Red dot vs. scope

This is a discussion on Red dot vs. scope within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For competition, hunting, plinking, etc, is there an advantage to having a red dot sight or a standard optical scope?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red dot vs. scope

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Red dot vs. scope

For competition, hunting, plinking, etc, is there an advantage to having a red dot sight or a standard optical scope?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

You can have both. I've seen (but not used) configurations of a red dot/holosight optic, coupled with a low power magnifying scope. Depending on the mount, the magnifier can be easily removed, or even just pivoted out of the line of sight.

To me, it seems to be a factor of how far you need to reach out to 'touch' someone.

-JT

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I think a red dot allows you to keep both eyes open so you don't lose your peripheral view and get the tunnel vision of a scope.

It depends on how far you're shots are,A red dot is a fast acquisition type scope you put the dot where you want bullet to hit and they are good for out to at least 100 yards
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I mount a red dot on my AR-15 carry handle for close work, then remove the carry handle and mount a scope on the flat top for the distant work, then remove the scope and install the rear sight on the flat top for high power.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Bushnell makes a 3x power scope that also has a red dot reticle
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Trijicon has the TRD with a red dot on top of the ACOG - very nice, and very pricy.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Another factor is age; as we get older and eyes get worse, red dot's can start to prism; or spread out. It's wierd but always look through one a bit before buying; with and without glasses and/or contacts. I just bough an eotech for my AR15 and love it but without glasses or contacts it looks like a red burst in the tube!

As the other's said, I think reddots work best for close range, self defense both eyes open shooting or something like for turkey hunting with a shotgun. For anything starting at 100 and out, or for more precision, I love a good scope. I put an eotech on my AR15 because I set it up for a 50-100 yard defensive weapon. Beyond that I'm likely running.

I have to agree with several others. I have an Eotech on my AR and it is primarily geared for less than 100 yard shooting. However I have seen guys handle tagrets out to almost 400 with the red dot sights. I do not have that good of eye sight. The Eotech does have the round circle that I can use to keep my rounds in a man size target out to 300. It all depends on the entended use I guess.
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

~ Thomas Jefferson

I usually acquire a target with both eyes open even with a magnified scope. As for options, they are making 45 degree weaver mounts that let you mount a scope and a small red dot like a J point right next to it. This is less expensive than a Trijicon+Jpoint.

For my money, I like my Trijicon Reflex II. It was about $300, uses no batteries and self-adjusting to ambient lighting. I bought the 12 MOA amber triangle model, and it's proven accurate out to 300 yards.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I am having the same problem, I just can't decide...I think I am going to use quick release mounts, that keep your zero..and buy both...scope for long distance, and red dot for close...
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

It is cheaper than buying a different rifle for each situation lol,I have a commando for Home defense,I have a stainless 18"match barrel with 6x24 scope fer long range varmints and my wife has a RRA tactical entry w/eotech for shooting fun
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Red dot, very fast target acquisition, peripheral vision use, fast followup shots ... traditional scope will give you longer shots with much more precision.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    In combat a Red Dot is awesome, it allows fast acquisition and changing targets quickly without the BG knowing you are going to shoot him until his head is removed.

As far as civilian use, I would have both zeroed. Red dot mounted for self defense at home until I go out hunting or to the range. If BG is far enough away the you need the Scope then you have enough time to mount the Scope.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

You might want to think about a Millett DMS-1 Tactical Scope. That's a 1 to 4 power scope that has a red donut in the middle. I have one on my Superior Arms S-15 rifle and I like it. So far I've had zero problems with it.
    Imagine that you're an enemy soldier and you are surrounded by U.S. Army paratroopers on one side and American marines on the other side... Talk about a hopeless situation... That has got to be legal grounds for suicide!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links