Does a pistol caliber carbine have any useful defensive purpose?

This is a discussion on Does a pistol caliber carbine have any useful defensive purpose? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just attended my first tactical shoot match. It was a three gun shoot: pistol, shotgun and pistol caliber carbine. I do not own a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does a pistol caliber carbine have any useful defensive purpose?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I just attended my first tactical shoot match. It was a three gun shoot: pistol, shotgun and pistol caliber carbine. I do not own a carbine, but I met a friendly gentleman who let me shoot his M1. (I broke it, but that is another story.)

I want to participate again in these matches and I probably should buy my own carbine, rather than break someone elses. One person had a Beretta Storm 9mm but by the time he finished adding everything he ended up spending close to $1000. An M1 I believe goes for close to $700. A Ruger PC9 can cost about $500, etc, etc, etc.

Before I go and spend the big bucks, I would like to know if a pistol caliber carbine has any useful defensive purpose or am I just going to be using it for these matches.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I think a pistol caliber carbine has a lot of uses for self defense. If it's not a 1000+ match gun, they make a great trunk gun. For home defense, I prefer a shotgun, but for the zombie invasion, and for the sake of ammo matching, I would rather have the carbine.

And you need to stop breaking other people's guns! I said in the other thread we would have to reschedule...now I'm just canceling all together.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Well, IMO, you might find it easier to shoot although ar-15 in .223 are pretty light recoilers. You would get higher velocities I believe because of the longer barrel as well. Maybe they are a little less loud than a .223? I'm not sure about that though. The only real advantage I might see in one is that you could use the same ammo in your carbine as your side arm. If you have a the berretta pistols, you can use the same mags as the storm too.
    I would probably opt for an ar-15 over a pistol calliber carbine unless you really want to shoot 9mm in it and save some money on ammo.
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

Administrator
    They sure do...IMO, they are just about perfect for a homeowner for defensive use. The PC9's can be tough to come by lately, I've been unofficially searching for one for a while now.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sponsor
    Get one, a pistol caliber carbine is a fantastic thing to have around. It stretches the accuracy of a pistol round waaay out with a longer sight radius and also gives greater velocity with the longer barrel in most cases.

A 16" lever action in .357 (or my personal fav for that type gun, .45 Colt) is a VERY serious defensive tool not to be underrated. That might not be just what you're thinking for a match, but it's a dandy example.
    Mark Craighead
    Owner/Founder
    CrossBreed Holsters LLC
    http://www.crossbreedholsters.com

Mo
    If your choice is between a Rifle or Pistol-Cal Carbine, I'd much rather shoot a 9mm Beretta storm in my living room than an AR in .223, since you're not going to have ears in. I'm also not volunteering to be shot with a 9mm AR or something similar, it's plenty effective and you can put 3 in someone pretty quickly in carbine form - probably faster than you could with a handgun.

I keep a 12 Ga for home defense, but I wouldn't feel undergunned with a Beretta Storm propped up against the nightstand instead.

VIP Member
    I have a lever-action Model 92 in .44 Magnum (20-inch barrel). Most juries would look at it and see "deer gun." I see "undercover urban rifle." OMO, YMMV. Good luck with whatever you choose!

I think so. Ive been pondering a 9mm to go along with my stockpile. Hi cap mags and a skosh extra oomph and range: Why not?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I've been toying with the smaller-format rifles over the past 20mos or so, including several pistol-caliber variants:
    • Marlin 1894P .44mag lever-action -- 16" bbl, 7 shots, still not quite broken in, very accurate. For those who recommended a .44 lever-action back when, thanks much!
    • Marlin 1894CP .357mag lever-action -- 16" bbl, 8 shots, smooth as buttah, accurate.
    • Ruger PC9 9mm semi-auto -- 16" bbl, w/ Ruger 15rd factory mags, easy to shoot, little recoil, accurate. Unknown to gunsmiths, really, but that's its only downside.
    • Springfield Armory M1 Carbine (.30 carbine) -- 18" bbl, w/ peep sight and 15rd or 30rd mags, a bit larger kick, a better gun for a bit longer range (I think), and very accurate.

Of all of these, I think the Marlin 1894CP is the handiest. Recoil is light, follow-up shots are pretty quick, it's accurate and very smooth. The PC9 is probably the fastest (for me) to empty the magazine, and its heft tames what little recoil the 9mm round has. Either of the lever-actions is, as suggested, more of an "under-cover urban defensive" rifle, rather than a "deer" rifle.

For defensive purposes, I see the pistol-caliber carbine as a reasonable option for outdoor activities, such as camping or hiking, working a larger property or ranch. Having a carbine in which the calibration is the same as the sidearm is attractive, to me. In close-quarters around the property, I prefer a shotgun and pistol, rather than carbine and pistol. It all depends on how you're going to use them and where your proficiency lies.

exactlymypoint: Next time you have one of them thar tactical competitions that uses a carbine, we'll head out to the range with the spread of pistol-caliber choices I have. You're welcome to root around through the lot to see what works. IMO, you'll love the .357 lever-action rifle. You've already used the PC9 and M1 Carbine. The .44 lever-action is not nearly as smooth (at least mine isn't) and kicks much harder, so it would be far less useful in a competition of this sort.

Of course, you'll need to sit down with my insurance agent and purchase one of them fancy gun policies ... you know, the ones that guard against breakage, and all.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Why not find an old Marlin Camp Carbine in 9mm or 45? great little shooters, uses S&W 59/69 mags.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

I would say yes---simply because I'd really like to have a an AR-15 in 9mm! A long gun with short range ammo? Sure!

BAC
    Why use a pistol caliber when you can use a rifle caliber, out of curiosity? If you just want a pistol-caliber carbine, by all means get one, but if you have the option between a pistol or rifle caliber carbine for self defense, why short-change yourself?

-B

Can I play?

Commander
    1927A1 Deluxe

They made up a match that fits my toy box?

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I got the CX4-Storm in .40cal, for legal reasons I had the barrel extended, I also felt the .40cal would get the most gain from the longer barrel. I find it a great soft shooting carbine with a reduced noise/flash, it's light and easy to use. I plan on training my wife on it as a HD gun when I am not home. It is stunningly accurate, fired 10 rds standing into a quarter size hole at around 15-20m on my first shoot with it. I put a holosight onto it and have a light and laser for it. Worth every dime

As indicated here, a pistol caliber carbine probably is not a best choice for self defense, but it is better in many cases than just a pistol. I certainly find it much easier to shoot my Beretta Storm 9mm CX4 distance than my pistols.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links