Century Arms G-3 Clone?

Century Arms G-3 Clone?

This is a discussion on Century Arms G-3 Clone? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm looking at a Century Arms G-3, from what I can find out it is a century stamped receiver with HK internals. It was owned ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Century Arms G-3 Clone?

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar

Question Century Arms G-3 Clone?

I'm looking at a Century Arms G-3, from what I can find out it is a century stamped receiver with HK internals. It was owned by a cop here in town and is in great shape. I have heard horror stories about the CETME, but not too much is written about these. Any Imput?
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Mark, the GunPlumber has good spec sheets regarding what to look for. Arizona Response Systems

HKPro.com will also be an excellent resource for you.

DO NOT buy an aluminum receiver G3. They're usually bulkier and (clearly) aren't magnetic.

Thanks Rob72, I had forgotten about ARS. The rifle has the steel reciever and is in really good shape, but a trip to ARS might be the ticket to smooth it out if needed.

Senior Moderator
    I've got one and its a great shooter.
    I would have no problems buying another.

About the only negative I can think of is that it ejects brass over into the next county. I reload, and can never find it all.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

About the only negative I can think of is that it ejects brass over into the next county. I reload, and can never find it all.
    I was told about that little "problem", also that they have a habit of putting a pretty good "ding" in it on the way out!

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

Do you use a port buffer or anything on yours? I have a PTR-91, and it puts a good 1/4in deep dent in every casing on its way to the neighboring county. I've heard of people making their own port buffers so they can reload the brass, but I've never seen any actual examples.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Senior Moderator
    Do you use a port buffer or anything on yours?
    Nope. Mine is stock.
    Although it soots up the brass and dings the necks, the sizing die irons the neck right out, so other than being cosmetic, its really not a problem. You need to tumble the brass to get the flute marks out of them, but I tumbel all of my brass anyway.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

strange. mine doesn't touch the neck - I end up with a big ol' dent in the side of the case. I don't have any pics from my gun handy, but this is along the lines of what I'm talking about (different caliber obviously).

(OP - sry for the hijack)
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Senior Moderator
    Wow. I definatley dont have that problem.
    Perhaps a little modification on the extractor would work.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

It's not a hijack if I'm learning something! The guy wants $550. for the rifle and 4 mags, is that a good price? If so, I think I'll go and get it in the morning. If it dings the cases I will figure out how to fix it, I mostly shoot African surplus ammo that is berdan primed, so for that it really doesn't matter.

That sounds like a good price to me. I payed $900 used for my PTR-91, but it came with a case and like 20 mags.

I don't think it's the extractor making the dent, at least on my rifle. Judging from the marks on the rifle and the shape of the dent, it looks like it's the lip on the rear of the ejection port. The pic I posted was cause by the extractor on a .223 AK, but mine is a bit different.

I did some googling last night, and turned up this page --> http://http://www.hkweaponsystems.co...&f=11&t=000699. The guy talks about using marine goop (which I have some of) to form his own port buffer. He's using it specifically to protect the finish, but I've heard it helps protect the brass too.

flag, I actually meant that Mark had the bolt gap specs there somehwere, to check with the feeler gauge.

bob, that case ding looks a bit harsh. I would almost wonder if you don't have a 9mm ejector in there, trying to ram the case our before the bolt is retracted as far as it sould be. My 91 had the classic striations, but never gouged a case like that.

Senior Moderator
    I don't think it's the extractor making the dent, at least on my rifle.
    Correct.
    By modifying and altering the angle of the the extractor, you can often change where your brass is thrown.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Rob - that pic is not from my rifle, but it's similar damage. My casings are not as sharply creased, just wanged real good. That's a good suggestion on the ejector - I'll have to look into that.

Hotguns, do you have any resources on extractor mods? From what I've heard, this is a fairly common issue on G3 pattern rifles. I'd be interested to see if anyone has been able to cure it, cause I'd sure love to reload that pricey .308. :)

Senior Moderator
    Hotguns, do you have any resources on extractor mods? From what I've heard, this is a fairly common issue on G3 pattern rifles. I'd be interested to see if anyone has been able to cure it, cause I'd sure love to reload that pricey .308. :)
    Not really. I had read somewhere a long time ago,that filing a slight angle on the exactor caused it flip the cases in a different direction that might be easier on the brass.Its kind of a trial and error thing. You file a bit then shoot it to see where it lands.

I didnt have that problem on mine, but I know that it works for 1911 models cause I've done it.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links