Shotgun Barrels ???

Shotgun Barrels ???

This is a discussion on Shotgun Barrels ??? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok I am looking to get a new barrel for my new shotgun for shooting clays and maybe hunting a few birds, maybe a few ...

Thread: Shotgun Barrels ???

Shotgun Barrels ???

Ok I am looking to get a new barrel for my new shotgun for shooting clays and maybe hunting a few birds, maybe a few squirrel, but mostly the clays and birds together... What do I need? I have no comprehension of chokes, length, etc.

Senior Moderator
    What shotgun?
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

something with a 28 or 30" barrel modified choke,most shotguns manufactured today come with screw in choke tubes so you can select the choke for type of shooting,the tighter the choke the longer the shot pattern stays together before it opens up,Full choke is tightest then modified then improved cylinder,they have a few exotic chokes for special hunting like turkey chokes and others.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Its a Mossberg 500.

Thanks dukalmighty. I had no idea how chokes worked. I appriciate it.

Senior Moderator
    I would get a 18.5" cylinder bore and a 28" multi choke barrel.

Find a sporting clay club and ask if you can shoot, you'll get so much advice your head will spin
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I figured I'd get that here pgrass lol. I am new, so thought I would look and see what I ame up with. Congrats on the boy!!!!!! Just saw that he is walking. That's great!

Senior Moderator
    To find out what chokes you need you need to shoot.

To be a good wing shooter you need to learn from one. I grew up duck hunting and we shot clays all summer getting ready for Duck season.

I like Modified the best followed by improved. It depends on what I am shooting, not just the target (clay, dove, duck) but what shot I am using and range of shot I am expecting.

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Personally, I shoot trap (& some skeet) with a Mossberg 500 with a 28" barrel and I usually use the IC choke, sometimes modified.
    I've tried it with the 18.5" barrel just for laughs... good luck breaking clays that way.

Here ya go: 46293 - 12 Ga Mossberg 500 All-Purpose Barrel, 28", Bead Sight, Blue - Manufactured by: Mossberg

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

all you need is a standard 28" barrel with the screw in choke tubes; really all you need are 3 chokes:
    Improved cylinder
    Modified
    Full

Those will more than satisfy your needs for anything that comes along. I shot 90% of my sporting clays with a modified choke, and a mossberg 9200 semi auto shotgun.

It really hurt all the remington/browning/krieghoff guys when I beat them, too....

Good Luck to you,
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I would get a 18.5" cylinder bore and a 28" multi choke barrel.
    What he said would work great you not only learn the function of 1 shotgun and get used to it's action but the shorter barrel for home defense saves $$$ over purchasing 2 shotguns
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

What is the accu-set choke? Is it one choke that does all, or a multi-purpose, or what? I keep seeing it but can't get a definition. Sorry about all the goofy questions folks, this is all pretty new ground for me.

Senior Moderator
    accu choke set is a set of screw in chokes plus choke wrench, all that you really need to start shooting

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Yep - the link I gave you in my last post is for a 28" Mossy 500 barrel that will accept any of the Accu-Choke series choke tubes. It might even come with a few, I couldn't tell from the page.

Good luck.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Thanks all! Much appriciated!

Links