Got my stripped lowers....before the possible ban

This is a discussion on Got my stripped lowers....before the possible ban within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well I don't know if I want a black gun, but I may. And before the possible ban, I decided to go get 2 stripped ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got my stripped lowers....before the possible ban

Got my stripped lowers....before the possible ban

Well I don't know if I want a black gun, but I may. And before the possible ban, I decided to go get 2 stripped lowers. One for myself and one for my father. DPMS for $114. Also found a guy that will give me the NC CCW Safety course for $65 this Sunday.

So who makes good M4 kits?

Thanks, Dave.

2. Remove Ads

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Hate to tell you...Its not the lowers that will be banned.....

Its the 4-6 position stocks (because those are so horrible) God help us if a short 18 year old kid hits puperty late and now has to move his stock up two more positions. THINK OF THE CHILDREN! The Plastic veritical piece where your weak hand goes, the threads they cut into your barrel to make it except a super evil killer flash hider, the lug that lets you attach a pointy knife, the $5 pistol grip, the 14.99 GI Magzines that you can still get at gun shows for $10.

I'm forgetting a Barrell shroud. You know that thing that goes "UP!" Because those are so horrible and have taken the lifes of so many. Thank the lord they are getting rid of the barrel shroud.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Ok....funny joke

What he said,but if they do a total ban you won't be able to buy any new items threaded barrels or unthreaded barrels stocks,kits,I think that this time if they try to ban them it's not gonna be cosmetic it will be about banning the whole gun,the AR15 the AK clones the M1,anything capable of accepting large capacity magazines maybe even Ruger 10/22 you don't know how far it can try to go because most of the people writing this crap up have never touched a gun
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

BAC
    To answer your question, lots of people make kits, and good becomes a matter of how much you're willing to pay for quality control. Anvil Arms lower parts kits seem to be alright, and are priced well ($55). I've got one sitting in my upper-less parts gun. Everything went in fine, but without shooting it and running it at a course I can't make claims. DPMS will also run about $55 for a lower parts kit, Rock River Arms goes up to the $60-$70 range. Stag/CMT kits look like they're around the same.

The higher end (meaning, much greater quality control) kits cost more. LMT and Colt lower parts kits are going to cost about $100 more than any of the above, with Colt's being more expensive. You can find LMT parts kits here for $152 without the grip (a part most people swap out anyway), and Colt parts kits here (0.155)/here (0.170) at Secialized Armament Warehouse for $175.

Stocks you can get from a lot of places. Surplus A1 stock kits in usable condition you can snag for $45, but they're drying up quick and are harder to find (I got lucky). Current/new stock kits will cost something like $65-$75 for a standard A2 or standard adjustable stock. There are all kinds of stocks out there, depending on what you the shooter likes and are most comfortable with. The Magpul CTR is a great stock going for just under $100, and more expensive stocks can get upward $300.

Hope this helps.

-B

Okay. Explain me this if you all would. So the lower has the serial number correct? Uppers don't right? Say there is a future ban. During the ban you have a few pre-ban lowers (identified pre-ban by serial number). Maybe you have some pre-ban parts like the collapsible stock, or a barrel with flash suppressor/bayonet lug etc....... Maybe even some pre-ban complete uppers. Wouldn't assembling any of these parts into complete rifles be illegal especially if you're mixing manufacturer parts? I don't mean to be a party pooper, but what's the scoop? We are talking the AR-15 of course.

I guess the lower is considered the rifle by the ATF, so when you buy a lower you own the rifle. Maybe this is not the case, I'm not a lawyer.

Austin

As long as the lower is pre-ban you are okay,the problem would be if they make it illegal to sell any parts for the guns in the ban,no grandfather exempts whatever,it would be like if you're gun breaks there may not be any parts available to repair it,that would be a worse case scenario,also during last cosmetics ban IIRC unless you had a registered class 3 firearm and sent the paperwork you couldn't buy a collapsible stock that wasn't pinned or a threaded barrel or front sight with bayonet lug, high capacity mag over 10 rounds cost an arm and a leg.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    As long as the lower is pre-ban you are okay,the problem would be if they make it illegal to sell any parts for the guns in the ban,no grandfather exempts whatever,it would be like if you're gun breaks there may not be any parts available to repair it,that would be a worse case scenario,also during last cosmetics ban IIRC unless you had a registered class 3 firearm and sent the paperwork you couldn't buy a collapsible stock that wasn't pinned or a threaded barrel or front sight with bayonet lug, high capacity mag over 10 rounds cost an arm and a leg.
    This my friends, is exactly what they've been trying to do.

HR 1022 text

(37) Conversion Kit- The term `conversion kit' means any part or combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting a firearm into a semiautomatic assault weapon, and any combination of parts from which a semiautomatic assault weapon can be assembled if the parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.
    `(z) It shall be unlawful for any person to transfer any assault weapon with a large capacity ammunition feeding device.'.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    (37) Conversion Kit- The term `conversion kit' means any part or combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting a firearm into a semiautomatic assault weapon, and any combination of parts from which a semiautomatic assault weapon can be assembled if the parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.
    Translation:Super-accurate bolt action sniper rifles are next, back to the muzzle loaders with ye!

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I am looking at Model1sales.com for my upper...actually whole kit...
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

I have bought a couple of model 1 sales kits and have had good luck,I believe they have the expedition kit upper which is supposed to be a tack driver and which would be my next kit to purchase

I bought my latest AR from Model1sales... one of their EM4 kits with welded Phantom FH.

I'm using what was going to be optics money to buy another rifle before the election... then I'll work on optics for both.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

BAC
    Again I'll ask what the rifle will be used for... if it's just to have one, even if only as a potential cash cow, then to each their own; Model 1 Sales is popular among tinkerers just figuring stuff out (I'll probably have their parts in the future as I get more into gun smithing). A lot of users (read: non-bench-rest shooters) aren't exactly pleased with Model 1 Sales AR-15 parts for working rifles.

-B

I want just a standard AR. I may get a varminter, but prob not. Just the standard one that I carry overseas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links