Looking for a cheap Bullpup

This is a discussion on Looking for a cheap Bullpup within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm looking to find a nice bullpup style rifle. Preferably for under $1000 (give or take a little). I'd love a FN PS90, but they ...

Thread: Looking for a cheap Bullpup

I'm looking to find a nice bullpup style rifle. Preferably for under $1000 (give or take a little). I'd love a FN PS90, but they seem to all be out of my price range. Anyone have any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by VtCO View Post
    I'm looking to find a nice bullpup style rifle. Preferably for under $1000 (give or take a little). I'd love a FN PS90, but they seem to all be out of my price range. Anyone have any recommendations?
    There's plenty out there,

M17S, Ruger Mini-14 Bullpup, AK-47 Bullpups, etc.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Out of curiosity, why a bull-pup?

Some that come to mind are the SA-80, FAMAS, AUG....all are expensive/unavailable....and generally have bad reputations from users.

Austin

I like the design for use in a close quarters urban environment (i.e. home defense type stuff).

Here are two copies of the Steyr AUG that are sold in the US. I think that both of them cost about twice your price range, but hey, they look really cool.

Microtech Small Arms Research - STG-556™ Sporting Rifle

Welcome to TPD - Tactical Product Design

one of my local shops has one one their wall for sale - one of the old Bushmasters...

heavy little gun too

Here's the Kel Tec RFB Kel Tec RFB video Cost was still over $1000 if I remember right, and not do out till 2009.

Have you ever shot a bullpup? I was interested in getting a AUG intill I put a little trigger time behind one. reloading is awkward and slow, and most models will shoot brass into your face if you need to swich to your weak hand. (KT has eliminated this problem with the forward ejection, a copy of an HK design if I remember right.) Find a place that rents any bullpup, or allow you to do some reload drills with a new one before you drop the $$$.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

One of the new magazines that recently hit the news stands had a very favorable test of the Century Arms Bullpup which I believe was somewhere in the $600 range. Dont know much about them but it caught my eye.

BAC
    They're notorious for bad triggers. Several enlisted folks have trained with them when cross training with the Aussies and Brits, and said folks have frequently commented on lightness and comfort/ease of use of the AR (M4 in particular). Granted, this is more anecdotal, but the first statement about triggers, and the previous statements by others about not being user-friendly to use weak-handed or south-paw, is and are pretty well documented.

Considering your specified use, I have to note that even given the option to use different weapons, the vast majority of SWAT teams still use AR-type rifles. The P90 is the only "bullpup" (sorta?) used on any sort of large scale in the US, and it's still uncommon and will likely remain uncommon. Not that it's cheap, but just making a point.

-B

one benefit of bullpups i've noticed is that once you get used to reloading you rarely need to take your fireing hand off the weapon. and there are kits to make an M1A pullpup as well as the others.
    Short Rifle Stock Systems
    Last edited by bobcat35; May 16th, 2008 at 03:34 PM. Reason: added link
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Links