Yankee Hill Machine Products - - any opinions?

This is a discussion on Yankee Hill Machine Products - - any opinions? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; On my AR-15 that was just finished, I chose to use a lot of products by Yankee Hill Machine. Their stuff looks awesome and most ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yankee Hill Machine Products - - any opinions?

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

On my AR-15 that was just finished, I chose to use a lot of products by Yankee Hill Machine. Their stuff looks awesome and most of what I have has given me no problems at all. However, today at the range, my front flip sight/gas block kinda fell apart. The gas block part is still good and is still tight on the barrel. Nothing broke at all.

The pin that the fron flip post uses to swivel on just fell out at some point. I picked up my rifle and noticed the sight stem just fall to the ground. I recovered the stem post and the detent spring that unlocks the sight post so it can be flipped down. I did not find the main pin.

Anyone else had any trouble with YHM stuff? I would think that the mere 250 rounds that have been through my AR is not enough to cause this type of product failure that soon.

I cant see a company such as YHM making a shoddy product, but I cannot see any way that the main pin would have been secured from coming out. Surely my sight block must be a simple defective unit??

YHM has a great warranty (according to their brochure) so I suspect the shop I purchased from will repair it or replace it.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

2. Remove Ads

EAJ
    I have a few of their products (sights and quad rails) on two of my rifles which I installed about two years ago and haven’t had any issues with them, but every manufacturer is capable of producing an imperfect part from time to time. Have the retailer replace it or call YHM (1-877-892-6533) directly. They’re pleasant folks and will treat you right. :)

I use their flip up front & rear sights on my ARs both in .223 and .308. I haven't had any problems.

I met the YHM guys at the NRA show. Good folks-give them a call. I'll bet they will fix you up.
    Dave

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Called my supplier today and they said bring it in. Will be replaced. Good folks where I shop.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Everything I have heard of Y.H has always been positive, glad they are taking care of you.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I have one of there LightWeight 4 Free Floating Rails (the newer version with the anti rotation screws)

And I really like it!! Its really solid and well built. I cant find any flaws in it.
    Plus its ALOT cheaper than some of the competition and those cant be that much more sturdy!

I have one of their cans which I like a lot if that helps.

Maybe I'm the only one but I've never considered putting anything from YHM on my rifles.

their suppressors cheap, but their also about as good as a home made can on the hanging off the end of the rifle. Surefire is the only way to go with suppressors and then SWR and then maybe AAC.

I just never have been impressed with anything from YHM.

Just my .02
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    Maybe I'm the only one but I've never considered putting anything from YHM on my rifles.

their suppressors cheap, but their also about as good as a home made can on the hanging off the end of the rifle. Surefire is the only way to go with suppressors and then SWR and then maybe AAC.

I just never have been impressed with anything from YHM.

Just my .02
    I have both a YHM and an AAC for my AR and both seem to work the same. Granted the YHM is not as nice to look at but for the money it works very well!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay6 View Post
    I have both a YHM and an AAC for my AR and both seem to work the same. Granted the YHM is not as nice to look at but for the money it works very well!
    For the money I suppose one would be alright, but I've seen a large POI shift out the YHM suppressors on a flat range. As much 6"moa to 8" moa. Something that you won't see with Surefire or SWR. But, Surefire comes with a price too.

AAC has some decent .5.56 cans that are well suited for a battle rifles as well. There newest AAC .45 ACP can is probably the most quite can on the market.

For the money I suppose one would be alright, but I've seen a large POI shift out the YHM suppressors on a flat range. As much 6"moa to 8" moa. Something that you won't see with Surefire or SWR. But, Surefire comes with a price too.

AAC has some decent .5.56 cans that are well suited for a battle rifles as well. There newest AAC .45 ACP can is probably the most quite can on the market.

Really? I have not seen such a change. What was your rate of twist? What was the ammo?

Really? I have not seen such a change. What was your rate of twist? What was the ammo?
    Ammunition was ss109/M855. I believe the rifle was a Colt lower with an LMT 16" upper. So it would have been a 1/7 twist rate.

As I said the best I've seen is the Surefire with a .5 moa-1moa shift.

ETA: This particular rifle was having some blowback failures. I believe he may have had a standard buffer and no gas buster charger. This may have attributed to the shift in POI. I'd be interested to see one again with heavy buffer and gas buster charger.

Ammunition was ss109/M855. I believe the rifle was a Colt lower with an LMT 16" upper. So it would have been a 1/7 twist rate.

As I said the best I've seen is the Surefire with a .5 moa-1moa shift.

ETA: This particular rifle was having some blowback failures. I believe he may have had a standard buffer and no gas buster charger. This may have attributed to the shift in POI. I'd be interested to see one again with heavy buffer and gas buster charger.

Interesting. Sounds like I need to try a Surefire can as well
    I know that I will not do anymore business with AAC after what they pulled with one of the guys over on AR15.com

Interesting. Sounds like I need to try a Surefire can as well
    I know that I will not do anymore business with AAC after what they pulled with one of the guys over on AR15.com
    Surefires are in use today with alot of the SOF forces currently serving in the GWOT.

Not to diss YHM, but their suppressors are built with the civillian market in mind, not the military. I've had extensive use of suppressors over the years and when I switched from a Knights QD suppressor to a Surefire it was a night and day difference. Not only in sound reduction, but also the quality of the manufacturing and the ability to take full auto punishment without losing it's zero or POI shift. We cooked them pretty good and just used some spray paint to make em look new again.

I'm not sure about AAC or what happened to with your friend over at AR15 dot com but their suppressors are hard to beat. I believe they've brought themselves up to compete with Surefire in the 5.56 market. They are also supposedly the choice for the new SCAR rifle with USSOCOM. But time will tell who's can get's plugged on the end with the soldiers in the field.

Since you asked....I've checked them out a bit online. My opinions...anything made in the USA is great. Machine shop quality one can't go wrong, and hopefully very good customer support. I will say that their products, while appealing to me, are expensive enough to cause me to search other alternatives. It's quite possible I've lowered my standards in that respect.....I'm not looking for peer approval, just good, basic functionality and mass produced quality. By no means am I buying the flea market stuff, it's just that I don't stare at all day, or show off my eight to nine hundred dollar Bushmaster wearing more hardware than what the rifle is worth. I'm sort of like that with scopes as well. My best of the best deserve the best, and my Savage .308 is the only one that wears something worth more than the rifle itself and that's the scope. I still support American made when I can afford it, and I do make the effort.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links