Optics choices for Springfield "Scout-Squad"

This is a discussion on Optics choices for Springfield "Scout-Squad" within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There seems to be fairly wide-ranging agreement that the Springfield "Scout-Squad" rifle is pretty darned nice as an all-around weapon. My question is, with the ...

Thread: Optics choices for Springfield "Scout-Squad"

There seems to be fairly wide-ranging agreement that the Springfield "Scout-Squad" rifle is pretty darned nice as an all-around weapon. My question is, with the forward-mounted rail as a sight base, are there any practical limitations on what kinds of optics that can be used? I'm thinking about getting one, and I'm 95% sure I won't know what kind of scope / optic to put on it before I pick it up, and 100% sure I won't have the money to get it even if I do know what I want! I'd just like to know what my limitations are, if any...

The most frequent use will be for deer / medium-sized game hunting, with a secondary purpose of being able to "reach out and touch someone" beyond the range of my 5.56N m4gery. My goal is to be able to accurately hit whatever I'm aiming at out to at least 300 meters, preferably beyond. Basically, I want to ensure that I am the limiting factor in taking a deer cleanly out to at least 300 meters, not the gun or my choice of optics...

Thanks for any & all input!
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

I would think an Aimpoint with a 2 MOA dot would be just right for a scout type rail. My understanding with the forward mounted magnified scopes is that the field of view is tiny. Just my two cents.

Austin

Where do you shoot deer out to 300 meters ?
    U.S. Army retired
    18F4VW9

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    Where do you shoot deer out to 300 meters ?
    It is unlikely I'd ever even try to take a deer at or beyond 300 meters. The Scout is simply my choice of both deer hunting / SHTF weapon, and as such I want to set it up to be as versatile as possible. Also, I very much enjoy the pure skill of longer-distance target shooting. I plan on eventually getting some type of bolt gun for any true long distance practical shooting, but until then, the Scout will be my one-and-only 7.62N/.308, and I'd like it to be able to do a bit of everything.

And to answer your question directly, the most frequent deer hunting area for me is central WI, and while it isn't extremely common, there are plenty of wide-open, empty corn fields in November where I could take a shot of 300 meters or more. I just know that I likely won't, at least not with the Scout.
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

It was a fair question. I've never been too impressed with most of the hunters that I personally know. They do not have any concept of long range shooting, yet they use the most expensive scope they can afford. Most or all of their kills are shots from a tree stand within 75 meters. (Insert wanker emoticon)

As for scopes, an Aimpoint is only good for CCO type work, which if fine, but you want to reach out further, then my vote goes to the Pride Fowler scopes with the BDC reticle or a Nightforce NXS.

Just my .02
    U.S. Army retired
    18F4VW9

It was a fair question. I've never been too impressed with most of the hunters that I personally know. They do not have any concept of long range shooting, yet they use the most expensive scope they can afford. Most or all of their kills are shots from a tree stand within 75 meters. (Insert wanker emoticon)

As for scopes, an Aimpoint is only good for CCO type work, which if fine, but you want to reach out further, then my vote goes to the Pride Fowler scopes with the BDC reticle or a Nightforce NXS.

Just my .02
    I hope I didn't give the impression I thought it was an unfair question. I've met more than a few hunters I'd also consider wankers, so I take great care to do what I can to ensure I separate myself from them.

Like I said, this is going to be my all-around, medium-bore rifle, for fun, hunting, SHTF, etc. As such, it is going to be a compromise in many areas, and I'm just looking for what I guess I'd consider to be the "best compromise" I can get for an optic.

Truth be told, most of the hunting I've done has been in the woods, where a 50-100 yard shot is about as far as is even possible.

I've gotta ask - what does "CCO type work" stand for?

Thanks for the other suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by dang.45 View Post
    I hope I didn't give the impression I thought it was an unfair question. I've met more than a few hunters I'd also consider wankers, so I take great care to do what I can to ensure I separate myself from them.

Like I said, this is going to be my all-around, medium-bore rifle, for fun, hunting, SHTF, etc. As such, it is going to be a compromise in many areas, and I'm just looking for what I guess I'd consider to be the "best compromise" I can get for an optic.

Truth be told, most of the hunting I've done has been in the woods, where a 50-100 yard shot is about as far as is even possible.

I've gotta ask - what does "CCO type work" stand for?

Thanks for the other suggestions!

First, I'd just clarify that I'm not labeling all hunters, only those that I know and those that I do know don't know squidly about shooting. Give me a military trained scout sniper or SOTIC instructor and I'll show you a guy that can hit a dime out to 100 meters with an old bolt action Marlin .22Lr all day long. Same technique applies to larger caliber shooting.

CCO is for "Close Combat Optic" Which the Aimpoint CompM series ad the EOtech hollowgraphics are used for. I suppose if one is good enough they can touch out to 200 meters accounting for bullet drop but an ACOG (Advanced Combat Optic Gunsight) would be a better choice in this scenario.

I like a MIl-DOT reticle BDC type (Bullet Drop Comensator) Hence the reason I like the Pride Fowler or the Nighforce NXS series for longer range shooting.

I'd stick with a rifle that has a 1913 rail system. You can change out your optics as needed with mounts with a throw lever such as the LaRue Tactical mounts, American Defense Manufacturing, or A.R.M.S.

I'd personally just skip right to LaRue Tactical for anything you want to run on your rifle.

LaRue Tactical
    U.S. Army retired
    18F4VW9

Give me a military trained scout sniper or SOTIC instructor and I'll show you a guy that can hit a dime out to 100 meters with an old bolt action Marlin .22Lr all day long. Same technique applies to larger caliber shooting.

While I don't know about hitting a dime at 100 meters with a Marlin .22, I do know that the basic rifle qualification for USMC involves shots of 500 yards with M16A2 with iron sights on a man sized (20" wide by 40" tall, including the head) target from prone position. I wasn't a scout sniper or SOTIC instructor but I averaged 8 out of 10 hits at 500 yards, usually COM. 300 meters on a deer-sized target wouldnt be much of a problem, IMO. Although you do have to account for "buck fever"
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    While I don't know about hitting a dime at 100 meters with a Marlin .22, I do know that the basic rifle qualification for USMC involves shots of 500 yards with M16A2 with iron sights on a man sized (20" wide by 40" tall, including the head) target from prone position. I wasn't a scout sniper or SOTIC instructor but I averaged 8 out of 10 hits at 500 yards, usually COM. 300 meters on a deer-sized target wouldnt be much of a problem, IMO. Although you do have to account for "buck fever"
    Actually you'll find that SOTIC students use the .22Lr bolt gun an awful lot during training. Air rifles are also good for dialing up your proficiency.

I shoot a Marlin bolt gun .22Lr an awful lot. Same techiques apply to larger caliber bolt guns, just more recoil.
    U.S. Army retired
    18F4VW9

Sponsored Links