first firearm

first firearm

This is a discussion on first firearm within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Im turning 18 soon, making me eligible to purchase a rifle or shotgun in washington state I have decided on an AK type in .223 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first firearm

first firearm

Im turning 18 soon, making me eligible to purchase a rifle or shotgun in washington state
    I have decided on an AK type in .223 Remington caliber
    Ive done quite a bit of research and think ive found a winner with an Arsenal SLR-106F
    .223 Remington or 5.56x45mm, Folding Stock, AK-74 type muzzle break, clear polymer 30rd magazines available, two stage trigger, and it has a bit more range than the run of the mill 7.62x39mm AK
    Found it for $680 from uberams.com
    I would add two thirty round magazines (it comes with a 5 rounder), a good sling, and XS night sights
    It would be used for home defense, target practice, and hunting
    recently ive read about problems with the Arsenal AK's though
    Any comments on the weapon, accessories, or other ideas?
    Thanks

Administrator
    Good gun, I'd skip the night sights and spend the money on mags and ammo instead. I also would get the 7.62x39, unless you have a specific need for the 223.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    If you intend to hunt 7.62x39 for sure.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

B52
    1+ for the 7.62x39

I live in the city and where the weapon would see most use is at a range
    for which I would like to be shooting longer ranges than the 7.62x39mm allows.
    The hunting is more something that I would like to do than than something that would be happening regularly

The 223... good for home and what if scenarios. Hunting I would also vote for the 7.62 as well. Good point on holding off on the night sights, and go for mags and ammo...
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

XS lists their AK sights at $70
    not too unreasonable
    I also believe that, although home defense will be the least (if ever) used reason for this rifle, it will be by far the most important
    and if im clearing my house at night after hearing something go bump I think it would be handy to have a nice glowing green dot showing me where my bullet will be going

Another go for the 7.62x39 here. I have an Arsenal SLR-95 milled receiver in 7.62x39. From what I've heard, the Arsenal line had some small problems which statistically might not be much to worry about--but I think this was back 2-3 years ago. Came across a thread that hinted about this just a few days ago. I'm still taking the stand that Arsenal's rifles are good quality--maybe not as much so as back in the day, and what these babies fetch nowadays price-wise sort of surprises me in a way. Alot of other folks 'in the know' on the AK's Ive heard talk of here seem to lean toward Krebs as near to top quality in the department. I listen to the opinions/options, but I've had this AK for a long time, I love it, it's excellent, see no reason for another or an upgrade. Might say I'm not totally in the loop--just within earshot of it. There are better platforms for the .223.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Another vote for the 7.62x39. At your age, I assume you don't have oodles of money to spend and .223 is getting mighty pricey. I understand you want the long range ability, but, to be honest, you are probably not going to get fantastic long range accuracy (600 meters +) out of an AK platform anyways. So get one in the 7.62, buy lots of ammo, and practice and become an expert with the capabilities of the weapon.

Continue to save up money and add more weapons to your arsenal.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Sounds like a good choice. However, I'll also recommend 7.62 instead of .223.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Well I just got done comparing the ballistics between a 5.56x45mm and a 7.62x39mm and it seems the 7.62 is the winner in at least foot pounds of energy (1600 vs 1099)
    thats a plus
    the cost of ammo was about 60 bucks cheaper per 1000 rounds for 7.62
    thats another plus
    so now thanks to you guys im looking at the Arsenal SLR-107F
    for some reason its more expensive... :(

Ammo prices alone would lead me to the 7.62x39.

But any Arsenal AK would be a great first rifle :)

I'd also consider a yugo m70ab2, should be able to find one around $500. Solid underfolder with all the evil features. :D

actually my cousin recently bought a yugo underfolder (to the horror of my anti gun family haha) ive yet to go out shooting with him yet but it could be arranged soon hopefully
    anyone know why the SLR-107 (7.62) is more expensive than the 106 (5.56), also when is the Arsenal SLR-108 coming out?

Yeah definitely have a go with your cousin's rifle before you buy anything. There's no question that you won't like it, but it'll give you a good feel of the 7.62 and AK's in general.

The prices of arsenal's rifles don't ever seem to follow a real pattern. . . but I'm guessing it has something to do with it being a "limited" or "special" edition.

But the difference in price will be saved with the first case of ammo you buy ;)

If you really want a 5.56 though, don't let anyone talk you out of it. After all, it's your first, and you'll have many more rifles to come (that is, if Oh-bama doesn't take them away).

while looking and comparing 5.56 vs 7.62 ammo prices, the 556 didnt seem all that much more expensive (145 for the 556 compared to 125 for 762) for 500 rounds of wolf from cabelas
    im buying wolf because its cheap and from what ive heard functions fine in AKs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links