7.62 NATO, Semi-Auto, "sniper" rifle

This is a discussion on 7.62 NATO, Semi-Auto, "sniper" rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here's what I'm looking for: - A semi-auto rifle, chambered for 7.62 NATO, that won't choke on .308 Winchester ammo - Needs to accept 20 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7.62 NATO, Semi-Auto, "sniper" rifle

Here's what I'm looking for:

- A semi-auto rifle, chambered for 7.62 NATO, that won't choke on .308 Winchester ammo
    - Needs to accept 20 round magazines, & have 5 round magazines available
    - I want to be able to have excellent accuracy out to at least 600 meters
    - It has to be able to take down deer-sized animals at that same distance (assuming I am good enough to hit them, of course )
    - I need to be able to mount a scope that will allow me to be precise out to at least 600 meters
    - It can't cost an arm and a leg...

I'm fairly new to the ins and outs of 7.62 / .308 rifles, so don't assume I know anything about anything. Having said that, I grew up hunting with my Dad, some of which was deer hunting. I used a semi-auto 308 Winchester for the few years that I hunted deer, so while I'm not a complete noob, please feel free to pretend I am...

Any and all suggestions will be much appreciated!
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

JD
    Administrator
    You want a Springfield M1A variant, I'd go loaded or National Match, and a damn good scope.

The M1A does have 5rd, 10rd, 20, and 30rd mags available.

Either what JD said, or maybe a DPMS AR10. don't know of anything that fits the bill that isn't a bit pricey, but you didn't specify whose arm or leg. (some are worth more than others)
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    How about a FAL/FN?

There is also the AIA Lee Enfield clone made new in 7.62, although it is bolt action.

+1 on JD's suggestion, I've been eyeing up a Springfield M1A for quite awhile and as soon as I am able to free up some spare change it'll be on my shopping list.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."

-- Robert A. Heinlein

Senior Moderator
    The cheapest would be one of the HK 91 clones,or even a Cetme around 400-500 bucks.

Last time I bought 20 round mags, they were 3 dollars apiece.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I would say either an M1A or an AR10 either bushmaster or armalite,the armalite uses m14 mags but unless they have the armalite follower won't bolt lock last round,Bushmaster may use the M14 mags too,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

BAC
    Well heck, I was gonna say an Mk 11 Mod 0 (or, failing that, a plain SR-25 to build up yourself into an Mk 11 Mod 0) until I read that annoying "can't cost an arm and a leg" requirement.

On a more serious note, I think an AR-10 of some kind will be your best bet. My own limited experience with M1As leads me to believe you have to put quite a bit of money into them for them to be as accurate as an AR (three different rifles giving me this impression), but your mileage may vary. There are a lot more options for building-up/customizing an AR-10 than there is for virtually any other semi-automatic 7.62 caliber rifle.

-B

Anyone know if a suppressor will fit on any of the Springfields?
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dang.45 View Post
    Anyone know if a suppressor will fit on any of the Springfields?
    Yep. I guess that isn't for the 600m shots though?

Quote Originally Posted by dang.45 View Post
    - It can't cost an arm and a leg...
    I don't know your definition of arm and a leg, but for my money an M1A with optics specified and a silencer is past that line by a bit.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Yep. I guess that isn't for the 600m shots though?

I don't know your definition of arm and a leg, but for my money an M1A with optics specified and a silencer is past that line by a bit.
    You are right, the suppressor wasn't for 600m shots. And, its all academic now anyway since I just learned that suppressors aren't legal in MN (where I'll be moving in August). Good to know they'll work though, should the law ever change.

I realized that my definition of "an arm and a leg" was a bit vague - as in totally lacking! - so here is something more to work with -

I brought up the Springfield because I'm considering a Loaded, National Match, or Scout-Squad. The Scout-Squad has had my attention for a while, and I know it can be had for ~$1,550, so that is definitely not either an arm or a leg. The loaded would be affordable as well, with National Match approaching either the arm or the leg, but not both. I'm also only considering the initial cost of the gun itself, not the optics and whatever other accessories I may deem necessary.

I know the Scout-Squad doesn't really fit the bill for my stated criteria, but I may decide to go with it, then save up to put together a true, long-range 'sniper' type rifle. I don't currently have anything suitable for deer, and while the rifle I originally described is definitely something I want, I consider a quality semi-auto deer rifle to be something I need. Obviously this is based solely on my own standards of want vs. need...

As long as I've brought up the Scout-Squad, does anyone have any experience with how accurate it can be at distances (well) beyond 300m? Are shots that long more dependant upon the ammo than the gun? Again, I'm assuming I'll be 'the weakest link' in the accuracy chain - I just want to know what the rifle is capable of before spending any money on one.

Just a quick FYI, where I live you can only have a specific amount of ammunition for deer hunting. No 20rd mags and the likes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    Just a quick FYI, where I live you can only have a specific amount of ammunition for deer hunting. No 20rd mags and the likes.
    Same for me - 5 rounds. While deer hunting will hopefully be the only use I'll ever have for it on anything breathing, I want something for that low-probability SHTF scenario too...

Thanks for bringing it up though, as someone who is reading this might not already know it.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    You want a Springfield M1A variant, I'd go loaded or National Match, and a damn good scope.

The M1A does have 5rd, 10rd, 20, and 30rd mags available.
    That is pretty much my thought. While on the topic is rebuilding an M 14 an option? Or is it cost prohibitive?
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    That is pretty much my thought. While on the topic is rebuilding an M 14 an option? Or is it cost prohibitive?
    The thought has never crossed my mind, so I don't know if it is cost prohibitive. I'm sure there is a reason why you asked - what is the benefit of re-building an M14? I have no idea why that would be a good thing, and I'm eager to learn...

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links