Can anyone point me in the right direction

This is a discussion on Can anyone point me in the right direction within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Guys... I'm looking for a .223 or 5.56mm rifle with a detachable mag and iron sites. I'd like to add an optic at some point. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone point me in the right direction

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar

Can anyone point me in the right direction

Guys...

I'm looking for a .223 or 5.56mm rifle with a detachable mag and iron sites. I'd like to add an optic at some point.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should start this quest?

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

2. Remove Ads

How much ya wanna Spend?

You can go AR-15 But $$$

I reccommend Bushmaster thats what i have

Or a Mini 14 not as expensive Can add a optic i think No real Exp with these only held one

Then i think they make a SAR-1 copy of a AK -47 that is in 223

Also i think a Sagia will come in 223

Other than that unless you want a Bolt gun you pretty much stuck that i know of

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    What will you be using the weapon for (application)????????????????????------

Bud,

I wouldn't be opposed to a bolt. I'm trying to keep the cost somewhere south of $300, although less then 200 would be absolutely wonderful.

Applications wise? I think a .22Lr might be better for this actual application, so I might get one of them instead, but... I've never really fired much rifle before, and would like to at least learn how to do it.

I'm looking to get an AR-15 after I graduate in May, and was trying to get the current rifle so I could have some ammo compatibilty, but I guess a .22LR would work to, as a I have a .22 pistol.

--Jim

Firefighter,

Being a cheap ******* I too have searched for some way to use .223/5.56 NATO in a platform that doesn't cost so darn much as an AR15.

The Saiga rifle would be an acceptable alternative, but I won't touch them or try to find one until they're importable again and that will probably be like never. The Mini 14 just might get close to your requirements, and I honestly like the design of the Mini 14, I just don't like the issues it has.

The short version is, it just doesn't exist outside of some wonderful deal that I'm sure someone somewhere got on a rifle that should have cost a lot more.

Avoid the AKs in .223 because magazine availability is a problem, plus I've heard from a former owner I personally know that the platform is just prone to malfunction in that caliber.

Bro, break down and get the SKS. Honestly. It's about the only game in town at that price bracket for what you want.

Well for your price range your looking more towards a Sar in 223 or a used mini 14 if your gonna get a AR-15 i would just hold off if your not needing it for anything spiecal ..

In a 22 i recommend a 10/22 Ruger

Assistant Administrator
    Jim, even a Marlin 60 from WallyWorld for what? - $120 these days - won't break the bank and it'll give a huge amount of cheap grinning - plus get you well into the techniques of rifle shooting.

That or the 10/22 will both take a scope easily when and if desired.

I have a Ruger 77 MkII in 223 but that even used was way up above your budget so, do the 22lr rifle trip for now - then you'll always have one even when you have your Bushy
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Wait a sec... I reread that.

Man if you don't have a .22, get a .22 caliber rifle. I saw a Marlin 60 for like $75 here the other day. If I didn't already have one...

It's true there's not a .22 that's going to handle like a battle rifle, but it's a great way to practice the basic platform, plus, they're so much fun. You can't help but grin when you have a .22 caliber rifle and a whopping $7 worth of ammunition.

Even when you're broke and you think you might not get to practice very much that month, break out the old .22 and plink away. If circumstances permitted I'd shoot a brick of .22 every weekend. I believe if someone did this, they'd become a very respectable shot in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Wait a sec... I reread that.

Man if you don't have a .22, get a .22 caliber rifle. I saw a Marlin 60 for like $75 here the other day. If I didn't already have one...

It's true there's not a .22 that's going to handle like a battle rifle, but it's a great way to practice the basic platform, plus, they're so much fun. You can't help but grin when you have a .22 caliber rifle and a whopping $7 worth of ammunition.

Even when you're broke and you think you might not get to practice very much that month, break out the old .22 and plink away. If circumstances permitted I'd shoot a brick of .22 every weekend. I believe if someone did this, they'd become a very respectable shot in a hurry.

Your right when i was laid off 2 years ago i was shooting almost a Brick a day of 22's though my Ruger Mark II handgun I cant tell ya how much it impreoved my Trigger control and my Shooting in General.

Used to have to warm up for a few mags then could start grouping now right out the holster/bag im dead on it really helped me course most people dont have time to shoot a brick a day for 2-3weeks

OK....

in that case, lets got with the .22LR... suggestions? I'm definately thinking a 10/22 here. Any other suggestions?

--Jim

Assistant Administrator
    Jim - if you don't mind a 15 round tube mag then do also consider a Marlin 60 - great value rifle IMO even if you have to buy new from WallyWorld.

Chris - P95

Chris... I live in NJ... they dont' sell firearms or ammo at WallyWorld..

--jim

Assistant Administrator
    Sorry Jim - had not even remembered that (sad) fact.

You might tho find one on Gunbroker as well as a 10/22 - maybe even one might come up on one of the forums - check THR and do a search just in case, tho most folks buy these and keep 'em.

Anyways - whichever - you will be all but guaranteed some very handy, and cheap rifle practice - mostly known as ''grin plinking''
    Chris - P95

I have both the Marlin AND the 10/22. I've only put about 500 rounds through the 10/22.

When it comes to outright accuracy and raw performance, I have to give the nod to my Marlin because it is the more accurate of the two. It shoots straighter and groups tighter. Also, it seems complete as is. Nothing else to buy.

Now my Ruger I have to admit is a heck of a lot more fun and for some reason I find it easier to take down. It's not as accurate and for some reason I consistently shoot high with it, which I am working on, but I can see why people like the Ruger for actual use because just handles so well. While I like the slim profile the rotary magazine provides, I find the magazines a little awkward to change out in a hurry. The extended capacity aftermarket magazines work well and are much easier to handle by virtue of their size, but they make it kind of hard to handle and it makes using a support tricky. The other downside is I keep wanting to do stuff to this rifle or add to it.

You can't go wrong with either.

how about savage arms? oh well... i guess it comes down to i want a sythetic stock and a stainless steel barrel...

--Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links