Opinions of Olympic arms AR-15's?

This is a discussion on Opinions of Olympic arms AR-15's? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Saw one today for a reasonable price. Collapsible stock, upgraded hand guard, 16 inch barrel, total price $729.00. So, what are the opinions of this ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions of Olympic arms AR-15's?

Opinions of Olympic arms AR-15's?

Saw one today for a reasonable price. Collapsible stock, upgraded hand guard, 16 inch barrel, total price $729.00.

So, what are the opinions of this brand out there? I am thinking real hard of taking the "Economic Stimulus" check and getting this rifle.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I think they make a good basic rifle for less money.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I did a search and found this thread: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...eputation.html

Some very good info on there but still wondering if anyone else wants to weigh in.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Moderator
    I think they make a good rifle. I know several folks who have them and they seem to like them.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Oly's QC is really poor and because of that their rifles are hit and miss. For about the same money I would pick up a stripped lower locally and a Stag Kit from Legal Tranfers for $633. IMHO you'll be miles ahead of any Oly with this set up and you'll learn alot about the rifle putting it together yourself.
    With the Stag you would probably want to re-stake the carrier key and possibly add one of the Bravo Company extractor upgrade kits, but after that you would have a very nice carbine. Hope this helps.

Best,
    Mike

Oly's QC is really poor and because of that their rifles are hit and miss.
    That's what I have heard as well. I'd think you could find at least a basic Bushmaster for the same amount of money. I play the odds games with other things, but not with my firearms.

BAC
    For the price you could do much better. ADS makes a good rifle, Mike pointed out the Stag kit which gets you a better rifle than an Olympic Arms one, a Bushmaster A2 costs $875 from Personal Security Zone, etc. My own experience with them is a pretty limited sample size but I was far from impressed.

-B

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I wouldn't touch an Oly Arms AR with a 20' pole. I know someone who worked there as an armorer and the horror stories on QC are legion. Archives of AR15.com are full of hundreds of pages on this topic!

A friend has one of there lowers and hasn't had any problems with it. Then again, lowers are lowers in my book.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEFan View Post
    A friend has one of there lowers and hasn't had any problems with it. Then again, lowers are lowers in my book.
    Normally your book is right, since most lower receivers are forged. Olympic Arms lowers are cast, though, and have a history of ill-fitting of parts, magazines, out-of-spec mag wells, etc. Their website even has an area asking about whether the receivers are cast or forged, and while they come out and say they don't use cast receivers anymore they don't exactly assure that their own receivers are normal forged ones, either.

-B

I had one before and it was okay for what it was. Decently accurate and reliable. A lot better ARs around, but the price was right.

For what you're looking at though, I'd go with a Doublestar. What I've read so far has been good and they are made in Winchester, Kentucky, so the prices are cheap for your area.

Doublestar DS4WM4HG 223 W/CARRY HANDLE for Sale at Buds Gun Shop
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I have had a plinker model for about a year now, around 1000 rounds though it with no problems, so far it has been a good rifle. Price was $500 out the door.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Normally your book is right, since most lower receivers are forged. Olympic Arms lowers are cast, though, and have a history of ill-fitting of parts, magazines, out-of-spec mag wells, etc. Their website even has an area asking about whether the receivers are cast or forged, and while they come out and say they don't use cast receivers anymore they don't exactly assure that their own receivers are normal forged ones, either.

-B
    Ahhhhh. See guys, you learn something everyday around here. Thanks for the heads up BAC.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Lead Moderator
    I think some of their lowers were cast instead of forged. As others said, it seems hit or miss with them. the price doesn't sound all that good , I think you would be better off buying a kit.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

For a little bit more money, you could get something quality like Rock River Arms.

I haven't heard good things about Olympic Arms from my friends.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links