AK Assistance- Arsenal or Krebs

This is a discussion on AK Assistance- Arsenal or Krebs within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In looking at what my first AK purchase should be its been an interesting road. A combination of technical information, eastern bloc geography, new calibers ...

Thread: AK Assistance- Arsenal or Krebs

In looking at what my first AK purchase should be its been an interesting road. A combination of technical information, eastern bloc geography, new calibers and import laws all rolled into one. Since I already have an AR I thought I had a head start but not so.
    Anyway, I think I have it narrowed down to a couple alternatives. I can purchase a new Arsenal SLR 107 FR in the upper $700 range. The other choice is a Saiga conversion done by Krebs Custom. Lots of choices here but I could get an AK 103 carbine for right at $900 - so figure about $100 more. I realize its not an apple to apple comparison. I also know that once I get one I will look to add some features such as a sight rail, etc. So with that in mind and your experience what direction should I go given I don't mind spending the extra $100 - a Krebs Saiga AK or the Arsenal?

VIP Member
    Arsenal has a great reputation, I don't know about Krebs.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

If you can inspect it before purchasing, the 107FR is a good choice. Do some research on the 107FR canted front sight block issue. If you buy unseen, be aware that there is a chance you'll be sending it back to them on day 1.

If you're going to drop that kind of money, check out Jim Fuller's builds RIFLE DYNAMICS - Tools and Training for the Professional Warrior

A bunch of guys on Warrior Talk and GetOffTheX have his builds and speak very highly of them.

You'll probably spend about the same amount (maybe less) and get a better gun.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Just goes to show ya--things change. Don't know much about Krebs myself, but have heard many positives. Arsenal is good, I have one--SLR-95--milled receiver. I got a parts kit through K-Var or globaltrades.com. Anything's good to go

Administrator
    Arsenal! Its one of the best AK's out there, and IMO, its a better investment.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'll have to dissent with Sixto on this one. Some new purchasers on barf.com are reporting canted sights & rough assembly with newer Arsenals, now. Not many, but even 6 from a typically respected maker in a short time is concerning. I'd second kenpo- Jim Fuller knows his stuff, and does a 300 round QC with each rifle before it leaves his shop. Krebs has been the benchmark for a long time. Basically, Rifle Dynamics or Krebs would be my choice.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    I'll have to dissent with Sixto on this one. Some new purchasers on barf.com are reporting canted sights & rough assembly with newer Arsenals, now. Not many, but even 6 from a typically respected maker in a short time is concerning. I'd second kenpo- Jim Fuller knows his stuff, and does a 300 round QC with each rifle before it leaves his shop. Krebs has been the benchmark for a long time. Basically, Rifle Dynamics or Krebs would be my choice.

Thats OK, I dont disagree with your position, its just that looking at it dollar for dollar, I think the Arsenal is the better buy.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Gents......... very helpful feedback. I have a exchanged emails with Jim Fuller and we will be talking later today. Your recommendations on Rifle Dynamics and Jim personally are appreciated. I am going to keep Krebs and Arsenal in the mix until I can find out details on a build by Jim. My trusted local gun store has a few of the Arsenal SLR 107's in, so I am okay for now if the immediate gratification gun fairy swoops in. Will keep you posted and let you know when I pull the "purchase" trigger!

Quote Originally Posted by JrHawk View Post
    My trusted local gun store has a few of the Arsenal SLR 107's in, so I am okay for now if the immediate gratification gun fairy swoops in. Will keep you posted and let you know when I pull the "purchase" trigger!
    Arsenal has been premium, some folks are wondering if they have kicked up production to try and rake it in before November. If you can handle it, and know what you're looking for, I wouldn't have any reservations.

Well..... I started this post by asking if I should go Arsenal or Krebs. Guess what? Based on your input and several conversations back and forth with Krebs and Rifle Dynamics, I went forward on a new AKM sidefolder build with Rifle Dynamic. All three choices were good ones and any of the three rifles would have done the job. Jim Fuller tipped the scales for me. Knowledgeable, responsive, patient with my "newbie" questions and a good guy to boot. So the six month wait begins..... I will follow up with pictures and a range report in the fall. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links