help w/ak47

This is a discussion on help w/ak47 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; im going to the gun show this weekend and will see what they have as far as aks are concerned. can some of you help ...

Thread: help w/ak47

help w/ak47

im going to the gun show this weekend and will see what they have as far as aks are concerned. can some of you help me w/what to look for in quality. how do you tell the difference between milled and stamped receiver, can i actually tell if one has a chrome lined barrel,what brand to look for or ones to stay away from and so on...thanks
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

2. Remove Ads

You will find a lot of information on this site. AK-47.net: AK Receivers Generally though the milled receivers will be more expensive. The only thing I have been told to stay away from is welded receivers the riveted ones are generally fine.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

+1 on the ak47.net link.

My knowledge is limited and fallible, but I'll share what little bit I've accumulated.

Like the old adage goes, when it comes to survival "two is one and one is none." Therefore, if I had less than a grand to drop into an AK purchase I would rather have two decent quality AKs than one "high end" rifle. If this is just a "range rifle" that probably wont be a concern for you. But if it's a WTSHTF kind of purchase, I'd look at the good quality, low price range Romanian rifles. They are available "new" (from a retail site like clasicarms.us, etc) for less than $400 each.

The better thing to do IMO is keep a close eye on the Equipment Exchange at ar15.com and the "for sale" forums on other rifle boards. It's been my experience that deals come up fairly regularly on really well-built rifles that have already been customized, accessorized, and "honed in" by their former owners. Lots of times they will come with aftermarket rails installed, upgraded polymer furniture, multiple mags, and even mid-range red dots or light systems; all for about the price you'd pay for a low-range AK at retail or even at a gun show.

The sellers are usually folks who have been bitten by the AR bug and decide to part with their beloved and babied AK in order to fund the purchase of a $2000 black rifle package. This can work to your advantage.

As for milled vs. stamped, there's obviously a big jump in quality of manufacture if you mill something from one solid block of metal as opposed to bend and rivet it together out of a sheet of metal, but I have never noticed a difference in quality of actual shooting. There is a huge jump in price from stamped to milled though. Again, I find myself repeating "two is one, and one is none."

Good luck bud - do as much reading as you can and only ask questions to people who arent trying to sell you something!

Quote Originally Posted by joleary223 View Post
    You will find a lot of information on this site. AK-47.net: AK Receivers Generally though the milled receivers will be more expensive. The only thing I have been told to stay away from is welded receivers the riveted ones are generally fine.
    Thanks for the AK link...

Pretty much the same, and a few thoughts.

WASRs aren't bad, as long as you recognize that you may have to put some work into the fit and finish to make it more user-friendly (Dremelling down sharp edges on the safety & gas tube levers, possibly on the edges of the top cover). If you look at a WASR, check for a canted front sight (you can put a little 1" pocket level on top of the rear sight body to level the rifle, then eyeball the front assembly), and look at the trigger- most new WASRs have the Tapco G2, and it will have "G2" stamped on it. Absolutely the best service rifle trigger out, at the moment. If it has a "C" it's an older Century-made product, which can be good, but more prone to trigger slap.

Arsenal and Vector are generally good, though reports of declining Aresenal quality are popping up. Just closely examine any AK for the front sight block cant and trigger.

If you see screws, pass on it. If someone mentions "UDrive" or "homebuilt", pass on it. I've built two, and have implicit confidence in the fit and finish of my work. I would not sell them however. Unfortunately Bubba's build in his garage is probably not as good as Achmed's in Afghanistan simply because Bubba thinks he can, and Achmed probably learned his trade from his father, grandfather, etc.. Tech can't always make up for talent.

Price is pretty much the deciding factor. For $300-400, its probably going to be a WASR. For $500-700, Arsenal or Vector. $600-800 generally for a nice milled receiver. Here's a link to the Firing Line, so you can see the obvious difference:MLS99 - US Made Milled AK Receivers

The marks in the sides are lightening cuts, not "mag dimples". Mag dimples actually help position the mag in stamped guns. The milled receiver mimicks them to reduce weight.

I wouldn't pay for a gun with a Tapco or similar folding stock. If you want a truck gun/user carbine, they just aren't up to long-term hard use. Ace Riflestocks are the best US made skeleton or folding stock, but pricey. A Romanian wire folder is excellent and reasonable, just watch your parts count (the wood on a WASR is Romanian already, so it's a neutral change, but to be "safe"...)

thanks for the links and advic3e everybody.
    i have seen some really good deals on quality AKs on different forums where the seller wanted to fund some new black rifle deal.
    sometimes i didn't have the money and sometimes they were too far away for me to do a hands on examination.
    im going to be careful and get a quality AK because it is for WTSHTF planning.
    after that im going to start stocking 7.62x39 ammo.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Links