Defensive Carry banner

Any Thoughts on PC9?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Knuckledrager 
#1 ·
I am kind of intrigued by these little rifles and wondering if anybody has one or good input on them. There is a new one locally (literally collecting dust in a corner) it is the ghost ring model. Seems like now that they are discontinued they are becoming slightly sought after (used one on GB w/6bids at $505 right now). I can pick this one up for almost $100 less than that. Any thoughts? Thanks!!

#2 ·
My job has several PC 4s in inventory. These are the .40 S&W version of the PC 9. They are of less that stellar design for a fighting gun and are poorly executed. The idea behind getting them was having a shoulder fired carbine for patrol that was less "drastic looking" than the M16 type weapons that SRT was using. Did I mention that they were donated.

They are lacking in power and range. The sights will not hold a zero are of the "no see um" design. Trigger feel is abysmal. The receiver must be taken out of its stock for a field strip. The magazines, even new ones, usually fail to lock the bolt to the rear on an empty mag. Some bolts can be released by pulling the charging handle, some can't. From a combative standpoint, it is nearly impossible to maintain a firing grip on the weapon while operating the bolt. Each of ours has a different taste in ammo. :aargh4:

Other than the aforementioned issues, they're the bee's knees. :mad:

#3 ·
PC9

I have one in the safe. Bought it to go with a P89 for SHTF and such years ago. Heavy for a 9mm and as mentioned hard to strip and clean. Mine is marked "Police Carbine" instead of the later "PC" I have had no ammo or magazine issues with mine except for some ungodly poor USA Magazines 30 rounders I bought during the ban. Mine has plain sights and can hit whatever I want to 150 yards, more like 200 with a 4x scope and some hold over. I have Gold Saber +p in it. Nowadays I use ARs for my carbine needs, but I wouldn't sell mine, totally serviceable if you need a 9mm.

#4 ·
I've got a PC9, without the ghost ring sights.

If you carry a 9mm pistol and having a 9mm carbine rifle makes sense to you, then it's an option to consider. Particularly if your carry pistol is a Ruger that uses the same magazines.

Mine is very reliable with my chosen carry ammo. I've got a stack of the Ruger 15rd magazines, which all work flawlessly.

Yes, removal of the bolt's spring assembly is a bit tricky, but it's not difficult once you've done it several times. Other than that little time sink, I don't find it tougher to clean than anything else.

As for accuracy, I can hit anything I aim at out to ~75yds or so (vision limited, in my case). Similar accuracy whether single-shot or rapid-fire.

#5 ·
I have a PC9, thanks to the Brady Bunch. It was bought the first day of the NICS check as NRA asked me to participate in their lawsuit against the new law.

It shook the scope mounts loose every time I shot it, otherwise a decent plinker.

For serious work, I much prefer the CAR-15.

#6 ·
I started a thread a while back about the PC9... fun little guns and a great SHTF addition. I'd pick one up, just dont expect rifle like performance, cause your going to get pistol like performance outta one.

If you dont buy it, PM me, I will.

#7 ·
I think that the reliability issues that we are having are related to the caliber. Based on what I'm hearing those with the 9mm have not had as many issues as we have. BTW when ours go out the door I will be getting rid of a bunch of spare parts. I'll let everyone know when that day comes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.