LMT or Noveske

This is a discussion on LMT or Noveske within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If money is no object which would you choose: a LMT or Noveske rifle? What influences your decision other than just personal preference? Are there ...

Thread: LMT or Noveske

LMT or Noveske

If money is no object which would you choose: a LMT or Noveske rifle? What influences your decision other than just personal preference? Are there any must haves, i.e. the "sopomod" stock or steel barrel vs. chrome?

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

BAC
    If money's no object get the best and most out of a rifle you can get. LMT has access to the TDP, and as such build to-spec and arguably above-spec rifles. Noveske doesn't have access to the TDP, but they have simply worked around that by building the best rifle they can and I doubt any rifle they build is below-spec in any area. One of the better tests is of their Project Leonidas, which exceeds the round count normal ARs are supposed to be capable of achieving before some sort of malfunction, reaching the end of the test without failure. Keeping in mind that you pay quite a bit for that (double that of an LMT), and that you said money is no issue, I'd be inclined to choose the Noveske.

And they have a cooler roll mark. And John and Sheri are awesome.

-B

I'd have to agree with BAC on this issue.

Buying Noveske is like buying Mercedes where LMT is like buying Toyota. You know it's built it to run, to last, and take punishment. It's specs are tight and you don't have ever second guess your purchase with LMT.

I have an Novseke barrel torqued into an older RRA upper with a LaRue 9" rail system. $400+ for a barrel is steep, but I know it's going to hold 1/2 MOA @100 meters all day long off the bench.

Personally I'd go with an LMT MRP upper and their Defender lower. Trick it out the way you want it and never look back.

If you want the Mercedes, then buy the Noveske.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

I would go with Noveske as well. (I'm proof of that)

For must haves, a lot is personal preference. I would get either the SOPMOD stock or the EMOD. If you're buying a Noveske the EMOD is a $25 upgrade from the standard stock, and well worth it.

It all depends on what you want though. Both are great companies IMO. Have fun and good luck!

Austin

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I have to go with the Noveske as well. I have an N4 that is absolutely the b*$%h kitty! One of the guys in my group has both an N4 and an LMT. I got to wring both out before buying and decided on the Noveske.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    I would go with Noveske as well. (I'm proof of that)

For must haves, a lot is personal preference. I would get either the SOPMOD stock or the EMOD. If you're buying a Noveske the EMOD is a $25 upgrade from the standard stock, and well worth it.

It all depends on what you want though. Both are great companies IMO. Have fun and good luck!

Austin
    I'm now a big advocate of the Vltor EMOD stock over the SOPMOD. Noveske recognized this as well.

I like both stocks, but If I've got a choice, the EMOD is going to get my purchase or choice in the matter.

John makes the best rifles, possibly, on the planet. LMT is probably the best MIL-SPEC rifle going.

So, if you want to really drive a coupe Mercedes, then go with Noveske. If you want the MIL-SPEC then my vote goes hands down to LMT.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

BAC
    For clarification, remember that "mil-spec" is a baseline for what the federal agencies (read: military) are willing to accept. Colt gets a lot of critical review because while it makes rifles TO spec, it does not go out of its way to make rifles ABOVE spec. LMT certainly meets the TDP, and is often considered slightly above it. Noveske simply exceeds the baseline specs (by far), to compensate for its lack of access to the TDP. Just remember, that's what you're paying for.

And now that the N4 Light Recce is out...

-B

Sorry to be crass, but if I could get the high end of the price estimate of LMT vs Noveske. On the noveske website of the N4 Light Recce Basic with VIS runs around $2100 w/o other modifications, tax or shipping.

However I was just at my dealer today pricing basic LMT models and they were asking approximately 1800. Am I missing something here? Am I just encountering bare bone models. Is this LMT overpriced? I was under the impression the Noveske would be considerably more than most LMT models. What gives?

LMTs most expensive lower is a little over $500 bucks. That's with the SOPMOD stock ($200+ right there), a two stage trigger, etc.. The normal ones are around $350.

Their upper receivers are under $500 in most cases - not including handguards ($40) or BCG ($125). Add it up and the gun is around $1000 without a rear sight, so call it $1100. Either your dealer is crazy or you're looking at the MRP - the upper for rifle length is ~$1300 and the upper in carbine length is ~$1100 - that's a big price jump.

The base model Noveske N4 is around $1400, and the base model LMT carbines are around $1100 - so there is a big price difference (percentage wise) between the two. Once you start into the monolithic rails and stuff, the difference isn't so much.

Just my two cents. Of course you can check it all out at lewismachine.net

Austin

Links