Today I got my new 590A1 off layaway

This is a discussion on Today I got my new 590A1 off layaway within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; And I am excited. I just registered for this forum today and hoped to get some advice on the long (and happy) road ahead to ...

Thread: Today I got my new 590A1 off layaway

New Member Array yungrasshopper's Avatar

Question Today I got my new 590A1 off layaway

And I am excited. I just registered for this forum today and hoped to get some advice on the long (and happy) road ahead to making my shotgun just right.

First, the gun came with ghost ring sights -you know the one with the circle on the back and the bright orange sight at the front (excuse my vernacular, this is a newbie talking as far as shotguns go). Are there night sights for this set up? I seem to have only seen nightsights in which the front sight glows. Seems that both the front and back should glow and work together. Please advise.

Second, I got the gun home and it was the 20 inch. I can bring back and get the 18.5 inch but I am not sure if one is really better than the other. I got the gun for home defense and for that end of the world scenario when I need to defend my home and family from raiding mauraders (recall the bandits in "A Christmas Story" where "Ralphie" takes care of business with his Red Ryder BB Gun:) Please advise. I would like my wife to be able to handle this gun but one thing I have learned is that stepping up to a gun is often what's needed instead of "minimizing" a firearm to fit a person. Maybe that applies here -maybe not.

Aimpro is an outfit in Colorado that specializes in upgrading Mossberg shotguns such as porting and polishing. Is polishing the receiver, etc., a worthwhile investment?

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer to the Yungrasshopper.

2. Remove Ads

Welcome to the forum

1) I'm pretty sure I've seen Tritium ghost ring sights for Mossberg & Remington shotguns - check here:
    Ameriglo
    XS Sight Systems - Shotgun Sights

In all honesty, the rear doesn't really need to be illuminated. Considering the range and purpose of a home defense shotgun, if you put that front sight on the target, I'd bet money you'll hit it (with the long sight radius and natural tendency to line up the barrel, etc...). It's easy enough to center the glowing front sight in the rear ghost ring aperture even under low light conditions.

2) I don't know if the dealer you bought it from will exchange the barrel for you or not, but you can certainly buy another barrel for it. An 18.5" Mossberg barrel runs $80 from Cabella's. Scroll down on this page to find it: Cabela's -- Mossberg Replacement Shotgun Barrels

3) People of smaller stature and/or less upper body strength can usually handle a 12 gauge with "low recoil" ammo, which is available at many gunstores, or online. Pick up some 2&3/4" Reduced-Recoil .00 Buckshot. My 5'0 / 120lb girlfriend can handle them, I'll bet your wife can too.

4) As to upgrades, shoot it like it is for awhile and then decide if you think anything needs improvement. For as little use as a home defense shotgun will probably see, I don't think it's worth putting much money into it - a Mossy 590 should be reliable as gravity if you take good care of it.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by yungrasshopper View Post
    As I mentioned I got my Mossberg. I had it on layaway. I thought I was purchasing the 18.5" but when I got it home it was the 20". I don't know if one is "better" than the other. It is primarily for home defense for both me and my wife.

Any thoughts, experiences, insights into barrel length would be appreciated. I need to make the exchange tomorrow if I do.

Chad
    The difference in handling between an 18.5" and 20" barrel is probably negligible, although some people might say the 18.5" is better for home defense, since it's a tad bit more maneuverable in close quarters situations.

As I said, you can just by an additional barrel (they're pretty easy to change on Mossberg shotguns) for around $80, and then have both available.

Good luck.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.

Edit: Woah, after I replied, YungGrassHopper's post that I was replying to was gone.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Administrator
    the extra 1.5" isn't going to amount to anything... I wouldn't give it a second thought.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have a 20" barrel on my shotty one thing you might look at is a light #1 it lights up the target in the dark so you don't accidently shoot somebody you don't want to,mine is push button and I use my hand I put on the forearm to push the button once i'm shouldered and pointing in right direction,You can imagine deer in headlight look at that point
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Absolutely put a weapon-mounted light on there and shoot the heck out of it with the light on it to make sure the light and bulb can withstand the force generated by full-power shotgun loads.

Other than that, leave it alone! These things are beautiful in their simplicity, and the only real "upgrade" they need might be a side saddle.

If you get a chance, take a GOOD shotgun course from someone like Louis Awerbuck. You'll learn so much it'll blow your mind.

Oh, and trust me on this one, DO NOT DUTCH LOAD (mixing different loads in the magazine tube).

I also shoot a 590 and I have added some great additions for my use. First was the Knoxx Spec Ops recoil supression stock. I really only needed the adjustable stock so it would fit both the wife and I better. I got the recoil supression model just to see if it works and man does it ever. If you intend to take any classes with a lot of rounds down the barrel or shoot a lot of heavy 00 buck or slugs than I highly recommend it.

Second is a forearm with tac light. This thing is great as you can use the shotgun as normal then simply squeeze the pad and you light the room up. This is so much easier (for me any way) than trying to use a long gun and a hand held flashlight.

Last is a side saddle. Not a really important item with the 590 as it already has 8+1 capacity. However I keep mine loaded with 8 rounds of 00 buck and 6 slugs in the side saddle. This gives me the option to feed in a slug whenever I might need to.

Hope that helps.
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

~ Thomas Jefferson

Links