I'm not sure I like this

This is a discussion on I'm not sure I like this within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently went to go price a Mossberg Persuader at a couple of retail stores just for kicks. I figure I should get one at ...

Thread: I'm not sure I like this

I'm not sure I like this

I recently went to go price a Mossberg Persuader at a couple of retail stores just for kicks. I figure I should get one at some point because I'm familiar with the Mossberg platform. The Persuader is built on a Mossberg 500, okay?

And lo and behold, they've replaced it with the version built on their Maverick line. I understand that value wise, these are still good shotguns, but that somewhat disconcerts me. Are they phasing out the special purpose/police/camp guns built on the 500 action in favor of the cheaper Mavericks? The sporting versions of the Mossberg 500 were tottally gone from one store. I don't know if they were out or if they just don't carry it any more but that ain't right.

I mean really, it kind of rattles my cage a little when the classic Mossberg 500 becomes a special order.

Sigh, am I going to have to switch to the 1300 or the 870...?

2. Remove Ads

Maybe there just out ive seen a lot of the 500's here lately

Lead Moderator
    pobably a money saving move. Too bad, the 500 is a great gun. The maverick is ok, but just not built as well.

Assistant Administrator
    That is not good news - I had all but placed the 500 series as the ''ever more produced'' type guns. ''Special order'' - sheesh what a crock!

However - do in fact consider an 870 - I was lucky enough to get mine from a local guy and it is a superb shottie - this one being fairly short and nice to heft - it sees considerable duty as HD cum office.

My 500C I like a lot but tho I have converted it to synthetic stock have left barrel long so - not as yet a real HD gun.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Well I'm glad to see it looks like I'm overreacting. The 500 and 870 are somewhere in the top 5 guns you must sell if you're going to even bother to sell guns list.

I'm sure the Maverick is good, and I'm not knocking the Remington, but man I've had a Mossberg 500 since I was like 14 years old. I'm just used to it by now. I'd hate to see it kicked to the curb.

I am kind of worried Mossberg might destroy their own gun though. The Maverick line probably seems like it's the same thing but cheaper to the Great Unwashed Masses and well, it's not.

Assistant Administrator
    One thing tho Euc - with all the multi thousands of 500's made - sure as heck you'd be able to find a good used one - for years to come.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Also ment to say the lockal shop had say 5 Persuader's one the marine varity

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    I am kind of worried Mossberg might destroy their own gun though. The Maverick line probably seems like it's the same thing but cheaper to the Great Unwashed Masses and well, it's not.
    Pretty much what HK has done with the UMP/SL8, and to some extent, the USP line; phasing out the 90 Series and P7's. Maybe "designed in the 50's", but a 91 will be clocking along ages after the SL8 is seperated at the magwell. Stick to your guns - get the stamped "Mossberg". (although my personal favorite action is the Win 1300 )

Ive owned a 870, it was a great shotgun. I switched to the 1300, which is just as nice. But the 1300 has a faster pump speed. My main reason for the switch was that the 1300 had a rifled barrel, taped for a scope. I don't have much experience with Mossberg, but something about them turned me off. I really dont know what it was . Probably that it was the low sticker price that made me suspicious. I hunted in rough country, and counted on a tough firearm.

That's when I only used a shotgun for big game hunting. Now that there is inline muzzys, and Triple-Seven propellant. My shotgun is for home defence (although my 1300 still needs tinkering to be a true HD shotgun).

Anyhow, I vote for the 1300 and the 870. I really like the speed of the 1300. Here is a link about the speedpump:speed pump link The 870 served me faithfully through Manny seasons, and is still doing great for my cousin. (Who just finished jump school, and is about to go into the Ranger Indoctrination Program. Im proud of the lil snot bag ).

I happen to like the 1300 just fine actually. But thinking about it, I realize the value of having two receivers that are the same that can share parts and barrels.

It's true the 500 is kind of cheap next to the 870, but really I think the 590 may be the thing to really compare to the 870.

I think the only reason the Mossberg and Winchester never caught on with police is that they needs a degree of maintenance. Even the Winchester 97 all these guns are patterned after needed field maintenance to insure it would function. The 870 seems more likely to keep going when the gun is never cleaned from the moment it comes out of the box to the moment it gets sold off as a police trade in.

I figure that's probably what happens to most police shotguns, since a police shotgun is everyone's gun and nobody's gun. Who wants to take the time to clean a gun that's not even theirs most of the time?

FYI: The 1300 uses a manual version of the Benelli inertial-recoil system. I've used (and like) all three. Bottom line:
    1) Mossberg advantage- Tang mounted, ambi-saftey.
    2)Winchester- smoother and faster cycling, out of the box.
    3) Remington- excellent customer support; most readily available after-market mods; smooth, with break-in.

I haven't tried a Mossy "Jungle Gun", but I'm really curious. It's a beast to heft, and if your ram cracked, it could easily replace it with the JG, in breaching , but I'm dying to know about it's using performance........

Links