Help finding right shotgun combo, please?

This is a discussion on Help finding right shotgun combo, please? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, with a birthday coming up, I am asking for a shotgun - my ultimate shotgun is rather unique, I am finding, so I am ...

Thread: Help finding right shotgun combo, please?

Help finding right shotgun combo, please?

So, with a birthday coming up, I am asking for a shotgun - my ultimate shotgun is rather unique, I am finding, so I am turning to y'all for help. I have perused this site, Gun Broker, THR, Mossberg, Remington, Benelli, Saiga and other sites, but as yet have not found this combination. I do not know much about shotties, so any thoughts are appreciated!

I plan to use this shotgun for home defense, trap shooting, pheasant hunting, and to give it to my boy as his first shotgun. I know I will need different chokes for different applications, and I think I know what loads I want for each application (THANKS Box O' Truth!!).

I am looking for a 20 gauge, 18" barrel (or shorter) with a wood stock. I can get close with Mossberg 57110, but the barrel is 20". I can get close with the Remington 25561, but the barrel is 21". As the primary intent is HD, I want the shortest possible barrel, but still be legal.

I think that my order of importance is 20 gauge, wood stock and 18" barrel. I think that because I will not be able to find this combo, but will have to build it. If that is the case, is it "legal" for me to swap out the longer 20" (I lean towards the Mossberg, I think, from a personal feel for the 500) with an 18" (or shorter, if they are manufactured) barrel?

Help!!

Steve

2. Remove Ads

18 inches is about as short as you can get without a class 3 liscense. The issue you may have with a barrel swap with the 20" barrel on a mossberg if if it has the full length magazine (8 shot model), is that the magazine is the full length of the barrel, so you can't add a shorter one.

I personally think that a 20 in barrel is suitable for HD as that is what my mossberg, has, but that is me.

The other issue is that a short barrel makes trap shooting and birding more difficult, as 28-30" barrels are usually used for this application, so you would need to find a spare barrel in that length, or else deal with the short barrel (I have shot clays on many occasions with a 20", but it is not ideal).

You want one shotgun to fulfill the role of 2-3, and so your search may be slightly difficult, as you have found. Aside from getting one with a spare barrel and switchin them out depending on the job, I'm not sure what else to suggest. Just some thoughts.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Nosce Te Ipsum View Post
    ... home defense, trap shooting, pheasant hunting ... 20 gauge, 18" barrel (or shorter) with a wood stock.
    If you've looked at all the mfrs' sites and have not found anything that'll work for you, you might well not find anything suitable in a single package. Ditto on the idea of a second barrel.

The Benelli M1 Super 90 semi-auto might be a consideration. You can find them for well under $1K, if you're patient, on GunBroker.com and other places. With a 26-28" bbl, it would be suitable for field and occasional trap use. Swapping out for an 18" bbl, it would be suitable for home defense. With the shim kit, it can help adjust the fit for multiple people.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Thanks, guys!!!

I appreciate your thoughts - I have decided that I will ask for a Mossberg 57110 - 20 gauge with the 20" barrel in wood, and move down to the 18" barrel, as it should still clear the magazine.

I will also get a 28" barrel for trap and hunting, along with the chokes.

Thanks again for your thoughts and help!

Steve

Just a thought for ya, the Bantam models already have a shortened stock, so they are shorter overall than the 500. That being said, see how well the weapon maneuvers around your floorplan, because if it is open, 2" off the barrel in my mind wouldn't justify the need to spend the cash on a 18" barrel.

The 28" is obviously a different matter
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I think the short barrels are OVER-RATED and unnecessary. So are eight round tube magazines. Mostly macho fantasy.

A 26" barrel works fine, and is much better for shooting clay birds and/or hunting. You will use it a lot more on clay birds. Be sure to get one that has choke tubes.

My house gun is an S&W .38 revolver.

Gold, I will disagree about the short barrel comment. Anytime I'm clearin a house with a long gun (it is part of my job description), I want pretty much the shortest long gun available, shotty's included. Less to go around the corner before you, less for a BG to grab onto, easier to maneuver indoors, ect...

As far as 8 round tubes, you can never have too much ammo, unless you are tryin to swim. YMMV though.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Distinguished Member
    FYI, I have a 20 gauge Mossberg 18" for HD. My only regret is that HD ammo in twenty gauge is expensive and hard to come by. If I could sell it (no one wants it) I'd get a twelve gauge.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

It's not a 20, but I have a Mossberg 930 12ga that shoots nice. It came as a combo deal from Dick's last December with 2 barrels,extra hunting stock and a scope for around 500$

I also agree with Buckeye about the small barrel, it's very hard to maneuver inside a house with 26" or 28" barrel gun so I bought the 18.5" from Mossberg for around 160$.

Administrator
    Indoors I see real proved advantage to having as short of a shotty barrel as is legal.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I see you've already made up your mind, but I'll throw in my two cents anyway. I also was looking for what you described, yet I decided to go with the Mossberg 54169, a 12 ga. (wanted 20 ga.) combo 18 1/2 inch, and 28 inch with a pistol grip kit. $340.00. Will use as a shotty at home, yet can take it with the long barrel to the skeet range, we'll see how it goes.

Rmac58 & Aznav ... you two should get together. One has a 12ga Mossberg but wanted a 20ga, and the other has a 20ga but would prefer a 12ga. Sounds like a match.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have a Benelli M4, pricey but it kills clays and eats anything.
    With a touch light it is a nice big gun for the house...

I concur with a shorty shottie in the house... ;)
    If I had the situation of the OP....I'd buy short barrel AND a long barrel gun....never can have too many toys!

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Rmac58 & Aznav ... you two should get together. One has a 12ga Mossberg but wanted a 20ga, and the other has a 20ga but would prefer a 12ga. Sounds like a match.
    Good point!

Links