New Toy... Accessorizing Now?

This is a discussion on New Toy... Accessorizing Now? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, I took the plunge after shooting one and orderd a Remington 700 Police. Now I am trying to pick out the basics for painting. ...

Thread: New Toy... Accessorizing Now?

New Toy... Accessorizing Now?

Ok, I took the plunge after shooting one and orderd a Remington 700 Police. Now I am trying to pick out the basics for painting. I live in WV and have pretty good foliage around here and wondered if anyone wanted to throw in their .02 $ on what colors I should use to camoflage it, or have pictures I could check out.

Also... who else has done this? Anything you feel like adding would be great! Do you like it, dislike it? Things you would have done the same or differently?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Don't paint it. Invest in a gun sock similar to guile suits. But please, don't paint it.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

LOL!!!!! That sounded pretty desperate SonofASniper. I've thought about doing that too though. Any particular reason not to paint it?

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    A Police Rem 700 is black and is a "tactical" shotgun. Not likely gonna be outside with it where camo pattern would do any good

Leave it black!

If you just have to have camo on it, buy furniture for it that is already camouflage pattern and bolt it on. Leave the metal alone

I would invest in a good tactical light with mount and pressure switch so you can activate the light without having to let go of the forend.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Cabela's -- Snake Skins Gun Camo Kit
    The alternative to tapes and gun socks. Wrap it around your favorite firearm and apply heat from a blow dryer to make the "skin" shrink to fit the gun with a tight seal. Easy, no-cleanup removal.
    Camo patterns: Mossy Oak® Break-Up™, Realtree Hardwoods® Green HD™, Advantage® MAX-4 HD™.

I agree, it would be a sin to paint it.

XD, why would you put a tac light on a long range bolt action? Just wondering, I've never seen that before.

Lead Moderator
    Do as you wish with it. If painting if sounds like fun, why not. I have used the stick on decals , they work well , but need to be replaced after a season or 2 of hunting.
    A Rem 700 is a bolt gun alright.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Buy a Harris bipod, $1K decent glass, a hardcase, Seekonk set torque wrench and BC lens covers first. Then spend your $80-100 on Gunkote/Duracoat/etc..

I've picked up a good deal on a Mark 4 4.5-14x40mm LR/T Target scope, picked up a torque wrench and it came with lensecovers so most of that is pretty well set Rob72.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Cabela's -- Snake Skins Gun Camo Kit
    The alternative to tapes and gun socks. Wrap it around your favorite firearm and apply heat from a blow dryer to make the "skin" shrink to fit the gun with a tight seal. Easy, no-cleanup removal.
    Camo patterns: Mossy Oak® Break-Up™, Realtree Hardwoods® Green HD™, Advantage® MAX-4 HD™.

I agree, it would be a sin to paint it.
    +1. this is a great option...painting it would kill the value of the gun. but the choice in the remington 700 police is outstanding...
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin132 View Post
    XD, why would you put a tac light on a long range bolt action? Just wondering, I've never seen that before.

ACK!!

I wouldnt! Sorry. It musta been late and me tired. I thought you posted about a Police model Rem 870 shotty. My bad. I will shut up now
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

No no, don't shut up! I like all ideas, I just was bumfuzzled by that one lol. You are all good!

I'm really set on wanting to paint this thing. I don't know why, and I have a problem painting my AR, but this one I want to paint... I have heard that break free can remove Krylon paint but I am not counting on it.

When I bought a used 18.5" barrel for my Mav 88 it wasnt in perfect condition so I painted it with silver high temp engine paint and cleared it with high temp clear. Turned out better than I expected and so far has held up well.

Links