Range Report: DPMS LRT-SASS (lots of pics, dial-up beware)

This is a discussion on Range Report: DPMS LRT-SASS (lots of pics, dial-up beware) within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Overall Impressions: I'm still drooling on myself. I was finally able this weekend to get out and shoot this rifle with glass on it. Right ...

Thread: Range Report: DPMS LRT-SASS (lots of pics, dial-up beware)

Overall Impressions: I'm still drooling on myself.

I was finally able this weekend to get out and shoot this rifle with glass on it. Right now my setup is: DPMS LRT-SASS, La Rue Tactical Mount (the one for AR10's), and the SWFA Super Sniper fixed 10x scope.

Right now my only gripe is that the scope is a little further back than I'd like. I may have to take the flip-up sights off to get it where I want because the La Rue mount doesn't seem to want to lock over the ring that holds the handguards on. Still, it was very comfortable to shoot and the mount/scope are both amazing products that I would recommend.

That's what it all looks like and all shooting was done at 100 yards off the bipod only. Ammo used was Prvi Partisan 147gr .308 ammo.

In the break-in of the barrel I've had 2 stovepipes. Everything else has fed well. Probably around 65 rounds through the rifle at this point and both of the stovepipes were early on (last 40 rounds or so flawless). The rifle is very tight, so I'm attributing it to the break-in process. It's still a struggle to get it apart to clean it, although it's getting easier.

Accuracy is very good. I shot my first sub-MOA group yesterday and I'm still walking around with smiles about it. This 3-shot group measured .410" at 100 yards. It's currently hanging in my office at home. :) And yes, the black stickers were on there before.

So, for shooting fairly cheap Croatian ammo, I'm pretty freaking happy with that group. I can't wait to see how she does once I start handloading for it.

Cons: The plastic case that the rifle comes with is somewhat flimsy and doesn't have enough room for the rifle with a scope mounted. That's pretty annoying and for how much the system costs I would think they'd catch something like that.

I cut myself on the flash suppressor/compensator on the barrel.

It weighs a good amount with a scope, mount, and a full mag.

That's literally all I can think of.

PROs: Accurate. High capacity Mags. Very low recoil. Handles well. Shoots well. Bipod is solid. Makes other gun owners jealous. Super Evil Black rifle.

So, in summary, I would recommend you buy this if you have the pennies and want one. I couldn't be happier with mine!
    Last edited by SammyIamToday; April 29th, 2008 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Re-sized pics for better viewing
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Very Nice.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    What..........you can't do that standing up and shooting freehand.....me neither.......great pics
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

That is a very nice looking EVIL rifle.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member
    Thanks, Sammy - it's definitely on the short list. Heck, it is the short list, now!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

One more con I'd like to add. The sling that comes with the rifle is crap. I can't even figure out how to use the freaking thing and there's nothing in the manual on it.

Other than those few small things though, it's an amazing package.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Thanks for the report. I may have to pick one of these up.
    I was looking for a rifle with a bigger punch and the only thing that impressed me was the Springfield M1A until now...
    Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeros everywhere... and I thought I saw a two.

Links