general purpose rifle

general purpose rifle

This is a discussion on general purpose rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; just wondering what you all think. I am looking for a new rilfe that is pretty much general purpose. would you get 44 rem mag ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: general purpose rifle

general purpose rifle

just wondering what you all think. I am looking for a new rilfe that is pretty much general purpose. would you get 44 rem mag lever action, 270 bolt action, or 30-30 lever action and of course why. this would be a general shooting, hunting, and home defense. i have looked at all of these and have different reasons for picking this particular ones. just wondering your thoughts. i respect all of your thoughts and knowledge. also with the calibers a particular kind would be great. thanks.

Hard to beat the .30-30; it has been a standard for about a hundred years.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Between those three, I would choose the 30-30. To me it would just be better all around than the other two.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Were I getting one rifle, it would be an M14 or an FAL. 30 cal, magazine fed, semiautos- what else do you need?
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I have a Win 30-30 lever action that's an excellent "brush gun" (not terribly accurate past about 100 yards though). Reliable as gravity, and has a great sense of nostalgia to it (My Dad, Grandfather & Great Grandfather all bagged deer with a Win 30-30; if there were hunters in your family, they likely used one too).

My next rifle will either be an AK platform or an M1A platform, probably in .308 either way. I'm kind of leaning M1A for accuracy reasons. That's a true multipurpose gun.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

How do you plan to use the rifle for home defense? Those are big guns to go shooting in a city/suburb and even in the country they'd be hard to stop. I guess if you're making sniper shots at invading BG at long distances they'd be okay.

Any rifle can be great fun for shooting at the range. For general shooting I personally like the smaller caliber rifles because I like the least amount of kick possible.

Shooting at the range and hunting though are two different issues. The size of the rifle depends on the prey I'm after. All of those you've listed would be pretty much overkill for rabbit, squirrel, possum, frogs, snakes and coons.

I guess what throws a kink in your question, for me, is that you included home defense in your uses of a general purpose rifle. I will probably get flamed for this but I just don't think a rifle is something one should think of when contemplating "home" defense. Nor do I think that a person should think of home defense when seeking out a general purpose rifle.

So if you take home defense out of the billing I really think it comes down to bolt action or lever action. I would say either a Win 94 "thuddy thuddy" as already mentioned if you want a lever gun or a Savage, Remington or Mossberg ATR depending on your price bracket if you want a bolt gun. Whichever caliber you get, make sure it is a common one and for a general purpose rifle, I would shy away from the pistol calibers.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

I think a rifle for home defense is good idea.....in addition to a good handgun or two and a good shotgun. The handgun can buy you time until you can get to a long gun. I would use a shot gun if some one were already in my home, or almost in.

Lets say the OP has a home in a rural area with a bit of property...a rifle would be great for defense if you had a group of people(or zombies) heading up your long driveway. I would certainly grab my 30-30.

Hornady's new Leverevolution ammo extends the range of lever action guns well past 100 yds now.

VIP Member
    I think the lever gun is a good way to go. Another plus is it will be one of the last firearms that the anti's will be able to ban.

ARs, AKs, SKSs ....etc....will be & have been, in the anti's sights for banning. With the next AWB, that will be brought to a vote, these will be banned! At least if you get a lever gun, the chances are good that you will be able to keep it longer than the others.....especially when we get an anti in the White House.

I also think that every gun owner should own at least one lever gun...IMHO it is the most American of all firearms. Bolt guns & semi's all originated elsewhere, but lever guns have always been American, even from their ancestors the Volcanic & Henry.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by RedHouse View Post
    I think a rifle for home defense is good idea.....in addition to a good handgun or two and a good shotgun. The handgun can buy you time until you can get to a long gun. I would use a shot gun if some one were already in my home, or almost in.

Lets say the OP has a home in a rural area with a bit of property...a rifle would be great for defense if you had a group of people(or zombies) heading up your long driveway. I would certainly grab my 30-30.
    Red, based on your comments, I gather that you believe a lever action rifle would be more effective against a group of people than a shotgun??????????????????????

Also, remember I spoke of "HOME DEFENSE." I never said a rifle isn't a good defensive weapon, I said that in my opinion the rifle, especially a general purpose rifle (think bolt and lever guns here) shouldn't be what people look at when considering a home defense weapon.

[off topic]
    For what it is worth a properly trained handler with a quality shotgun can effectively defend the home and it will likely require much less training to get good than any other weapon.
    [/off topic]

Sorry OP we can go back to topic now.
    Last edited by BigEFan; May 13th, 2008 at 08:06 PM. Reason: spelling
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by BigEFan View Post
    Red, based on your comments, I gather that you believe a lever action rifle would be more effective against a group of people than a shotgun??????????????????????
    That depends on the distance of the group....

I have a Winchester lever-action 30-30 and I love it. While I wouldn't consider it the 'ideal' home defense gun, I don't think a BG would like it much.

30-30 has indeed stood the test of time...plus they are great little rifles to shoot. So, out of your choices, I would go with the 30-30.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I'll throw another vote out for a .30-30, just something nice about them.

As far as rifles for HD, I don't see the problem with using an AR for home defense, it actually won't overpenetrate as much as people believe in modern buildings.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    I'll rock the boat alittle and chose the 44mag lever gun, since it's the only one of the three I own. My mdl. 94 Trapper is a sweet shooting little rifle. Loaded with 44 specials it has minimal recoil, and could easily serve for home defense. Even though it has a 16" barrel, it is fairly hefty for such a compact rifle. I have taken deer and javalina with it using full power loads.

2nd choice would be the 30-30, but I am partial to lever guns....OMO
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

finally a 44 mag voter....lol. I am kinda leaning more towards the lever action gun than a bolt action. to be honest I am wondering the pro's and con's of both the 3030 and the 44. I know that the 3030 has more power but is it really that much more and that much better? I currently have a 32 winchester special. love it but the ammo is getting harder and harder to find and is only a matter of time before it is a specialty ammo and way expensive. for this reason looking for another more popular and available round.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links