1st AR

This is a discussion on 1st AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Bushmaster receiver, bought years ago, and want a to build a service rifle as well as a good all around AR. This ...

Thread: 1st AR

1st AR

I have a Bushmaster receiver, bought years ago, and want a to build a service rifle as well as a good all around AR. This will be my first AR, and I have had very little experience w/ them. What do you all think of this kit? 5.56 Post-Ban 20" DCM NM Kit

Any suggestions on a similar, or better kit? This is near my price ceiling for this project, is there something I'm missing other than a few specialized tools and ammo? Would you stick to a more simple (read lower $$) for a first AR?

Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Are you looking for a DCM competition rifle? If no, you may save some money on a different upper. Note the upper you selected does not have a flash hider. M&A seems to be decent parts. My buddy bought a complete upper from them that seems to work fine.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Yes, I'm interested in CMP competition. I used a Enfield years ago and want to try service high power again. I also want it to be a good plinker if I don't like the local high power club. Does a free float tube make a huge difference, or is it just make it easier to use a sling?
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

The pictured gun in that link has a lot longer than a 20" barrel. I'd guess its 24".
    I'm not sure what the rules are for service rifle competition, but I would look into it before buying parts if you want to be able to compete.
    A free float tube takes the sling out of the equation - it is also probably not allowed for service rifle competition.
    I think you will probably end up with a better rifle and at a better price if you buy all the parts separate. There really aren't that many parts to an AR....

Just my two cents

Austin

Links