AR Combat Optics

AR Combat Optics

This is a discussion on AR Combat Optics within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, I am thinking about getting an eotech EOTech 510 Tactical Holosight Rev. F and wondered if anyone knew anything about it, or if anyone ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR Combat Optics

AR Combat Optics

Ok, I am thinking about getting an eotech EOTech 510 Tactical Holosight Rev. F and wondered if anyone knew anything about it, or if anyone had any information about another one that I should consider. I want to stay away from the N batteries. My thought was that Aimpoint has a longer batter life so I could live with stocking a few wierd batteries, but this one has a much shorter lifetime and if I get AA batteries, well Will Smith even had those in I Am Legend (if that doesn't get a chuckle, well I don't know what to do for you all!) AA batteries are readily avilable so its easier to deal with that one, and I don't need a super short scope for my mounting, its fully railed.

I saw some "Military" scopes and didn't really see a reason to get any of them. I am not against getting an M2 Aimpoint completely, so if you want to point out something about it feel free. Thanks all.

That is what I have mounted on my Bushmaster. I love it. I like the fact that if the batteries die, I can stop at any store and pick some up. I think you will be more than happy with this choice.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

AEA
    Aimpoint CompM4 uses one AA size battery.
    Additionally, it will use ANY battery of ANY voltage that is AA size.
    Additionally, it will run continuously on a "normal" 1.5v AA Battery for 10 years!
    Yep,......that's right......you don't even have to ever turn it off! If you forget to turn it off, it is no problem.......
    Additionally, it is waterproof.......NOT water "resistant". Take it fishing!

Now, the bad news.......
    It costs almost as much as your standard AR!

But, you get what you pay for.....

BAC
    A lot of end-users are having complaints about their EOTechs (lack of durability, complication of buttons, battery life, etc.), and the most popular by far seems to be Aimpoints like the CompM4 and Trijicon ACOGs. Something to be said about an optic that you don't have to worry about batteries over (that weight adds up), or an optic that doesn't need batteries at all, and is rugged as will ever be required.

Never served, and never been in a gun fight, but I like ACOGs and can see how they'd be a great asset.

-B

My buddy bought an acog 4x scope it cost almost 1.5 x as much as his AR but it is an awesome scope,pop the end caps and its ready, no buttons ,and it also has BDC built in for ranges out to 600 yds IIRC.but it did cost him around 1400.00 if I remember what he said right all i know is unless i need one fer tactical life saving shots i can't afford one ,I do have an eotech with the n batteries it's a first generation
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Trijicons are expensive but nice, glad I didn't have to pay for mine, an invaluable tool.

Never needs batteries, although apparently sometimes the tritium dimishes in brightness over time, but I'm not sure it would be enough to worry about in your lifetime.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

The Reflex II isnt (as) expensive, and works like a charm!
    Attached Images
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Dan, thats an awfully small dot and not that bright, how well does it work when shooting in the direction of the sun, or other bright situations?

I only ask because it would seem to me that if it was too bright out the dot would be lost.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

kaz
    Quote Originally Posted by HK Dan View Post
    The Reflex II isnt (as) expensive, and works like a charm!
    I wondered if anyone would bring that one up. I like mine.

Dan, thats an awfully small dot and not that bright, how well does it work when shooting in the direction of the sun, or other bright situations?

I only ask because it would seem to me that if it was too bright out the dot would be lost.
    Hope you don't mind me responding too. I haven't had too much trouble losing it, so I don't think it's too small. I think it's supposed to make it easier to shoot small targets and/or longer (than CQB) ranges. The fiber optics seem to keep it bright enough, but I hear it gets washed out if you're shooting from a dark area into a bright one. I tried just sighting such a situation and I'm confident with some practice you can get around it fairly well. Overall I'm happy with mine and have no complaints.

No problem with you responding kaz. I'm used to my beloved ACOG, which tends to have a fairly large aiming point suitable for CQB, and once you get the hang of it you can use it to reach out and touch someone.

Is the reflex meant to use the two eye sighting method too? Kinda hard to get used to, but once you do great for up to about 150 yards.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I have the EO Tech 510 on my BushMaster AR...perfect setup...OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I shelled out the big bucks for an Aimpoint CompM4 and I'm very happy with it. Another quite reasonable option would be an Aimpoint CompC3. Not night vision compatible, and still waterproof just not as deep. (Like maybe 3-5m instead of 50m or something like that) I think they are very near the price of an EOTech - but you don't have to push a button to turn it on. Just pick up the gun.

I like the ACOGs for that reason also, but they aren't as good for fast shooting up close - at least with my eyes. The theory is you shoot with both eyes open and the 4x reticle from the one eye tracks along with the 1x vision with your other eye and you can hit that way.

Austin

Looks like I am going to get a Eotech 512A2. I'm not sure but I think I like it a tad more than the Aimpoint. I really want the Trijicon with the red dot mounted on top of it, but that's twice the money and not something I am willing to do at the moment!

Administrator

Remember that the aimpoint is NOT a Holographic weapon sight.

The EoTech is a true optical hologram sighting system and that is what you are paying your money for.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    QK, can you explain what, exactly, makes a holographic sight? I have always wondered that...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links