Carbine Quad-rails

Carbine Quad-rails

This is a discussion on Carbine Quad-rails within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone around here know who makes a good carbine length quad rail for M-4geries? Also along with this, where is a good place to order ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carbine Quad-rails

Anyone around here know who makes a good carbine length quad rail for M-4geries?

Also along with this, where is a good place to order from to get good deals?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Lead Moderator
    How much you want to spend? YHM, UTG make less costly stuff, Daniel Defense, Knights , ect are high end.
    AR15.COM might be the place to ask , or just do lots of reading.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Rocky, as little as possible while still getting a good system. No plastic, none of the little rails that aren't a solid bar accross, I'm hoping to find something for under $150.

Knights is good, my 16A4 has their system, but they are a bit pricey.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I want a set too , just not enough to spend $$ on them . I really dont have any utility for them other than i think they look neat . Light ?? well i learned years ago how to handle a rifle and a light just fine thank you . Vertical grip ?? well again years ago i learned to use the mag well just fine for close carbine work . Laser?? dont care for them and wont bolt them on . That pretty much leaves bipod to shoot prarie dogs with , and a sand bag works fine for that so far lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

RR, I see your point. The only rifle I've been issued without a quad rail was my A2 back in boot camp, and since then I have just grown used to it. Probably all I will add to it is a foregrip (no, net needed on a semi-auto, but once again, its what I am used to and train with, and we don't usually shoot burst in training anyways), and a light.

Tryin to find a few things that I've wanted to do to my rifles that I can afford with my stimulus check.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I put a UTG on my last build. It seems to be decent enough for my needs.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Buckeye IMHO a vfg is not needed on an old school full auto much less the ratchet system of today . Hey tho if it makes you feel better and more in control by all means use it confidence is a big part of competence.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Anyone around here know who makes a good carbine length quad rail for M-4geries?

Also along with this, where is a good place to order from to get good deals?
    Are you looking for free-float, or just pop-in replacements for the standard handguards?

YHM makes rails that pop in like the stock handguards, and you should be able to find them in the $150 price range.

In free-float, Larue Tactical makes excellent stuff (but it's more expensive).

Daniel Defense has a nice, but pricier free-float system that clamps onto the barrel nut, so you don't have to pull the front sight block to install it. It's a bit spendy, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    I want a set too , just not enough to spend $$ on them . I really dont have any utility for them other than i think they look neat . Light ?? well i learned years ago how to handle a rifle and a light just fine thank you . Vertical grip ?? well again years ago i learned to use the mag well just fine for close carbine work .
    I used to use the magwell hold, too - until I was at the range one day and witnessed a guy have a catastrophic case failure. Fortunately, he was shooting from a rest - if he'd had his hand on the well, he'd be missing at least a few fingers.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Matt, just the pop in ones are fine. I'm not tryin to make a competition rifle, jsut gettin my civilian rifle closer to the set up I am comfortable with and carry pretty much daily. The only free-float M-16's I've seen in the Corps are DM rifles, man, they are nice. But us normal groud pounders don't need all that.

RR, I also don't like usin the magwell because it is just a bit to close in for personal preference as far as maneuvering the weapon, and it slows down my reloads (another side effect of the training).
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Senior Moderator
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Another option is the KAC RAS factory 2nds that G&R Tactical sells. It is a little more than you wanted to spend but comes with 3 very nice rail panels that if you factored the cost in would probably put the cost of the rails at right around $150. IMHO the KAC RAS is the best non free float option out there. It locks us solid as a rock and is battle proven.

best,
    Mike

Lead Moderator
    My GF has UTG 2 pc. rails they seem solid and almost identical to the YHM system. Either one would be a affordable choice for quad rails. I did notice the one Yankee Hill FF rail I had was a bit oversized than right in spec. It still worked but the vert. grip took a bit of light tapping to mount up.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I'll give the UTG quad rail handguards a good review! Love them, glad I got them and at a good price! No reason to pay exorbitant prices IMO. Very sturdy, and I didn't 'shoot them off' when I went to the range.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I have the Sure Fire M73 on my work gun. This is a drop in non free floating bbl set up. They have been rock solid once lock-tited and marked. I also have a Daniel Defense 7.0 light rail on another gun. It is free floated and and is also rock solid. If you are only going to mount a gangster grip and light on the rails, there is no reason to spend the big bucks. If you are going to mount ANY type of sighting device (dot, visible/IR laser etc) spend the money on the DD, LaRue or Troy. They are true to spec and attach firmly to the rifle.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

I have a RRA w/aluminum quad rail,with the covers on it the thing is a bigger diameter than car handguards and without a fore grip would be hard to hold onto
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links