so he can't get to it, but that solution won't last for long + it probably isn't a good enough solution to keep the wife happy. A gun safe is another option, but that seems to blow away the easy/quick requirement. I'm looking for suggestions that will pass a curious toddler test and the wife inspection while still being relatively easy and quick. Fire away!

btw... my handguns currently live in a push button electronic lock box in my nightstand drawer when they are not on my person. Not the quickest (compared to a gun on top of the nightstand), but I can get a gun in my hands at night in about 5 seconds if I really needed to. Also a full size push button safe is probably outside of my budget unless you guys know of some smokin' deal floating around.

Thanks!

The full size push-button safe was going to be my suggestion. Maybe some hooks in the ceiling of the closet - would be better than leaned up against the wall at least.

Austin

How about keeping the shells in the tube; none in the chamber. A pump is 1) fast 2) intimidating and 3) doubtful a toddler could perform. I have a 14 month old and am starting to have the same concerns.

I posed a similar question a few weeks back, here: click. Basically, the idea is a single-shotgun mount with a lock, securely anchored to the wall. I would much prefer a quick-access (ie biometric or keypad) lock, but the TufLoc type setup seems a solid approach.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I know some on here have said that they put bicycle hooks above the door to their closet, and secure the shotgun there, that seems like a pretty viable approach for ya. You can even do that and keep it condition 3 if that helps ease your mind.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I am going to do the "above the closet door" thing but until then I rack my slide while empty then fill the tube and put the safety on. Now the slide release needs to be pushed (extra difficult with the new Knoxx folding stock) before a shell can be chambered and then the safety must be moved to off. Alot of stuff for my 4 yr old girl to figure out if she ever decided to touch my Mav 88. (I hope/believe/PRAY that she is educated enough to not touch ANY gun ANYWHERE at ANYTIME without my presence).

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I know some on here have said that they put bicycle hooks above the door to their closet, and secure the shotgun there, that seems like a pretty viable approach for ya. You can even do that and keep it condition 3 if that helps ease your mind.

This is what I do. Mag tube full, chamber empty, hammer down. I just need to rack the slide and turn off the safety and I'm ready to roll
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Thanks for the ideas guys! I can possibly convince my wife that the "over the door" method will work. If not, I'm sure I could get away with the TufLoc option. Fumbling around with keys in the dark doesn't sound like fun tho

SB,

You need do a search as this question do=es and has come up often in general and myself I had a thread in specific not too long ago featuring solutions toward as much;

Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...n-actions.html

Within the above you will see reference to the Benelli 'Chamber Lock' which works with any shotgun be it pump or auto, left handed or right.

- Janq has a 22 mo. and 5 yr. old kids
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by stickybeatz View Post
    Thanks for the ideas guys! I can possibly convince my wife that the "over the door" method will work. If not, I'm sure I could get away with the TufLoc option. Fumbling around with keys in the dark doesn't sound like fun tho

Keep the key by itself and put in in the lock when you go to bed. Remove the key in the morning.
    -Biker

Distinguished Member
    It all sends chills down my spine. You can bet the ranch, especially with boys, that they will eventually get their hands on your guns, no matter how secure. The key is gun awareness, gun safety, gun instruction to help take curiosity out of the equation. With my boys it seemed to work. I also said life would end if they ever showed their friends where my guns were. But I will also say that there is no absolute secure system if children want to handle your firearm when you are not there. Children and teens have very little "situational awareness" and no "history" to tie in firearms, alcohol, and speeding.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

I use a V-Line long gun case for my M1S90 which I keep under the bed. I've set the push button combo to be the same as my V-Line pistol case in my nightstand.

Before my boy became mobile I used the "over the door hook method in the closet". To be honest, the locked case under the bed is much faster, there's room for additional ammo storage, the gun stays dust free, and it's more secure.

The only downside is the cost which is around $300 for the model I have, but still it's pretty cheap peace of mind.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

I keep a pump shotgun by my dresser, within reach of the bed. It is empty, action open, safety on, and rounds on the buttstock. By the time any kid is phsycally able to get it loaded and the safety off, they will have been well instructed in safety and have been shooting at the range for a couple of years.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Links