What is a good red dot sight?

This is a discussion on What is a good red dot sight? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking for a good quality red dot sight for the pistol caliber carbine I am going to ultimately get for the tactical matches ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a good red dot sight?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

What is a good red dot sight?

I am looking for a good quality red dot sight for the pistol caliber carbine I am going to ultimately get for the tactical matches I will compete in. I don't want the cheapest one, but i don't need the most expensive one either. Something mid ranged. Any suggestions?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

I really like my EOTECH. They are pretty expensive, but worth the cost to me. The only complaint I have with it is that it is so slow to adjust the brightness. Once you get it where you want it though, it is great.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

The J-Point is excellent. Pride-Fowler, Burris and Trijicon also make variations of it, the differences being the presence or absence of an on-off switch, and (IIRC) waterproofing. I prefer the polymer lens, as it is somewhat more abuse-tolerant that laminate glass. Prices range from around $190-289.

VIP Member
    I have a Bushnell Red Dot/Green Dot sight. I like it, it works well.

C-more...... The winningest dot sight out there...
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I have had a BSA red dot (wally world special) for over 3 years now. At $30 it was worth it, in comparison to some of their scopes.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I have a bushnell holosight,and an ATN digital the atn is about 170.00 has 4 reticle patterns and several brightness adjustments at the push of a button,is not too bulky or heavy,I use it on my 22 target pistol
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

BAC
    Well I was gonna say Aimpoint, but that depends how much you're willing to spend. The Comp M4 is considered the best out there right now for hard use, but those who aren't carrying on duty could easily get away with the other Aimpoint models.

-B

LaRue Tactical

If they carry it, it's Matiki approved.

I'll take a $100 finders fee... trust me, it won't sting a bit after forking over for your optics.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Well, since you are getting so many different models, I thought I'd add mine. I have a Barska, which has been inexpensive, and trouble free.

RED DOT SCOPES
    Attached Images
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I would also suggest Aimpoint, but from your intended use I'd think the CompC3 would serve your purposes well. It isn't waterproof to more than a few feet, and doesn't have any night vision settings, and is priced less than the similar models with those features (that you won't likely need).

Austin

I've got a Truglo 2x 42mm dual color (red or green) and multi-reticles (4 different reticles) site on my Cx4. 2 power magnification, shock resistant, waterproof/fog proof, see-thru flip up lens caps, 10 position rheostat for brightness control - 5 settings for each color, windage and elevation adjustments, and an integrated Weaver-style mounting system. This is a great sight for the money, about $145.00. Yea, it's a step down from the Aimpoint, but cost about half as much. BTW, the Truglo has a lifetime Warranty which is hard to beat for a sight in this price range.
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

I tried cheap $20-$30 red dot sights that were supposed to be parallax free but they had too much parallax error at close range. I ditched them and got a Millet SP-1($60) and it works great with no parallax.

When speaking of "cheap" red dots, just how bad are the cheap BSA's? I was thinking of buying one to slap on my Ruger PC9GR when I finally get it off layaway. I have never used a red dot so I dont want to spend a bunch of money on one in case I dont like them.

Quote Originally Posted by firestarplus View Post
    When speaking of "cheap" red dots, just how bad are the cheap BSA's? I was thinking of buying one to slap on my Ruger PC9GR when I finally get it off layaway. I have never used a red dot so I dont want to spend a bunch of money on one in case I dont like them.
    Based on my experience ("in general"), under about $100 usually gets you a product of limited reliability when it comes to holographic/red-dot scopes. A little more than that and you get something reliable but not rugged. When you get into the Eotechs ($350~+), Aimpoints ($400~+) and Trijicon ACOG's ($+) you are looking at product more likely to survive a long fall onto a pile of rocks than your rifle itself.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links